All - Coasting-how far can you go? - unthrottled

Yeah, I know driving instructors tell you that your car will fly off the road if you do it but does anyone else coast in a bid to save fuel/spice up slow driving? There's a hill near where I live and starting from the top I managed 1.9 miles as measured on the trip. Then I hit the junction. That's the longest downhill stretch around-and I really wanted to hit the magic 2.0!

[you need a new hobby-Ed]

Edited by unthrottled on 23/06/2011 at 22:06

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - Bobbin Threadbare

You do need a new hobby!

I don't know but I am going to test this out tomorrow now. You can tell I'm bored being off work!!

My driving instructor told me to coast as it saves a bit of fuel.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - Graham567

On modern cars the computer turns off the fuel supply when going down hill anyway.My trip computer goes from say 48mpg to 99.99mpg when going down a hill.So no need to dip the clutch and also its not advised.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - jamie745

99mpg? Sounds magnificent. I recommend everybody always drive downhill!

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - primeradriver

Someone should tip the entire country up so the whole thing goes downhill. It'll save a fortune.

Can't see a problem with that plan at all.

What about when you want to go back the other direction?

I knew that would crop up-and it's wrong. Blame Jeremy Clarkson for promulgating that myth. An engine spinning uselessly at 2000 RPM or so 'uses' more fuel than an idling engine at 800 RPM. Think of the car's momentum being wasted spinning the engine. I would never have managed 1.9 miles in gear.

Besides, who said the engine was on? ;)

And my old banger doesn't have overrun fuel cut-off.

We're not talking big savings here-just a free way of spicing up slow driving.

In fairness Clarkson's no engineer and has often described himself as the least practical man in the world so he probably just went by some crap in some car handbook or something.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - bazza

I tried this on my home commute a few weeks ago. My Octavia usually does about 54 mpg over 16 miles of mixed roads. I coasted at every possible opportunity but still keeping with the traffic flow. I managed 60 mpg, so it does work!

It's a good game when you can't go quickly anyway. Keeps you alert and forces you to read the road ahead. I trust you blipped the throttle to get back into gear!

My 406 has very keen engine braking so unless you keep your foot to the floor it will stop by itself given time, even downhill, so im afraid i think it'd be difficult for me to try this lol.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - daveyjp

Probably about two miles of downhill road if I get no red lights and the roundabout at the bottom is clear. To get to this point I have to go on a gradual ascent for about 4 miles. It increases mileage by about 7mpg.

Modern cars do not use fuel on the overrun, typically when descending hills with no throttle applied - if you fit a live data anaylsis system to the injection system the system cycle will go to 0% as no fuel is being used.

Edited by daveyjp on 24/06/2011 at 08:53

Modern cars do not use fuel on the overrun, typically when descending hills with no throttle applied - if you fit a live data anaylsis system to the injection system the system cycle will go to 0% as no fuel is being used.

So? It could take about 7-10 hp to drive a petrol engine at 2000-2500RPM in overrun. This comes from the car's lost momentum.

Idling at 800 RPM only requires about 2.5-3 hp. You've cut the parasitic losses by about 2/3. Simples.

The fuel shut off is a red herring-unless you want to slow down anyway. Overall you use more fuel because you have top accelerate more frequently.

Edited by unthrottled on 24/06/2011 at 11:21

Have tested the Celica this morning on the best hill in Preston that I know of; it has a speed camera on it so I had to time it just right. I managed to coast for 2.01km - I measured it with my satnav . Then obviously I saw a shoe shop and had to stop and go in.

1.2 miles. Not bad.

Stop goading Jamie!

Who, me? ;-)

*smacks Bobbin's backside*

You're very brave trying that. What if I'm built like a brick s***house and wallop you back?

Jamie must have some good numbers. Peugeots are always coasting-generally towards the hard shoulder.

Neither of you are very funny. My Peugeot is wonderful thank you very much, but as i explained about its near impossible to coast lol.

And as for you missy, i think i need to sort you out! :P

Peugeots are always coasting-generally towards the hard shoulder.

ROFL!

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - Pug Eyed

Right: here's one for the anti-Peugeot anti-coasting brigade.

