Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 - Engine Light - bruce wayne

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help. I have a 1.6 ford focus zetec, 2004 model. My engine light started flickering and was advised that it was the spark plugs during further investigation the plug was cracked and the mechanic found that the coil pack had gone. I had this replaced twice the first time it didnt work at all and the second time it lasted about an hour. My machanic advised that the make of part was cheap and this was common with that make of part. I have recently put a new one on a different make and the car has been running fine. The engine warning light has come on again but this time its perm on but the car runs perfectly fine (no juddering like before) i am not sure what is causing the light to stay on. If i continue to drive the car will it do serious damage or would i get a week or 2 out of it first till i have the money to fix it.

Any help or advice would be great

Thanks

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 - Engine Light - Avant

Moved to Technical.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 - Engine Light - unthrottled

The chances of getting two faulty coil packs on the bounce seem pretty small to me (unless they were from the same batch). However, the lack of spark (for whatever reason) would cause a lot of unburned fuel to be dumped into the exhaust. I'm afraid that the cat has been irreparably overheated-and is now not catalysing. The second lambda sensor in the exhaust is detecting the lack of catalytic activity and flagging the engine management light. That's my best guess. If it runs smoothly, then it should be ok to drive.

The chances of getting two faulty coil packs on the bounce seem pretty small to me (unless they were from the same batch). However, the lack of spark (for whatever reason) would cause a lot of unburned fuel to be dumped into the exhaust. I'm afraid that the cat has been irreparably overheated-and is now not catalysing. The second lambda sensor in the exhaust is detecting the lack of catalytic activity and flagging the engine management light. That's my best guess. If it runs smoothly, then it should be ok to drive.

Hi,

Thanks for your help. i am guessing that this would be a massive job then?

How much do you think i would be looking at to repair?

So if i do drive it and it is the cat will it cause more damage elsewhere?

And yeah the coil pack was from the same batch, the garage my mechanic works in says they had loads of that make that were faulty so reckon it was the same batch. Had to be the pack because the miss fire moved cilinders when it was changed.

thanks a lot for your help :)

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 - Engine Light - unthrottled

If it is an overheated cat then no it won't do any harm to anything else. But it is only a guess from the symptoms you've described-it's a tall order to unambiguously diagnose "what does EML mean?" online!

If it is an overheated cat then no it won't do any harm to anything else. But it is only a guess from the symptoms you've described-it's a tall order to unambiguously diagnose "what does EML mean?" online!

Yeah is as described since the new coil pack has been put on its being running fine then today the light came on.

There is no loss of power or juddering at all

last time it juddered really bad esp in lower gears felt like my nissan when the clutch went but now nothing just drives and accelerates normal