"Milage correction" services - Pondlife

I noticed a laminated sign on a lampost advertising "milage correction" as well as the usual chipping services. It looked like a blatant advertisement for a "wind the clock back" service.

Now that odometer readings are stored digitally, I hope it would be more difficult to turn the back than with the old mechanical clocks. But seeing a service like this makes me wonder if it's actually easier, like getting a mobile phone unlocked down the market.

Does anyone know how easy this is on modern systems, and whether this means that claimed milages should be taken with a pinch of salt?

"Milage correction" services - Bobbin Threadbare

I've seen these adverts. They make it sound very simple, but unfortunately adjusting the mileage on a car isn't illegal UNLESS you don't declare it when you sell it on. There can be legitimate reasons to do it but it all seems a bit dodgy to me.

"Milage correction" services - Ben 10

Yes as you imagine, it's a lot easier. All you need is a laptop and a guidance book for all car makes and away you go. Can be done within an hour from start to finish.

"Milage correction" services - unthrottled

How does 'correct' the previous years' MOT certicates?

tbh, digital or not, you can just unplug the speedometer cable and then use the tach as a speedo! Shouldn't be any recorded miles then. Might be of use if you're planning to sell a car and you're just below the pscologically important 100,000 (ooh!) miles mark...

"Milage correction" services - Collos25
Peolple who have lease cars do this to stay within the required mileage they are not three years old so no mot its a big business some cars actually record the mileage on the ecu as well .Here in germany it is estimated that 60% of all mileage or KM indicators on cars have been rewound.
"Milage correction" services - Pondlife

How does 'correct' the previous years' MOT certicates?

My main worry is people who by new or nearly new, do huge miles, adjust the mileage before the first MOT and then sell it on as a low miler.

As well as the cost/value implications, there are also things like the cambelt and other things that need to be done at certain mileages.

I could imagine a 3-year old car that's done 60,000 but has been reset to 20,000. Pay way over the top and the cambelt gives out about 30,000 miles later.

I guess if it's really cheap and easy, people could do it every year just before the MOT, along with re-fitting the cat.

"Milage correction" services - unthrottled

Didn't think of pre MOT!

I wouldn't pay a sixpence extra for a low mileage car-particularly a diesel. I'd assume the DPF was clogged, the oil contaminated and the clutch buirned to a crisp.

"Milage correction" services - injection doc

when I ran a garage I had numerous customers that would buy a car new and run it up to 10k then fit s/hand speedo head, ask me to change it back over before 1 st service at dealer ship then run another 10 k then switch it again and so on an so on. Easy peasy and speedo read right for 1st MOT ! I was quite suprised at how many people did it with new cars.

One of my cars many years ago it was easy just to take the fuse out for the speedo, but even funnier was the fact that if you left the ign on for 20 mins the dash would shut down, if you started the car without switching the ign off first the dash would stay off and you could drive hundreds of miles with no mileage recording ! crazy or what ! just use the sat nav for speed ! technology eh ! one step forward and two back.

Yeah there are loads of mileage correction guys going about daily, I know one who is so busy you wouldnt belive and the places he tells me he goes would make your eyes pop ! thats why I always buy new !

"Milage correction" services - Reentrant

My main worry is people who by new or nearly new, do huge miles, adjust the mileage before the first MOT and then sell it on as a low miler.

You'd also have to clock it before each service, as the mileage should be recorded in the service log book, and on the receipts.

If you "lose" the documentation to hide the true mileage, the car could be worth less than if you hadn't clocked it.

Or can the clockers get fake service histories too?

False service histories are very common ! First check is to call the garages in the service book and 2nd one is check the dates, I have often seen a sunday slipped in where a clocker just uses the first date they think of !
"Milage correction" services - bananastand

I knew there were crooks about, but this is horrible! If you use places like Carquake or national chains like Evans Holshaw, d'you reckon you'd be safer? Or am I being daft?

"Milage correction" services - WellKnownSid
The trick is never to buy a low mileage car, unless it's a new car!

Here in Spain, low mileage means clocked... we do 40,000km a year running the kids to school, and the nearest decent hypermarket is a 100km round trip - so shopping once a week adds another 5,000km a year.

A five year old car should have about 150-200,000km on the clock, and will cost much less than the equivalent car on a forecourt with just 70,000km on the clock.

Both cars will be identical, of course... the only difference being price and the 100,000km knocked off the more expensive car!
"Milage correction" services - 12345oncei

I recently watched a consumer programme on BBC wales featuring Evans Halshaw. I don't believe the issues raised were of this nature. They were more warranty type things.

"Milage correction" services - Collos25

You have to have your wits about you,look at the tyres and the make and convert the wear to miles,look at the steering wheel,gearlever knob and gaiter,the carpets ,disc wear.all pointers to the correct mileage.Of the companies above one was guilty of offering clocked cars.

"Milage correction" services - jamie745

Am i the only one who thinks not having mileage counters would be better? People still buy cars based on numbers on the dash rather than looking at the car.

Yes but most people don't know what to look for when they come to buy a car; you must've met the 'tyre kickers'. So they rely on the odo and the paintwork for quality guidance. You don't even need to make much effort; just a bit of reading first and research into your shortlist of cars.

"Milage correction" services - davmal
Even the experienced cannot see everything. A tired gearbox can be quietened by using a more viscous oil, pedal rubbers replaced, a bit of scotchbrite on shiny worn plastics, stone chips touched up. Add a good valet and jet wash underneath and many indicators will be disguised. The odo should be used as an aid to assessment and not relied on exclusively. Taking it away would hamper mileage based service routine planning. and fuel consumption calculation, which is another way of monitoring engine health.
No simple answer, just dissuade the scum from doing it by applying draconian punishments.

Edited by davmal on 15/06/2011 at 09:17

Yep! I wouldn't get rid of mine - I need it to know how much fuel I've used as my petrol gauge is rubbish.

Besides, I would like to think that most people are basically honest and just want to get a good deal when they sell/buy.

"Milage correction" services - davmal
Oddly my fuel gauge is brilliant, so long as you have just topped it up. I can get 150 miles without using any fuel!

regards to mileage, you could get away with just a trip meter , to calculate fuel etc and know what distance you have covered, and a service counter would suffice for when a service is due !

There again my personal car has only done 2700 miles this year so mines very low mileage but without a mileometer people may think its done more !