State of 2nd hand car-market in current financial - Surrey_Scientist

Is there anyone who cancomment on what the state of play in the 2nd-hand car market is given the current fnancial situation we are in ?

I have been to look at several cars and found dealers unwlling to budge from sticker price....

does thismean times are hard and they can't afford to drop the price, or market is kealthy and there will be buyers at the screen price so they don't have to drop it ?

are there any differences in the sales of different types of car..?

I am wondering if people are buing more 2nd-hand rather than new as can't afford new - even if you are hard up I suppose if your car gets toa point of uneconmic repair you still have to trade-up.... so there will never e no market...

State of 2nd hand car-market in current financial - Armstrong Sid

I have been to look at several cars and found dealers unwlling to budge from sticker price....

This point often comes up, and it intrigues me.

If you go to buy a loaf of bread you accept the asking price without a haggle; if you buy a new TV or washing machine you probably pay the asking price.

Why is the price of a car treated as a challenge?

State of 2nd hand car-market in current financial - Collos25
Car registrations in the UK are 7% down compared to last year,if it was a second hand loaf or TV I would haggle about the price and any new goods I would do the same - a loaf of bread might be an exception.
State of 2nd hand car-market in current financial - bonzo dog

does thismean times are hard and they can't afford to drop the price, or market is kealthy and there will be buyers at the screen price so they don't have to drop it ?

Although retail customers are not in abundance, there is still a low number of clean low mileage desirable used cars on the market

Plus dealers are paying very good money in the trade for these cars; of course the ever increasing numbers of private customers prepared to buy "as seen" at auctions helps keep these trade prices high.

Plus the high trade prices means less genuine margins for the dealers

So if they sell a car for no or next to no profit they cannot replace it. Hence dealers are holding out for as near the asking price as possible

State of 2nd hand car-market in current financial - Roly93

There may be a lack of decent second hand cars around due to the lack of registrations lately, but in the last couple of weeks I've had the hardest job imaginable to sell my car. I was selling a very very tidy diesel A4 Avant, (a car that is normally very sought after) and struggled to get anyone even willing to come and look at it. I got the usual succession of time wasters, but only sold it after over three weeks of multi-point advertising.

And furthermore I didn't get any belated calls either.

Four years ago, I sold an A4 B6 diesel Avant with about 50K miles on it in about 18 hours, and got plenty of post-sale calls also.

On the plus side I did get a very good deal on a nearly new Audi.

I'm afraid its quite simple - the market is very poorly I'm afraid, due to redundancies, public sector culling and general financial stagflation in the Uk at present.

State of 2nd hand car-market in current financial - unthrottled

I think the second hand car market is pretty buoyant-and prices are higher than they were a couple of years ago. A lot of muppets that would normally turn their noses up at a second hand car are now being forced to consider buying second hanbd/keeping their oriiginal car. Either option either increases demand or stifles supply. If you think what you're actually getting for your money, second hand cars are bargains.

If you can't sell a car, you're asking too much. Simples.

Too many people have been conditioned to expect 'discounts'. Most of these discounts are bogus. It is the absolute bottom price that matters. Nothing else.

If you can't sell a car, you're asking too much. Simples.

I have to say this is a bit of a sweeping statement. I'll admit for the first week I was probably a bit over what I should have been, but still in the same ball park as all of the other similar cars/mileages. Even when I dropped the price right down after doing extensive research and consulting glasses guide, I was still experiencing a phone-call desert.

I'm sorry , that I have to disagree that the market is 'bouyant' at least 2 traders told me that they were getting very little footfall indeed on their forecourts, in fact one even said that people were not buying unless they absolutely have to. And this is in a part of the country that isn't particularly recession ravaged.

You can sell anything if its cheap enough, but if you sell a Porsche for 50p it doesnt mean the market is bouyant !

Edited by Roly93 on 13/06/2011 at 15:40

State of 2nd hand car-market in current financial - unthrottled

Obviously some brands are going to fare recessions better than others. Audi will fare poorly since it is perceived as being an expensive way of owning a Skoda.

I bet you could sell an 06 Octavia Estate more easily than an 06 Audi A4 Avant! VAG have really let Skoda cannabilise VW/Audi sales. Since Skoda are no longer cheap, it is a shrewd move on their part.

The cars I've been lookiing at are holding their prices very well-and are shifting.

State of 2nd hand car-market in current financial - Paul G1pdc

the comments about only haggling over cars made me grin...sorry.

but what about houses....

also my last telly I paid in cash and asked and got a discount.

and my last push bike, again paid cash and got £50 of extras thrown into the deal.

even 2 weeks ago, my wife wanted over 400 photos developed at Jessops in 5x7 size. they showed me there best price break of 15p per print, as per there adverts on the wall. and 10mins later it came down to 9p just from asking and being cheaky.....

sorry its the way i was bought up....

when i moved out of home, and bought loads of white goods washing maching etc the kettle, toaster etc all free.......

it costs nothing to ask, and as long as you ask nicely and grin... they can only say no....

always ask and get a discount on the cars. often sell mine private and hence can do the deal there and then....400+ off on a 6000 car is often what i walk away with and the usual mudflaps, mats etc included...

paul. but yep, don't haggle at tesco...

State of 2nd hand car-market in current financial - Bobbin Threadbare
it costs nothing to ask, and as long as you ask nicely and grin... they can only say no....

I'm with you there Paul...I bought my Mazda last year, first car I ever bought on my own, and I got £400 off the fella's list price and he ended up giving me £300 more than he wanted to for my part ex car. Alas I had to tax it immediately and he hadn't left any petrol in it but hey!

I'm wondering if people are keeping their cars a little bit longer - Autotrader seems to have fewer vehicles on it, unless it's just in my area. They've put a section up on 'cheap cars' and Honest John has all his 'low tax and insurance' top tens. The big dealerships round here don't have any decent deals on either.

Having said that, I've seen a lot of brand new cars so people must be part-exing their existing vehicles.

Some things just aren't moving though...there's a Proton garage not far from where I live and it looks dead.

State of 2nd hand car-market in current financial - Bedhead

When dealers come in to me looking parts, they're the first to come out with "I want a trade discount" so why should I be any different if I was buying off them?

At the minute, the one I see cannot get rid of bigger cars like A4/6 and Mondeos, the smaller stuff is doing well though, I was looking for a S/H small car a few weeks ago and anything private was sold within a couple of hours of the advert going up.

Saying that, dealers are still charging top dollar for a car that they picked up in an auction a few days before, I've seen one buy an ST24 Mondeo for £400 and it's on the forecourt the next day for £1200, needless to say it's still there. Same bloke has a load of A4's that are well overpriced, I sold mine at a realistic price inside an hour.

Obviously some brands are going to fare recessions better than others. Audi will fare poorly since it is perceived as being an expensive way of owning a Skoda.

I hate to say it but you have a point here, as people are in cost-saving mode rather than 'lets treat myself' mode.

State of 2nd hand car-market in current financial - jamie745

Maybe if they hadnt scrapped 200,000 perfectly usable servicable vehicles the market would be better for customers.