Seat Ibiza TDI - Car towing a motorbike with A frame - Grandfather biker

I'm thinking of the type of frame where the bike front wheel is off the ground and firmly fixed into a frame which is bolted to the towing hitch plate. The bike rear wheel follows the car.

Is it legal to move a motorbike this way?

Seat Ibiza TDI - Car towing a motorbike with A frame - cheeseman

Dont see why it would'nt be legal as long as your displaying your rear number plate & th bikes is covered up, you have a trailer board on with working lights & the rear tyre in contact with the road has legal tread. Technically it would be classed as a trailer on an A frame or dolly, as long as its all less that 750 kg (which i assume it would be) then the trailer wouldnt need a braking device. Thats my take on it anyway.

Seat Ibiza TDI - Car towing a motorbike with A frame - RT

Dont see why it would'nt be legal as long as your displaying your rear number plate & th bikes is covered up, you have a trailer board on with working lights & the rear tyre in contact with the road has legal tread. Technically it would be classed as a trailer on an A frame or dolly, as long as its all less that 750 kg (which i assume it would be) then the trailer wouldnt need a braking device. Thats my take on it anyway.

As well as being under 750kg, an unbraked trailer's gross weight has to be under 50% of the towing vehicle's kerbweight - but I imagine most motorbikes would still qualify behind an Ibiza (unless it's a Gold Wing trike!)

Seat Ibiza TDI - Car towing a motorbike with A frame - Dwight Van Driver

Because in this case the rear wheel of the motor cycle will be in contact with the road it opens up the argument the towed vehicle requires Insuranc, Excise and MOT.

I had something on this in my notes somewhere that I cannot at the moment find so I would only suggest that you posed the question on legality to VOSA ( E Mail) for a definitive answer.

dvd

Seat Ibiza TDI - Car towing a motorbike with A frame - SlidingPillar

A motor bike without drive, ie no chain or equivelent has been held to be not a mechanically propelled vehicle. But I'm also inclined to think the opposite has also featured in legal judjments.Risky in other words.

Frankly I'd rather not have the arguments and there are several good manufacturers of motor bike trailers.

Surley the bike would legally be classed as a trailer in this case ? It's number plate would be covered up (as you are not allowed to display two different number plates) & the towcars numberplate & lights would be displayed. Therefore i cant see why it would need Insurance, MOT or tax ?

Seat Ibiza TDI - Car towing a motorbike with A frame - RT

If any part of it is on the road, it's a motorised vehicle that needs iit's own insurance, MoT and VED - same applies to cars being towed.

If any part of it is on the road, it's a motorised vehicle that needs iit's own insurance, MoT and VED - same applies to cars being towed.

OK but a vehicle on the road must display a number plate, right ? If im towing a (non broken down) car on an A frame (all 4 wheels on the road) then i must cover up the cars number plate & display my own number plate & lights just as you would with a regular trailer, correct ? If its the case that I need insurance etc why could'nt i also then be charged with having a car on the road without displaying its rear number plate as you would with any other car on the road ?

Edited by cheeseman on 28/06/2011 at 12:28

Seat Ibiza TDI - Car towing a motorbike with A frame - TeeCee

Too true, reminds me of one of the funniest things I ever saw in my life. Looking out of the window of an office in Hounslow, we saw Council truck A towing rolling chassis of Council truck B with a bar, pulled over by the plod outside.

Six bald tyres, umpteen non-functional lights, no brakes, no tax, no MOT, etc ad nauseum and they wrote each item up individually as they found it. At one point the coppers' ticket book ran out and one of 'em had to go back to the car for another. Only time I've ever actually seen the police literally "throw the book" at someone.

I still wonder who lost their license, the bloke in the towing truck, the one being towed or both of 'em?

Seat Ibiza TDI - Car towing a motorbike with A frame - LOZBRY

Ihave bought one of the said a frame bike towing things and you do need (ins and mot and tax,) so happy days ,NOTt!!!!!!!. I was on a coach on the way back from the bike show at the nec, and i got talking to a man from vosa . i was telling him about my new toy for towing my bike with my campervan when he dropped a bomb shell on me he said that any motor car or bike being towed on the road that has a brake fitted the brake must be working so i dont know where i stand now as i got the frame from ebay off a busnes seller who is maufacturing them and has sold loads of them they are all stamped up with kite marks any idea s,loz

Seat Ibiza TDI - Car towing a motorbike with A frame - martint123

Never mind the legalities, I'd be wary of wrecking the bike. Unlike a car gearbox with its own oil and circulation, a bike gearbox usually sits above the sump and relies on the engine to pump oil around.

Real wheel spinning = gearbox and all cogs spinning.

Engine not running = no oil being pumped round.

all the above = trouble.

Seat Ibiza TDI - Car towing a motorbike with A frame - skidpan

Why not just buy a small bike trailer. No issues at all then.