My longest coast was on the Jerusalem to Modi'in road (443), quite recently, in my late, much lamented Peugeot 505 automatic (1984 vintage). I coasted 9.9 kilometers mainly in neutral, using engine braking in top (of three gears) when my speed exceded 120 kph. Over the distance I descended about 550 meters. Overall, on the journey up to Jerusalem, I got about 7 kilometers per liter; coming back about 9.

I did this only once with my wife in the car, she shook more than the car did.

Respect, please.

SimonB

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - TeeCee

Jamie must have some good numbers. Peugeots are always coasting-generally towards the hard shoulder.

You so owe me a new keyboard, this one's just taken a soaking in coffee....

That's because this thread is fun! The only other live one is about embarressing medical conditions and really falls under the purview of patient confidentiality rather than motoring discussion. Ooh! Would anyone like to hear how the high humidity of Honda's HVAC system caused a relapse of the athlete's foot saga. This made operating the brake pedal very painful. It's a miracle that my wife and children weren't killed. Toyota refuse to acknowledge the problem.

........NO!...really......really no.

Someone asked a physics-y question in the non-motoring section. Jamie's head'll explode.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - John F

So? It could take about 7-10 hp to drive a petrol engine at 2000-2500RPM in overrun. This comes from the car's lost momentum.

Idling at 800 RPM only requires about 2.5-3 hp. You've cut the parasitic losses by about 2/3. Simples.

The fuel shut off is a red herring-unless you want to slow down anyway. Overall you use more fuel because you have top accelerate more frequently.

Well said, Unthrottled. I argued this point to oblivion several weeks ago in response to HJ's erroneous assertion that coasting doesn't save fuel. I will happily reopen the argument with anyone whose understanding is capable of at least A level physics standard.

Might not be many contributers! In a petrol, the savings are definitely tangible, but perhaps more marginal in a diesel. Coasting is really just a manual (and more efficient) way of trying to do what hybrid cars do. Keep the engine under load where its more efficient them decouple it completely when it isn't required. It whiles the time away on an A road where there's a stream of traffic doing 37ish.

The hypermilers dub ithe method 'pulse and glide'.

Might not be many contributers!

The hypermilers dub ithe method 'pulse and glide'.

Oh come on! 'Burn and coast' is better ;-)

More efficient way to drive that, pushing the accelerator then completely easing off.

How does that help? Now don't let the side down. You're supposed to be bright!

Check it: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy-maximizing_beha...t

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - dieselnut

' In a petrol, the savings are definitely tangible, but perhaps more marginal in a diesel. '

I thought the savings would be greater with a diesel as it will be running much leaner at tickover than the petrol?

I've certainly noticed a good 5-10% improvement in consumption with my 130PD Passat.

Be careful about comparing AFRs on petrols and diesels at low load. At idle a diesel might run at 100:1, whereas a petrol runs at 14.7:1, but don't forget the petrol is heavily throttled-the diesel isn't so the petrol doesn't really use 6 times as much fuel.

The big issue with petrols is that in overrun, they essentially become huge vacuum pumps and, at speed, this can become the dominant parastic force. Diesels don't suffer from this. You've still got the saving in mechanical friction though. All interesting stuff!

Thanks unthrottled, think I understand that you're saying the petrol uses less air than the diesel rather than more fuel.

The biggest savings are by reading the road further ahead to avoid braking together with the gradient of the road to assist coasting.

Definitely! (Actually, your hypothesis was right-the diesel does use less fuel at idle-roughly half)

I think that the reading the road ahead is where the biggest gain is. My favourite one is coasting up to a set of lights that are on red and an impetuous driver overtakes the 'dodderer' and accelerates right up to the red light and has to stop. 20 seconds later, lights change and dodderer hits the green light from a 20mph rolling start and zaps past speedy Gonzales. Making better progress and saving fuel=result!

To the people who say it's dangerous, I would say that inattention is the greatest risk factor. If I drive at a steady 40mph, I get bored and stop concentrating. I learned a hell of a lot about planning ahead and preserving momentum and these tools are transferrable to more sporty driving.

BTW-What's your preferred approach to going uphill? Some people say argue that keeping a constant throttle position and losing speed is best, whereas I'm sticking to the constant speed approach arguing that the engine is more efficient under load and that the increased consumption is nothing to worry about since a large chunk of the fuel is being converted to potential energy which powers the inevitable downhill coast. I think the real time mpg meter confuses a lot of people and makes them frightened to touch the throttle!

