HGVs - HGV licence renewal - argybargy

Apologies to the editorial team if this topic is in entirely the wrong place, but I didnt know where to put it.

My HGV Class 2 licence expired in January 2010, at the age of 55. I know I will need a medical to renew it and I'm pretty sure I wont need to take any form of retest, but does anyone know the procedure for renewal when an HGV licence has lapsed?

Having driven fire engines for years and having had the job sort out the paperwork, medicals etc in the past, I'm now looking to get my licence back as a vocational qualification, so I can use it to expand my employment opportunities.

Cheers in advance.

HGVs - HGV licence renewal - RT

Have a look at DVLA requirements:-

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/Need...7

Thank you. I'm not sure as to whether that link applies to my situation, because rather than renewing a licence which is about to expire, it actually expired well over a year ago.

On another forum the consensus seemed to be that submitting the application forms and passing a medical will renew entitlement, but somehow that seems a tad too easy, given that I havent driven an LGV for almost four years.

Best maybe if I clarify with the DVLA. :0)

HGVs - HGV licence renewal - RT

You've passed the HGV test, all you're doing is renewing the licence - as far as I know your entitlement to the licence isn't forfeit just because you didn't renew it before it expired.

You've passed the HGV test, all you're doing is renewing the licence - as far as I know your entitlement to the licence isn't forfeit just because you didn't renew it before it expired.

Cheers, thats the answer I was hoping for. :0)

HGVs - HGV licence renewal - Ben 10

I passed an LGV C in 1992. Got promoted in "the job" and didn't drive for nearly 15 years on shouts. At 45 I had an option to renew. I didn't bother. Then this year, 47, I went into Command Support and needed to renew my licence to drive. All I did was have a medical, sent that paperwork off with my licence. I got a shiney new updated photocard. Unless you have any medical problems. In that case there may be some delay getting it back.