2.5 Turbo - Subaru Forester - FrancePaul

Have a 2.5 Forester with Sat Nav. This is a european version run through a Kenwood 0910 dvd player. I want to update the info but Subaru want a lot of money for this, at around £400. Does anybody know where I could obtain a 2011/12 dvd covering Europe, or for just France which is what I am really interested in. Many thanks in advance.

Anybody got any ideas please.

2.5 Turbo - Subaru Forester - SteveLee

Surely ebay is your best hope for hooky software?

2.5 Turbo - Subaru Forester - TeeCee

Erm, search The Pirate Bay and other torrent sites for an iso download? Worked for me.

SatNav makers who charge stupid prices for map updates deserve everything they get by way of being ripped off....

2.5 Turbo - Subaru Forester - Bobbin Threadbare

TeeCee beat me to it. BitTorrent it. You can also legitimately buy SD cards and DVDs from other companies (such as Garmin) for about £40-60. Kenwood make them too. I bet you'll find a bunch on eBay too. It depends how out of date you think your maps are - if you've got a new-ish car then will the roads have changed that much...?

Thanks for your replies. My dvd version is 2005 so yes a lot of the roads have changed since then. Will look on "that" pirate site or maybe contact Kenwood direct.

Have tried Kenwood but they advised me to go to Subaru direct . No chance with their silly prices. Cannot find anything of interest on Ebay. Why would spmebody try and sell a 2005 dvd? Can anybody guide me to a company that I could buy a dvd from? Many thanks

2.5 Turbo - Subaru Forester - RT

I'm surprised there's any demand for cars with built-in satnav - the cost/problems of keeping the maps up-to-date is well known.

I can buy a cheap aftermarket satnav with an up-to-date map every year for less money than the built-ins cost in the first place never mind annual update cost.

I've got to say, I use a very reliable system. It's called an OS map ;-)

2.5 Turbo - Subaru Forester - unthrottled

You'd need a boot full of 'em to cover all of Britain though!

2.5 Turbo - Subaru Forester - TeeCee

More than a boot full I reckon.

Britain's a fairly big place and you'll need a lot of maps to cover the whole thing.......even if you unfold them first ;-)

I was only joking about the paper map! I use google maps on my phone; plug into the cig lighter with a usb converter, if I need a map.

I do use the ubiquitous Tom Tom-but I feel as if my masculinity is somewhat diminished every time I plug it in. Almost as bad as having the letter 'D' emblazened on the switch where the gear lever should be!

Every so often I try to restore lost virility by doing it properly ie with a map book resting on the steering wheel.

I don't have that problem and I also will <intake of breath> ask someone for directions, but I have heard that whittling or sharpening pencils with a knife, poking a fire with a stick and carrying in an entire bootful of shopping in one go can also help to increase 'lost virility'.

Any chance of getting back to the original subject? I need some helo in obtaining a new dvd. Thanks.

2.5 Turbo - Subaru Forester - Xantiaman

No help I'm afraid, had the same car (which I miss sorely,) with the same problem and never resolved it. Mine was an 03 with a version 1 disc.

I came to the conclusion that it would be so much cheaper to buy a Tom Tom or similar. Ebay or perhaps a breaker yard might be worth a punt but I think it will be a long shot.

Edited by Xantiaman on 17/06/2011 at 14:44

Ask for directions?!?! Not with 6ft 3" Mr Bobbin in the car I trust?

A fire that requires poking is amateurishly built and therefore not masculine at all. ;)

I gave up sharpening a pencil with a knife because either the lead is sharpened into a long lightning conductor rod that immediately snaps upon contact with paper or the tip ends up with a straight edge that gives a caligraphy style to one's drawings which is inappropriate for back of a back of a fag packet style sketches.

This isn't helping OP at all!

No, but it is making me laugh. Sorry FrancePaul!

Ey if I'm driving, Mr Bobbin has to keep his gob shut ;-) If I said it was a woman's prerogative to back-seat drive, it'd start an argument, so I won't.

2.5 Turbo - Subaru Forester - daveyjp

If it's like the system on my previous Jag any dodgy upgrade DVDs can wreck the system - be careful.

I miss my in car system as it's always there. My trips are local, so I know where I'm going and I tend to use the same routes so don't take sat nav with me - it's a faff to set up and you have to remove it everytime.

Having in built is great when you reach a probelm as you can quickly find an alternative route.

2.5 Turbo - Subaru Forester - Ethan Edwards

This any good?

http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/shop-online.aspx/navigation-software

Hi Ethan

Unfortunately not but thanks anyway.