' BTW-What's your preferred approach to going uphill? '

If there is a downhill section before the uphill I usually use this to build speed then let it bleed off back to about peak torque which is about 1750rpm or approx 60mph for my car.

Your right about the real time mpg which drops alarmingly as soon as you hit even the slightest gradient. But you've got to get the car up there so seems best to do it at the most efficient revs.

My approach to going uphill is to use the pedal on the right which has a tendancy to propel the vehicle in a forward motion.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - bathtub tom

>>the diesel does use less fuel at idle-roughly half

Which is why I used to freeze if I sat in a jam for any length of time during the Winter. Very little fuel used = little waste heat = poor heater output.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - 1litregolfeater

This unnamed hill sounds a bit like the M62, where you can coast forever all the way down from the top. Great at night but usually in the day you have to engage power at times to avoid getting run down.

All the way from Yorkshire into Lancashire, here we go, wheeeee

Car once conked near Scammonden Dam and it was only that hill that got me home and saved me £70 recovery. Just managed it up J17

I'll bear that in mind for doing Preston to Leeds and back next week!

I've coasted that hill! Like you say, aerodynamic drag quicly slows you down to some inconvenient speeds so the road needs to be fairly quiet. At 50mph, you don't beed a very steep hill to maintain speed though.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - brum

I once coasted over 53 miles

Mind you I did have a rope attached at the front of the car to the one in front.

Bet that was 'fun'. you musthave been exhausted by the end!

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - galileo

Once drove from Redesdale to Morpeth,going over the top of the hills. The B road down to Morpeth must have been at least 6 miles 'coastable' downhill, no traffic, no hairpin bends or other causes to slow.

A refreshing change from congested West Yorkshire.

Nirvana! I'm tempted to drive up there and try it.

Now I think about it, when I worked in Edinburgh in the sixtiesand travelled up the A68 I foolishly didn't fill up one night - the gauge was reading empty at the top of Carter Bar - I coasted most of the way to Jedburgh, just made it to a 24 hour station on the edges of Edinburgh.

Wow! Bet that was a nerve wracking ride. I've been tempted to try a long distance coast coming down off the pennines off the M62, but at motorway speeds coasting isn't really viable-especially on a congested M62!

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - WellKnownSid

We live on top of what would have been a smoking volcano just a few hundred thousand years ago - at just over 1,800 feet AMSL.

If we climb about 100 feet it takes us to the top of the ridge, and the road which runs to the large town to the south, around 7 miles away and 1,750 feet below.

Driving it takes around 11 minutes, whilst "coasting it", something I've done several times takes about 13 minutes - there are some long flat pieces where speed can drop off. But it can be done in both manual and automatic.

The FIAT - a diesel - has plenty of engine braking, and so apart from the top part and the couple of hairpins the whole thing can be a brakes-off / 5th gear experience all the way.

The wife's Fabia is a 3 cylinder petrol - this needs a tad more braking on several of the bends otherwise it'll just run away.

The Merc, with its 4 speed auto, needs two firm brake dabs on the hairpins and the rest can be pretty-much controlled by shifting into 3 and 2 as required - who needs flappy paddles and 8 speeds? It's the only car that requires a bit of throttle on one of the long straights though, because speed bleeds off too quickly. These old slushboxes do sap quite a bit of power...

Interestingly, I did the journey in reverse today in the Fabia fully loaded. 29l/100km on the instantaneous readout with the foot to the floor... that's about 9.7mpg in old money... not bad for a 1.2...!

A slightly more interesting journey than the motorways of NW England.

interestingly, I did the journey in reverse today in the Fabia fully loaded. 29l/100km on the instantaneous readout with the foot to the floor... that's about 9.7mpg in old money... not bad for a 1.2...!

But hink of all that potential energy you've saved up that you can use coming back down.

So if you get ~100mpg coming down the hill, then your average of going up and down is (9.7+100)/2 ~ 55mpg. Not bad for a petrol! And probably better than driving on the flat.

Ah, hill climbs in spain. Where you find out if your cooling system is up to scratch.

Edited by unthrottled on 27/06/2011 at 23:09

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - WellKnownSid
Ah, hill climbs in spain. Where you find out if your cooling system is up to scratch.

The reason I rarely take the Merc up that way. Have done it before fully loaded, and in reality it's fine, but a 23 year old car even with new cooling system components is still a 23 year old design.

