Ford Fiesta - Can't remove main crank bolt when changing cambelt - kwakaman
Hi, Can anyone help me please.
I'm trying to change the cambelt on my Fiesta 1.4 Petrol 107,500 Miles :-(

Have got the belt kit so have all part I need but can not get the Crankbolt to move, two of my mates have tried, one with a Snap-On 18v Impact Gun ( resulting in a bent extention bar) and the other with an Air-Gun with 1000lb/ft torque and still not budging , I'm stuck as what to do next ( short of attacking it with a sledge hammer lol)
Thanks Patrick
Ford Fiesta - Can't remove main crank bolt when changing cambelt - kwakaman
THIS IS A 2004 FIESTA ZETEC (Duratec) 1.4 Petrol
Ford Fiesta - Can't remove main crank bolt when changing cambelt - galileo

Any possibility it's a left hand thread? I think some air sensing fan drives were left hand threaded onto the water pump spindle in the days of non-transverse engines,

Ford Fiesta - Can't remove main crank bolt when changing cambelt - Railroad.

Unless this particular one is different they're not left hand thread. I'd get an assistant to sit in the car with his foot hard on the footbrake with top gear engaged. Then use a power bar and socket to slacken the bolt. Remember on these engines that the crankshaft and both camshaft pulleys are floating, meaning that they are not keyed to the shafts. If you crank the engine with any of the pulleys loose you will cause internal damage.....

Ford Fiesta - Can't remove main crank bolt when changing cambelt - injection doc

Rail road is spot on.

If some guy was using an extension bar with an impact gun it doesnt suprise me it bent ! An impact gun should only be used direct over an IMPACT socket to achieve the maximum impact of the gun, using extension bars causes the impact to be absorbed by the extension.

Normally a couple of sharp strikes with a hammer on the head of the bolt followed by direct action from an impact gun will remove the bolt if the engine is locked.

As railroad has said NO keyways so changing cam belt can be tricky unless you have it all timed and locked up. Serious damage can occur otherwise!

Ford Fiesta - Can't remove main crank bolt when changing cambelt - track

Had this problem many times with focus and fiesta. Just sit with a blow torch and heat the bolt, then use impact gun. Keep repeating this process and it will come free. Dont attempt to get the bolt too hot as too much heat can damage the pulley. Also a few belts inward with a copper mallet on the bolt will help to crack the threadlock on the bolt.