Cameras - Bobbin Threadbare

There's a decent demographic of folks on here so I thought I would seek opinions:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent camera?

I had a crap Vivitar, but my phone outdoes that, but the phone is very basic. I'm not after anything fancy (no SLRs) as most of my pics will be of Mr Bobbin when he is sunburned and probably some archaeology. Budget is £100 and I'd rather it took AAAs than having a Li-ion (last one had that but if you don't use them they die).

Cameras - jamie745

Ive got a Sony DSC-H3 which i still think is lovely, its been replaced now with a newer model i think now mind, but might still be some knocking about. It does take a funny battery but tends to last quite a while.

In my experience, which is limited with camera's admittedly, Sony, Nikon and Canon are good, Fuji is s***.

That Sony one you have is a bit big. We have got a DSC P32 but that is about 10 years old (still going) and made like a brick. It doesn't fit in my pockets.

Canon are my favourite so far.

Cameras - jamie745

That Sony cost me a b***** fortune and i have no intention of changing to something more "compact" until it stops working LOL

I can imagine - they're still around £200 ish.

My phone would probably do; see not bad for a mobile: www.flickr.com/photos/64127830@N03/5862551219/in/p...m

But no zoom, and it sucks the battery dry.

Cameras - jamie745

Thats not bad for a phone. Better than my Blackberry i must say. What phone is it?

It's a Samsung Galaxy S. It doesn't fit in my pockets either!

Cameras - jamie745

Sounds like you have tight pockets, i could make a dirty joke there but i shall resist the temptation.

By referring to the possibility of the joke, you already made it. You're off the xmas card list for the cheeky comments in the thread about emergency vehicles too.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 23/06/2011 at 14:25

Cameras - jamie745

In fairness that was a tremendous momentus speech made under the influence of many non-approved painkillers.

But i like christmas cards. I was looking forward to it. Dont ruin this for me.

Cameras - unthrottled

You mean Booze? If you can't handle the stuff, don't touch it.

I think some scoundrel on the other site has cloned your user HJ username Bobbin...

Cameras - jamie745

I knew Avant was a cross dresser.

I knew Avant was a cross dresser.

After I finish laughing....

I joined 'the other site' to see what the fuss was about. It's v. similar but more chatty.

Cameras - jamie745

Sounds right up your alley, lord knows its a struggle to shut you up.

The point of a froum is to join in duhhhh. I don't do giant long winded rants like you, twinkle.

Cameras - jamie745

Long winded rants are my thing. Im ok with it. I really am. And you know you love it.

Cameras - bonzo dog

Image quality wise, Canon is tops as the lens is probably the most important part of the camera & Canon make the best.

For longevity & reliability I would go for Sony as the electrical parts are the ones that seem to cause the most problems in digi-cams & Sony is the manufacturer whose componants are used by many other camera companies

Checkout http://www.dpreview.com/products for a pretty comprehensive guide to most cameras on the market

For £100 I would go for Canon PowerShot A2200

Good luck

Thanks Bonzo

What do you reckon to the Canon Ixus 130? Currys are selling them off. It's a good size and it's got quite good zoom.

Cameras - madf

"

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent camera?""

I always keep up to date with 5 year old technology by selling my existing camera and buying a second hand one form ebay.. Usually little used at 15% of the new price.

Current a Panaonic DMC-LZ2. 6 x optical zoom and about 6 million pixels.

Yes I know it is out of date but it was only £20 and it came with a case and memory card..

I read all the reviews and it was OK.. At that price, it's well worth having.

Why spend £100s when the camera is out of date in 12 months and virtually worthless in 4..?

My way, I always have a new to me phone with better technology every 3-4 years at minimal cost.. (I know it' anathema to hardened consumerists but)

Edited by madf on 25/06/2011 at 14:33

£20 is great! I'm not hugely bothered if it's got all sort of fancy attributes but I do want the warranty I'll get by buying a new one. Mr Bobbin has a 9 year old Sony which is still going strong, but it is a brick. Modern cameras are small and light, which is something I find important.

I will look on eBay as well as shops though.

I'm also not worried about it going 'out of date'. Hopefully it will last me a good many years.

Cameras - Avant

I'd agree with Madf - you can't go wrong with a Panasonic. There are plenty around to fit any budget.

Sorry if I make Jamie's dresser cross: you'd think he was a big boy now and could dress himself (or would you.....?) :)

Cameras - jamie745

Now thats some weak comedy dude.

Cameras - Armitage Shanks {p}

I have always found it useful to have a camera with a viewfinder and, although it makes them bulky, I prefer one which takes AA batteries which one can buy cheaply and almost anywhere in the World!

I prefer one which takes AA batteries which one can buy cheaply and almost anywhere in the World!

Yes - and if you don't use a Li-ion rechargeable often (i.e., charging it up after use) it will stop holding charge so you have to replace it anyway!

Cameras - madf

Which has regular camera reviews: worth reading..

Their 2009 barnd reliability ratings were:

Ricoh 86% (lots broken on ebay)

Sony 97%

Canon 97%

Panasonic 99%

Casio 98%..

Says it all: avoid Ricoh.

Ricoh? Thought they made photocopiers!!

Cameras - unthrottled

It's the NIMH batteries that like deep discharges, isn't it? This got me rather confused. When I got a laptop I kept trying to deep cycle the battery which was irritating. Then I found out that it didn't do the battery any good at all. Now I'm thinking of my old camera sitting there with a deeply discharged battery. damn.

Just as a little follow up - thanks for the suggestions. I have just bought a little red Nikon Coolpix S2550 for my holidays next week! Looks good; 12MPix, 4x optical zoom, wide-angle lens (well, as wide-angle as you can get on a small digital camera!). The only thing is, they just don't provide SD cards anymore (I noticed how Sony have given up on their weird long stick ones and gone to SD).