Unlike a modern car with regimental cooling that seems to keep everything at 90 degrees dead under everything but fault conditions, the three litre straight six produces a fair amount of heat that the radiator and fans just won't shift. It can hit the magic 100 degrees pulling out of the tallest hairpin in first and will invariably reach 105 by the top ("normal" is 87 degrees).

Still comfortably out of the red (120) - but sufficiently hot for my liking. Always pleased to reach the top and run down the other side at a steady 2,000 rpm (keeps the viscous fan at full power - rather than coasting at near idle which doesn't)

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - glowplug

I tried this after attaching a Scangage II to my A Class 170CDI. Driving carefully and coasting when possible I can easily get another 10mpg even at rush hour. The Scangage is good because you can set it to display multiple readings at the same time, however you must calibrate the speed and fuel top up amounts. I set mine to display instantaneous mpg, trip mpg, bhp and throttle position. As noted by others decending hills in gear the Scangage displays 9999mpg and 0bhp. However coasting gives around 273-276mpg and 3-5 bhp depending on what equipment is turned on. The actual mpg corresponds to the Scangauge readings even after months.

From a car park in Derbyshire to Abbeydale Road South in Sheffield, it's not all flat or down hill, I managed over 100mpg. Without the Scangage I reckon I'd have been somewhere around the 60-70mpg mark.

Now that I've perfected my technique I'm going for a Prius. We have so many hills here I reckon I can save some money on fuel and tax. For example - a steady trip to head office will give me 50mpg at rush hour mainly down hill but the amount of traffice leads to lots of stop starts which limits the mpg. Going home driving with the same care only gives 30mpg because it's all uphill. It'll be interesting to see what if any improvement an hybrid can give apart from being better in stop start traffic due to having a CVT gearbox.

Steve.

Scangauge? The hypermiler's friend!

I would test the Prius pretty thoroughly. On your commute I doubt it'll beat a good diesel.

The engine is fundamentally less efficient than a diesel-and CVT is less efficient at transmitting power than cogs. The prius excels in stop start driving-at speed, diesel leaves it in the dust in both efficiency and performance capability.

Well I guess I'm about to find out if that's true. I've never read a true head to head comparison, the Prius is usually stacked up against a supermini around town or a long legged motorway cruiser neither of which is automatic. My urban commute is short with a hill at one end (there's hills everywhere here). Performance I don't need, I've got to the stage of driving where I'd rather deprive the tax man (and local camera partnerships) than save time. As for diesels leaving it in the dust that's another good reason for giving up the A Class, diesels aren't the cleanest things on earth, I've driven and fixed them since '88. I won't be sorry not to have to handle the greasy stinky fuel pump and change the exceedingly dirty used oil. My 16 year old 2.1 SED Citroen XM will keep reminding me however I run that on veg and bio diesel. Anyone for burgers...

Let's hope I'm right, still if not there's plenty of technology to console me!

Steve.

Sorry-I got the impression that your commute was a long hilly drive with a little urban 'rubbish' at the offfice end. In an urban environment the Prius wins hands down.

No need to apologise. I'll post back if and when I have some figures.

Steve.

Oh-and don't forget to change your name to spark plug!

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - MrLightFoot

Just to point out, that your maths is slightly out there - mpg figures can't be averaged like that.

Let's say that the run is indeed 9.7 miles thus a gallon of fuel is used for the uphill. For the downhill, almost no fuel is used thus in total, 19.4 miles is driven on that gallon. Average consumption is therefore 19.4mpg assuming that we manage to get back using no fuel. That's the best case senario.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - P3t3r

Idling an engine will use fuel (a small amount of fuel). Rolling down a hill in gear with no gas will use no fuel (in a modern car) because the ECU cuts it off completely. Therefore coasting will often use more fuel.

There are also safety and legal issues with coasting. In most cases you'll also wear the brakes out quicker, and they will be hotter, which may make them less effective in an emergency.

If you have a modern car then it's a really bad idea to coast.

This has been dealt with above.

The idling/fuel shut off falls in favour of idling in neutral because you can roll much further in neutral than in gear.

Wearing brakes out more quickly? No, you only coast when you WANT to maintain momentum and air + rolling resistance gradually scrib off speed. In fact, with the trend towards driving more slowly, a lot of people are having trouble with brakes by NOT using them sufficiently.

