Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - adwf

Hello,

I'm looking to trade in my X reg Peugeot 206 for one of the above cars.

At the moment, my budget is around the £5k mark, and ideally want a car no older than 5 years. Does anybody have any advise on the above models and what to go for?

I've done a fair amount of research and I've seen a Golf, 1.6l 3 door FSI petrol, approx 70k miles, 07 plate for just shy of £4900 on Tesco Cars - is this a good model?

I'm sure you get a lot more for your money on a Astra, but a Golf is very appealing!

Thanks

Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - Armstrong Sid
What do you mainly use your car for? MINI is the odd one out in that group, in size, cost, practicality, and image.

A Golf will cost more than an equivalent Focus which will cost more than an equivalent Astra, and I doubt you'd get a MINI for less than 5 years old and under £5k.
Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - 1litregolfeater

Over the last 5 years or so, cars have become cheapened, made and built less well. You may be better off hanging on to your old car.

A Golf would be a better bet than an Astra regarding saleabilty and reliabilty, just depends on the car.

I'd take my time and wait while petrol prices go up a lot more, and you could be looking at a very different picture in a year's time.

Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - SteveLee

Given the age range £5K would buy you, my money would be on the Astra to be more reliable than the Golf. 2003-2008 weren't exactly golden years for VW reliability, at the same time Vauxhalls massively improved – particularly the Astra which was very reliable.

Instead of the MINI I'd go for a Suzuki Swift - cheaper and more reliable - just as much fun.

Of course if money is tight and you need something you can rely on over pose value, then you need a decent manufacturer's warranty - how about a KIA C'eed? Perfectly good car, like this one, 20,500 miles on the clock, 3 years of the manufacturer's remaining, only £5,400. www.cargiant.co.uk/KIA/details-510351-KIA.asp?view...0

Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - barney100

Go for the car you most fancy or you will be looking to change again before too long!

Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - ddr

You might want to avoid tesco cars - search on here for customer experiences.

Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - jamie745

Tesco cars are actually quite expensive all things considered. Out of them four choices the Golf probably has the better build qualiity and even if you get one slightly older than the others it'll probably still last longer. The flip side is you get less car for your money in the way of gadgets and spec. You can get alot for your money with Astra's but are hit and miss on reliability, we've got them as fleet cars where i work *he says munching his lunch hungrily in office while typing this* and they're ordinary, bone stiff ride and rock solid seats being my biggest gripes. Focus isnt a bad car by any stretch but i do think you need to get up to the 1.8 engine to get any sort of poke out of it.

Other options would be the Peugeot 308 with some bargains going at the moment, ive been 08-58 plates for around 5-6k, not a bad car, more comfortable than an Astra, bit quicker than an equivalent Focus and alot of the niggly issues of the 307 have been ironed out. I would steer clear of the new Fiesta as i think its very cheaply made and too expensive, nice to drive i suppose can be fun but i wouldnt buy one, the previous one lacked power quite badly especially in its diesel models, in fact Ford hasnt made a good Fiesta since the 1.25 Zetec mk4.

Edited by jamie745 on 11/07/2011 at 15:26

Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - Roly93

I'm biased but you should get a pretty nice Focus for £5K, ou dont buy the first one you as long as you dont buy the first one you see.

Were on our second one which like the first has never given any serious trouble. Golfs are exessively expensive for their age as are Minis also.

Wouldn't trust an Astra so much as the Focus mechanically.

The only minor snag with the newer shape Focus petrols is lower gearing than the older cars, which makes them great round town but a bit thrashy at motorway speeds.

We have a 1.6 petrol which seems to do low 40's mpg whatever we do.

Well ive never liked Gofl's but they're tremendously popular and ive always been told they hold their price due to build quality but in my personal opinion writing VW Golf on it is just a way to sell us an old car for alot of money.

Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - nick1975

If you can manage with the limited back seat space and boot then get a Mini.

Nothing wrong with the others mentioned but you will need to go up the range if you want a car thats got a bit of personality and fun.

Fast forward ten years and which car will you remember fondly?

Minis make you smile everytime you drive one, in any guise. You wont regret getting one.

Theres plenty of time for the more sensible options in the future

In which case buy a Suzuki Swift, same smiles without the dodgy gearboxes (early MINIs) or engines (later MINIs) and far cheaper toboot.

Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - Paul G1pdc

well if you think about the 1.6 sport suzuki swift.

also consider the skoda fabia vrs 1.9 diesel. / 130hp / 55mpg /grp9 insurance. 6 speed.

look "you tube" for a top gear test on the mini vs the vrs.....mini has it on the corners, the torque of the fabia have it on the straights....

also note if you are fine with the mini boot space 150litre,,,why not look at the 2litre MX5 its got a LSD as standard and a 150litre boot the same as the mini....

hey why not....hahaha.....

Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - Paul G1pdc

OH just thought of another if the focus is on your list what about a mazda.3

they are based on the focus, the mazda 3 came out in about 2004-2008 then went through a face lift.

i was thinking about these when my old car went through the mot,,,just in case something expensive was found.....so did a fair bit of research on the prices and specs. on the mazda. and they are pretty well equiped and generally good milage.

Coz the Swift and MINI are cute to look at and fun to drive. The Fabia functions perfectly well, but is pig ugly like most Škodasand is stodgy to drive, I think making Škodas ugly is a VAG ploy to keep VW/Audi sales up against cheaper but functionally equivalent Škodas. Old f***s don't care what their car looks like. The VW/Audi target audience do.

Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - unthrottled

I think making Škodas ugly is a VAG ploy to keep VW/Audi sales up against cheaper but functionally equivalent Škodas.

Blatently obvious! It can't be any coincidence that the Audis look sharper than VW which look sharper than Skoda or seat. Beng a design engineer at Skoda must be a very frustrating experience. I bet all their sketches are vetoed by VAG head office: "just make it a bit more ugly..."

I dont think Skoda has designers. It has a person who gets handed a picture of a VW and told to "dumb it down a bit" and they sell that. Its frustrating because you know when you're in a Skoda you're in a car which has purposely been made to not be as good as it can be, but has been made to fill a gap.

Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - corax

Blatently obvious! It can't be any coincidence that the Audis look sharper than VW which look sharper than Skoda or seat. Beng a design engineer at Skoda must be a very frustrating experience. I bet all their sketches are vetoed by VAG head office: "just make it a bit more ugly..."

I disagree with the Seat bit. The Leon and the Ibiza (particularly the FR and Bocanegra versions) are both sharper looking than VW's conservative offerings, but the VW's have better quality interiors reflecting their price. Also the paint always looks thicker on VW's.

Edited by corax on 14/07/2011 at 20:57

Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - bonzo dog

Kia Ceed.

By far the best (age / mileage / relibility / build quality) for your money.

Not a great many knocking around - 81 on Autotrader £4k to £5k but all seem to be 2007 or 2008.

Try a Kia dealer as they should now be taking some back in PX.

Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - Avant

Current Skodas are functional rather than ugly, although the rumours are that future ones will make more concessions to style.

Personally as a Skoda owner I'm glad that the stylist hasn't been given his head at the expense of practicality. Load space isn't compromised, nor is rear visibility, which in some cars nowadays verges on the dangerous. (OK - a van has far less rear visibility, but most van drivers are conscious of this and take due care.)

OK - a van has far less rear visibility, but most van drivers are conscious of this and take due care.)

Sure, if slamming it in reverse and backing up not giving a s*** whats behind is due care then yep, i'll go along with that.

Rear visability annoys me, the Toyota iQ was banned by the DSA for being used a learner car for this reason and in my opinion the new Fiesta should follow suit.

Good second car - advice on Golf,Astra,Mini,Focus - r10rrk

I have a 2008 mk5 Golf match TDi. Its a great car and the extra price you pay can be justified through the solid build quality. I go by the book and have VW service and change my belts. In return I believe the car is very reliable considering I do 100+ miles of commute a day over the past 2.5 years. For a budget of 5K, you could be looking at a mk4 with a decent spec, or possibly a mk5 with low specs.

Personally, I would go for a mk5 with lower specs as I have heard a lot of things going wrong with the mk4. Be warned though parts/ labour is not what you call cheap. If you were going for the car above with 70K miles, make sure the belts have been changed; or you will need to do that asap.

I have also owned an Astra- which is a great workorse car, but not anywhere as refined as the Golf. I cant comment on the Astra's reliability as I haven't owned one for too long.

Edited by r10rrk on 29/07/2011 at 12:42