Volkswagen Touran - Service History on VW Touran - curious

I have looked at a couple of 3 year old Tourans, 1.9TDI.

One has 25k miles or so and has been serviced once at about 16k, the other has 34 and has been serviced twice, 16k and 30k.

Am I mistaken or does this seem like a poor service record on both cars?

The dealers tell me it is perfectly normal.

Apart from that, are these things any good? How safe are the back seats for carrying kids. They seem very vulnerable to a rear collision.

Volkswagen Touran - Service History on VW Touran - daveyjp

Perfectly normal. VWs, Audis etc use a variable servicing regime which means a service when the car tells you it needs one, or every two years whichever comes first.

My A3s did about 18,000 between services, my A2 did 23,000. Great for owners when the car is in warranty, but it could be a lottery come second hand time. It is important that expensive long life oil is used at change time and also for top ups - failure to do this can cause expensive problems.

There is no safety test for rear end shunts so unfortunately this aspect is not considered important for car designers, but the rear most seats are certainly vulnerable.

Thanks for the reply.

I think I might move any car I get to fixed interval servicing.

I suppose those rear seats can't be much more vulnerable than any other seat in a side-on collision.

Volkswagen Touran - Service History on VW Touran - unthrottled

And what would your fixed interval be? The variable service interval is a sensible idea since a car that sits on motorways all day needs servicing after far less frequently than a car that's driven only on short journeys. Neither time nor miles are necessarily a good indicator of the requirement for a service. This is one area I would definitely entrust to the ECU.

Volkswagen Touran - Service History on VW Touran - daveyjp

The service regime can be changed to fixed intervals by the dealer - it then becomes annually or every 10,000 miles.

IMHO for low mileage drivers this is the best option, but if you are a low mileage buy a petrol instead.

I would do ~20k pa.

I think a car like a Touran works best in diesel form. Certainly not in 1.6 petrol guise!

When you put it like that, it certainly makes sense.

Having run cars to 200k miles with oil changes every 6-8k, perhaps I am conditioned into that way of thinking.

Volkswagen Touran - Service History on VW Touran - AlleyCat`

This one:-

have looked at a couple of 3 year old Tourans, 1.9TDI. One has 25k miles or so and has been serviced once at about 16k.

sounds like a company car i inherited. The total mileage, age and service history is almost spot on. If it is Dark Grey and starts MK08 run away now :-)

I inherited it and it was badly abused by the previous owner (company car driver).

Edited by AlleyCat` on 07/07/2011 at 13:05

Volkswagen Touran - Service History on VW Touran - Paul G1pdc

Father in law ran a 7 seater ford galaxy as a company IBM car over a 4 year period, and 120,000 miles. I was unlucky enough to take a lift once and ended up in the rear row of seats...my head was inches away from the rear window,,,having once been involved in a rear impact shunt (i was stationary at traffic lights) ,,i then started taking my own car when we needed to head out as a family group....

very practical car though, we even moved house with it,,,,a single bed and wardrobes all fit with the seats removed...

paul.

oh his was a 2 litre petrol ghia, according to the trip computer 23mpg average....

Volkswagen Touran - Service History on VW Touran - Sofa Spud

We have a 2003 VW Touran 1.9 TDI (5-seater) and have been very happy with it. I get about 46 mpg, which is a bit less than the Passat we had before.

There have been one or two minor problems, mainly to do with the electrics, but that seems par for the course for most modern cars of most makes.

The only disappointment is that The Touran does suffer from a lot of road / tyre noise, especially in the back. I don't know if other owners will confirm this. But it's easy and pleasant to drive.

Bear in mid that the standard 7-seater Touran has NO spare wheel. The 5-seater has a full-sized spare stored under the boot floor. If you don't need 7 seats, I suggest looking for a 5 seater - they go for a few hundred pounds cheaper, like-for-like.

If you need more than 5 seats, I'd go for something bigger than a Touran unless the third row of seats are only going to be used occasionally and around town within a 30 mph zone.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 07/07/2011 at 14:50

Volkswagen Touran - Service History on VW Touran - TeeCee

> oh his was a 2 litre petrol ghia, according to the trip computer 23mpg average....

I had a 2 lite one as a company car. It wasn't the fuel consumption I objected to (fuel card, natch), it was the fact that in winter the temp gauge would crawl off the stop only after sitting in traffic for half an hour. No handy traffic jam meant no demisting of the screen! A real pain in the bottom after my previous Rover 416, which would be fully warmed by the time I got to the end of the street.

Several trips to the garage, a couple of thermostats and much fiddling later, they eventually admitted that they were "all like that sir". It ate gearboxes like they were free too.

That was the second new Ford I have ever had as a fleet car and I fully intend it to be the last. Suffice it to say that the freezing cold, gear crunching, intermittantly air-conditioned and leaky Galaxy was the better of the two.....

Volkswagen Touran - Service History on VW Touran - Paul G1pdc

GALAXY. 7 SEATER.

when the FIL came over with his new company car (said galaxy with its 2 litre zetec engine), we pointed out a screw in the rear tyre. then had to find the spare and swap it over, the 7 seater back then (we're talking about the first generation of galaxy) had the wheel under the car, held in place by a wire and spring fixing bracket (looked a bit like the fixings you use when putting up a shelf on a plaster wall...). you had to undo a nut in the cabin, which dropped the wheel down and feed the springer bracket through the ally wheel center hole...it was done up by some muppet in the factory with an airgun....the wheel brace wasn't man enough until a hammer was used....hahaha.....

only problem....well a major pain on the night in question was in heavy rain the water gutters in the engine bay couldn't cope, causing the water to overflow and run into the ECU inside the cabin....this then caused the alarm and central locking to go nuts.....at 3am!!!! by the time the AA has arrived the battery was flat....getting to the battery and drying out the ECU was an interesting task I was later told....(the ECU was later moved under the passenger seat....)

but still a practical car in many ways. his 7 seater usually meant 2 seats in the garage and then plenty of space for junk and 2 dogs...

Volkswagen Touran - Service History on VW Touran - Touranmatch

If you are looking for a 3 year old Touran it needs checking to see if the Abs pump has been changed common problem mine went in year 4 it will also need it's cambelt changing at 4 years , My 120000m 1.9 05 plate has proved reliable and given good service i have just chaged this for a 1 year old model.