You would need to do an awful lot of braking to experience brake fade-which is the antithesis of fuel saving. Cooked brakes are like engine balance-motoring hacks prattle on about it when it has very little relevance to real world driving. A gullible public soak up the half truths.

I know an elderly gent who used to drive coal lorries from a mine on a hilltop down to a town in the valley. In those days (1940's/1950's) HGV's were officially limited to 20mph and most would struggle to exceed 50mph on the level - he used to coast in neutral as it was faster than running in gear.

Not legal but meant more trips in a day.!

You don't want to try that trick with a 2 speed axle or a pneumatic splitter though.

I know an elderly gent who used to drive coal lorries from a mine on a hilltop down to a town in the valley. In those days (1940's/1950's) HGV's were officially limited to 20mph and most would struggle to exceed 50mph on the level - he used to coast in neutral as it was faster than running in gear.

Not legal but meant more trips in a day.!

This makes me laugh, today i took a friend out to help her pick out a cheap car (we were successful by the way) and when i got to her house her younger sister was using one of those Theory test things on the PC, the driving test success thing with mock tests etc, all very good and everything. I was challenged to doing the test (got 50 out of 50 on the questions and 56 points out of possible 75 on the hazard perception, despite the fact you didnt have to do that test when i took mine, by the way) and one of the questions in it, actually two of them were revolved around coasting, about why you DEFINATLEY SHOULD NOT EVER DO THIS!!!

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - SteveLee

UT:"I knew that would crop up-and it's wrong. Blame Jeremy Clarkson for promulgating that myth."

Not a myth - of course it all depends on the purpose of your coasting. If you are coasting towards a red light then you are better off doing it in gear with no fuel being used at all, as a bonus the unfuelled engine will save wear and tear on your brakes. If you're coasting down a hill but need to get back up the other side, the engine braking will rob you of kinetic energy, so you'd be better off in neutral, burning a bit of fuel idling the engine, but at the same time maintaining or increasing momentum. Depending on the situation both ways are the right way.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - thunderbird

Not a myth - of course it all depends on the purpose of your coasting. If you are coasting towards a red light then you are better off doing it in gear with no fuel being used at all, as a bonus the unfuelled engine will save wear and tear on your brakes. If you're coasting down a hill but need to get back up the other side, the engine braking will rob you of kinetic energy, so you'd be better off in neutral, burning a bit of fuel idling the engine, but at the same time maintaining or increasing momentum. Depending on the situation both ways are the right way.

When will people finally realise that coasting (or whatever else you want to call it) has no place on the public highway. OK, you may save a thimble full of fuel every full moon but in the meantime you have not been in full control of the car.

If you are so certain its a good idea book in for your driving test and drive like that, you would soon fail.

I've done it for well over 30 years - never been close to having an accident because of it. Good drivers can anticipate situations. Modern drivers are told to use the brake to slow down, being in the "right" gear is given little consideration, what's safer - being in the right gear using engine braking or needlessly lighting up your brake lights every 10 seconds as so many modern drivers do?

When drivers are told how to drive the target audience is the lowest-common denominator.

Coasting is fine if you understand why you're doing it and what the road conditions around you are - more so with modern cars with anti-lock brakes, where as in the past I wouldn't coast in the wet to reduce the chance of locking the driven wheels during heavy braking.

I've done it for well over 30 years - never been close to having an accident because of it. Good drivers can anticipate situations. Modern drivers are told to use the brake to slow down, being in the "right" gear is given little consideration, what's safer - being in the right gear using engine braking or needlessly lighting up your brake lights every 10 seconds as so many modern drivers do?

I've only been driving for about 4 years; my instructor recommended that I use engine braking and apply the gears correctly rather than rely on the brakes. I often find that (having asked why) it's drivers of automatics who obsessively brake in order to feel in control. Some don't even realise they're doing it.

I've only been driving for about 4 years; my instructor recommended that I use engine braking and apply the gears correctly rather than rely on the brakes. I often find that (having asked why) it's drivers of automatics who obsessively brake in order to feel in control. Some don't even realise they're doing it.

