Buying first car tips insurance etc - T28

Hi,

I am looking to buy my first car as my wife is now expecting, I over 30, I have had my licence for about 3 years but have never had a car or been insured for one, what car would be best in terms of cost both for the car & insurance & obviously reasonably reliable.

Any help most appreciated.

Buying first car tips insurance etc - unthrottled

How long is a piece of string? We need budget, annual mileage, size of car in order to help. Insurance won't be too bad since you're over 25 and have had a driving licence for 3 years. You should be looking at about £600-700 on a mid size hatchback.

Buying first car tips insurance etc - T28

Thanks for the reply, arround 4k, just for social, small-medium(example-honda Civic).

Well that's actually quite a good starting point-if you can live with the terrible rear visibility. Heck even the Honda Jazz is a really well made car-if you can get round the old man image.

There's the usual fare of Golf/Astra/Focus and they are all decent but in slightly different ways. Go to a second-hand dealer and sit in a few-one of them will just feel right. The rear visibility issue can be a real problem with some cars-and if it's your first car, it's a hassle you don't need.

If you're doing less than ~12000 miles p.a. stick with petrol. They are cheaper to buy and are less likely to cause expensive problems. All the manufacturers have reasonable petrol engines in the 1.6 range-which is what you want for a midsize first car.

As is oft said, condition is more important than marque. At £4k, You'll obviously want a full MOT-don't accept anything with a short one! If the cam belt hasn't been changed, factor in about £400 for it to be done at some point. Ditto tyres. If they're worn, good new ones might be ~£100/wheel.

All obvious stuff I'm afraid, but easily forgotten in the urge to get the 'right' car.

Buying first car tips insurance etc - Bobbin Threadbare

T - have a look at Parkers 'choose me a car' tool; you can select an option to include vehicles with isofix child seat points and so on. Autotrader is your friend. Also look at local dealers; I got my last car for around the £4k mark from a guy who didn't have a show rooms, he does everything off his website and you make an appointment to look. He didn't overcharge me as he has smaller overheads than a big flashy showroom.

I started off with a 1.6 Focus as my first car. Roomy, comfy and cheap to run.

A 1.6 Focus? My dad has complained bitterly about it being painfully slow. I think it's about on the mark for a midsize1.6. How did you find it?

Buying first car tips insurance etc - Bobbin Threadbare

Well Mr Bobbin passed his test at 17 so he didn't want a piddly little car as he was used to driving. I was still learning when we got it, so it had to be some happy medium for a learner (not too powerful) and with a bit of go. It held its own on the motorway, you just get that loss of momentum on hills if someone cuts in front at speed (I don't mean slamming on in a panic). Awesome handling too; I used to throw it round the country lanes in Warrington. I had also never driven in snow till Jan 2010, and it handled that well too luckily; I was petrified!

We found it at Evans Halshaw in Blackburn on their stocklist, looked up the Parkers reviews of it, and went to look at it. We took Mr Bobbin's dad along to provide an experienced eye. It was a lovely burgundy 52-plate, ex-Motability, so looked after really well. We put about 65k on its odo and I'm afraid I gashed the door panel of it :-((

Oh there's a point - if you look for ex-Motability cars they have been well maintained and usually have low mileage.

Buying first car tips insurance etc - jakey17

Look at 55/56 Plates :-

Renault Megane

Peugot 307

Citroen C4

Ford Focus

Vauxhall Astra

They all are relatively affordable, the French cars have a lot of gadgets and "tech" which is a Positive as much as a Negative - Handy when working but tend to cause more trouble than need be. The Ford Focus and Vauxhall Astra have renowned reliablility and cheap repair costs. They all have great safety rating's and all come in 1.4/1.6 litre engines - insurance won't be such a low blow. Hope I helped - Sorry if there is any spelling mistakes lol - it's late