There's a subtle difference, the highway code tell you to get the car into the highest gear as quickly as possible without labouring the engine, your instructer would have told you assess the road ahead and to ease off the throttle in good time rather than brake unnecesserily (all good advice) he would (should) not have told you to engine brake because this is not what the Highway Code states, in poor conditions it's possible to lock a wheel and lose control of the car through botched engine braking (which is why it's no longer taught). The correct gear to maintain the most control (via engine braking) is not the highest gear possible.

I almost exclusively drive automatics - I do not need to constantly "comfort brake" as I read the road ahead.

Since you're determined to rerun the discussion, let's go.

What do you mean "not in full control of the car?"

Do you mean lack of engine braking or lack of available acceleration?

If your answer to either is "yes", then this precludes the use of high gears since acceleration and engine braking are feeble in tall gears.

Does the highway code tell you to drive around in low gears all day in case you might want to accelerate? No, it does not. It advises you to change up as early as possible.

What about proper automatics? Take your foot off the gas and the revs drop to little above idle. Add in torque converter slip and there's very little engine braking. Does the Highway Code advise against driving an automatic on safety grounds? No, it does not.

The "musn't coast" is a nice simple rule that is easily remembered by even the most intellectually feeble of drivers. The main risk of coasting is that a witless driver will forget that they are out of gear and when they attempt to accelerate, and become flustered when the engine screams and the car doesn't pull forward. But this a problem with the driver, not the technique.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - memyself-aye

Coasting works every time, I've been doing it for years (before servo brakes came along, with the engine off completely- restarting it using the clutch) the car travels much further in neutral than in a gear and if you're approaching a junction that you have to stop at anyway so you might as well use the car's weight and momentum for free.

On Madeira you can coast for over 3km - but only downhill :)

Coasting works every time, I've been doing it for years (before servo brakes came along, with the engine off completely- restarting it using the clutch) the car travels much further in neutral than in a gear and if you're approaching a junction that you have to stop at anyway so you might as well use the car's weight and momentum for free.

For feks sake stay on Madeira.

What you are doing is totally stupid and dangerous.

For starters the fuel you save will be less than brake wear.

For feks sake stay on Madeira.

What you are doing is totally stupid and dangerous.

For starters the fuel you save will be less than brake wear.

Strange that old Rovers and Saabs with a freewheel built into the transmisson still pass MOTs if coasting is so dangerous (they didn't have servo brakes so irrelevant whether engine was running or not.)

Link to Honest John answer about coasting. Suppose he does not have a clue.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/34186/fuel-economy-when-coasting

Unfortunately his answer isn't right. While an engine uses no fuel whilst in overrun, it is being kept spinning by the loss of vehicle momentum thus requiring morem frequent accelerations leading to a net increase in consumption.

I don't know why this issue exercises you so much. If you don't like it, don't do it.

Unfortunately his answer isn't right. While an engine uses no fuel whilst in overrun, it is being kept spinning by the loss of vehicle momentum thus requiring morem frequent accelerations leading to a net increase in consumption.

I don't know why this issue exercises you so much. If you don't like it, don't do it.

So only myself and Honest John think that coasting does not save fuel, OK by me, never felt safe in crowds.

I don't like it and I don't do it but it does worry me that many people on here think its OK when it is possibly illegal and definitely bad practice.

So only myself and Honest John think that coasting does not save fuel, OK by me, never felt safe in crowds

Your instantaneous fuel consumption figure is totally irrelevant.

1.) Overrun comes at the expense of lost momentum.

2.) Lost momentum is deferred fuel consumption.

It's a simple fact that it takes more horsepower to spin the engine at a higher RPM than it does at a lower RPM. There is no discussion to be had.

Generally speaking, you will get the best fuel economy by covering your journey with the fewest total number of engine revolutions.

This is why car makers use tall gears.

This is why bicycles come with freewheels, with the the exception of bumptious nerds who push 'fixies' round waitrose. :)

The exception is when you have to lose momentum anyway-say because you are approaching a junction. In this case, engine braking is preferable because the engine braking warms the oil.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - madf

s the fuel you save will be less than brake wear.

Strange that old Rovers and Saabs with a freewheel built into the transmisson still pass MOTs if coasting is so dangerous (they didn't have servo brakes so irrelevant whether engine was running or not.)

I owned and drove two old Rovers with freewheels.: a 1946 16 and a 1953 75.

Only a complete numpty would use Freewheel going downhill in the 16 as the rod drum brakes faded badly on long descents and produced clouds of very hot smoke. (which smelt horrible). And of course, teh car would not stop... which produced a few intersting moments. Even under engine braking with the freewheel disengaged, the brakes would overheat.

The Rover 75 had better hydraulic drum brakes but again only a numpty etc...

Of course they pass an MOT as the MOT only tests brake efficiency.. and not freewheels etc..so the above comment about MOTs is a total irrelevance. Just eneter it for the MOT with the Freewheel in OFF position.

I never had any MOT problems with brakes.. (the 16 steering was another story)

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - Ed V

"Coasting means you're not in full control of the vehicle." Er, HELLO Mr 1950s man!

I'd like to try it on the near 5 mile descent from the Hindhead tunnel going north. I have a 3-figure fuel consumption thingy, so should spend several minutes at 999 mpg.

Cruise control of course maximises consumption by keeping speed uo going uphill and down going downhill. Doh! Us humans ought to be able to adjust speed slightly up and down hill to get the best figures.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - skidpan

Would anyone on here who is so pro "coasting" be prepared to suggest to a family member that they should practice "coasting" during their driving test?

Would anyone on here who is so pro "coasting" be prepared to standup in court after being charged by the police for dangerous driving after an RTA and argue that "coasting had nothing to do with the accident and was perfectly safe?

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - Happy Blue!

Ignoring the economy argument (and the difference is probably minimal), coasting out of gear means you are out of control.

Hence on roads with steep downhill sections is says "Keep in a Low Gear" and does not say " Feel Free to Coast". Out of gear there is no engine braking and no ability to immediately accelerate if necessary. Engine braking is far preferrable to using the brakes as there is no waste of brake pad linings which are more expensive than fuel.

Ignoring the economy argument (and the difference is probably minimal), coasting out of gear means you are out of control.

If it is so minimal, why do you think engine designers use such steep gearing? At 20mph it takes more horsepower to turn the engine than it does to move the car down the road.

Define 'out of control'. What is the difference between being in top gear at 1000 RPM and in neutral at 900? Nothing, other than the fact that you have selected a gate and, psycologically, you feel 'in control'. There's b***** all engine braking and available acceleration.

Hence on roads with steep downhill sections is says "Keep in a Low Gear"

That's aimed at 44 tonne trucks that do have problems with overheating brakes. Your car does not.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - TeeCee

To add weight to your argument here, as the Prius got a mention earlier in the conversation, that has effectively got freewheel built in too.

It's a "CVT" in that it has an effectively infinite set of ratios, but not a CVT in the conventional sense, as the gearing is direct (so no losses). Matching of engine speed to wheels is done by varying the load on the sun gear of its epicylic transmission, altering the ratio of planet carrier (engine) to annulus (final drive). Electric drive is direct to the annulus as 'leccy motors are rather less worried about revolutions.

However, there's another effect downhill or while decelerating gently. If you get the throttle in the right place, there's no load. The engine stops as no power is required. No drive is required, so no power is fed to the electric drive motor. No deceleration is being asked for so there is no load applied by the annulus motor/generator and as the engine is stopped there's nothing being scavenged by the sun gear motor/generator.

The transmission is turning idly and......you are freewheeling. Nothing is acting on the vehicle bar gravity and wind resistance / other frictional losses. Yup, that Toyota HSG system effectively has a freewheel system that you cannot turn off.

Funnily enough, it doesn't suddenly become dangerous when it does it. As I cannot see why a competant driver who knows what he or she is doing should be any more dangerous in this situation than a computer made by Toyota, I am forced to the inescapable conclusion that the naysaying on "safety" grounds is unfounded.

Engine braking is far preferrable to using the brakes as there is no waste of brake pad linings which are more expensive than fuel.

If you don't use the brakes sufficiently, the corrosion will eat them and the pads faster than you would if you used them hard. When you hear of brake discs on the back axle needing replacement after 30,000 miles you don't think it is excessive use that wears them out, do you?!

Charged with dangerous driving due to being in neutral?

Grow up. No one has ever been charged with dangerous driving for being in neutral.

If engine braking is so important then automatic transmission users should end up in court charged with dangerous driving. They don't.

Motorcyclists often clutch-in as they brake. Should they end up in court too?

What rot!

Motorcyclists often clutch-in as they brake. Should they end up in court too?

You're supposed to - I have only had a few bike lessons (had to give it up as I ran out of money....) and it was a recommended thing to do because of the sequential gears. You can't say they're doing anything dangerous; it'd be more dangerous to get stuck in the wrong gear and be unable to move off properly....

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - Mike H
If engine braking is so important then automatic transmission users should end up in court charged with dangerous driving. They don't.

Welcome to reality. Some autos provide engine braking when travelling downhill, at least my nine-year old Saab does. Presumably it's not unique? Or has auto transmission technology regressed in the intervening years?

The typical engine braking from a traditional torque convertor automatic in high gear is pretty feeble. Fpr a start they tend to be geared higher than manuals. Plus, they often unlock the torque convertor at low engine speeds.

Are you not in control of your bicycle if you don't keep continuosly pedal?!

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - memyself-aye

Engine braking?

What out of date thinking that is. Using the engine to brake the car to save 'wear' on the brake pads dates from the time brakes were so unreliable that they couldn't be trusted to work on downhill streches (whether on Madeira or not). As for the argument that the brakes cost more than the fuel does, so does the clutch, pistons, crank, valve etc al of which work harder when forced to slow the car instead of speed it up.

Do you also blip the throttle before switching off to put fuel into the chambers - a common practice 40 years ago!

Nice to see this debate resurrected, although a recent contributor or two clearly does not have the requisite basic knowledge of physics....see my post far above!

Well said 'unthrottled', you are absolutely correct in all your responses. There are also good responses to the twaddle about 'not being in full control of the car'. This might possibly apply on long mountain descents where one can switch the engine off completely, making sure you don't engage the steering lock. You need to know your car as to when the vacuum brake servo runs out necessitating much extra pressure on the brake pedal.

No doubt this admission will result in disapproving replies!

If modern braking systems can't stop a car with the engine drive disenagaged when coasting, the entire MOT system for brake testing is wrong.

The "don't coast in neutral" story was going when I was born and cars had rod or cable (eek!) brakes and servos and vented disk brakes were unknown - so over half a century ago. Technology has changed a lot...hand signals anyone?.

Of course there are drivers who - if they were coasting in neutral - would forget and rev and rev with no results - or blow up their engine . For comparison there are drivers who drive and don't look at the road but text and adjust their stereoes at teh same time so the lady in a bungalow 50 metres away can hear what they are playing behind her double glazing......

Far more important driving issues to worry about..

The "don't coast in neutral" story was going when I was born and cars had rod or cable (eek!) brakes and servos and vented disk brakes were unknown - so over half a century ago

There was also no or iffy synchromesh, so it was more difficult to get back into gear and then double declutch your way down the ratios for max engine braking [younger readers will have no idea about doing this....memories of brake failure from a pre-MoT rusted brake pipe on a downhill stretch in the Yorkshire dales!

There was also no or iffy synchromesh, so it was more difficult to get back into gear and then double declutch your way down the ratios for max engine braking [younger readers will have no idea about doing this....memories of brake failure from a pre-MoT rusted brake pipe on a downhill stretch in the Yorkshire dales!

ah the joys of double declutching!

At least on Rovers with Freewheel , you did not neeed the clutch to change gear.. just foot off accelerator.. but as you had noo engine braking no use on downgrades..

I understand what they're on about, these nutters in the government Department of Transport, or whatever.

The Law is an Ass. The Highway Code is wrong.

By 'loss of control' they are referring to the loss of control you would experience by turning the ignition key off, and the steering lock coming on. Then you do, truly, lose control. Don't ever try this in the interests of curiosity, as the steering lock will grab more, the more you try to steer the car.

Anyway, the official guidance is wrong, outdated, and just plain daft. Sack them all.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - Collos25

What tablets are you on.

I'm not on any tablets! But it does me a world of good to observe that my prose works as a medicine. Not sure for which parts though.

All - Coasting-how far can you go? - Sofa Spud

Although I'm not in the habit of coasting myself, apart from rolling slowly in downhill traffic queues, I can't see it's particularly dangerous in modern cars as long as you keep an eye on the speed. After all, automatic cars more or less coast on the over-run, providing very little engine braking.

But turning off the engine while coasting is a no-no. Like someone said, it could activate the steering lock depending on how far you turn the key - but also the power assistance the steering will stop and the assistance to the brakes will disappear after a couple of applications.