Vauxhall Astra H Estate - vauxhall H easytronic gearbox - paul1966

are these gearbox's reliable? i have read a few horror stories about them, i am looking at getting a 1.6 vvt easytronic but not sure about a semi automatic,i have only driven manual boxes and will probably never use the auto part, does the gearbox need regular maintanence and is it a diy job as i like to do all the routine servicing myself.

Vauxhall Astra H Estate - vauxhall H easytronic gearbox - injection doc

they are just horrid to drive, almost impossible to drive smooth as a manual, No park iether so if you wish to leave in gear when you park you have to select a gear and switch the engine off whilst in gear ! Bizzare or what and no mention in the 123 page handbook of that procedure !

As for reliability well your iether lucky or unlucky ! as with anything, the more complex the more to go wrong !

Vauxhall Astra H Estate - vauxhall H easytronic gearbox - Railroad.

I don't understand the idea of them. They're a manual gearbox that allows you to drive in automatic mode. If you really want an automatic then why don't you buy an automatic? On top of that I agree with what's already been said. They're horrible, and have the potential to go very wrong.....

Vauxhall Astra H Estate - vauxhall H easytronic gearbox - paul1966

thanks for the replies, i think i'll give it a miss. pitty because if it was a real manual gearbox i would have had it. looks like its back to looking at ford focus then

Vauxhall Astra H Estate - vauxhall H easytronic gearbox - DriverEd
Don't listen to all this. The Easytronic box can be great if properly used and maintained.

Biggest advantages are that you get really great MPG for an 'auto' - I get a real world 40+mpg around town and high 50s on a run. Definitely the most economical auto estate car and you can even get factory LPG versions! You also don't get the blunted performance of an normal slushbox - which means you get very good performance from the 1.6.

If people can't drive them smoothly its because they don't understand the technology or their clutch actuators need adjusting. Remember that mechanically this is a normal manual clutch plate mechanism, just that the clutch release is operated automatically instead of by the pedal. To drive it smoothly, do what you'd do in a normal manual car and lift off the throttle as you change up (around 2000 rpm in full auto mode). If driving in manual mode (my preference), again, just remember to lift off the throttle as you change up.

Do this and it'll change as smoothly as you ever could in a manual car - although of course not as smooth as a slushbox. You do need to keep the car serviced too as the clutch actuators need to be adjusted to keep the gear change smooth. And a clutch change will be a main dealer only job due to the clutch software programming.

I've had mine for 4 years, doing a hard daily commute and it's never missed a beat. I'd buy another one.
Vauxhall Astra H Estate - vauxhall H easytronic gearbox - Railroad.

All very fascinating, but it doesn't alter the fact that it is a conventional manual gearbox which uses electronic actuators to operate the clutch and to change gear. As I said earlier, all the more to go wrong. I have worked on and driven a few of these, and personally I wouldn't have one if I was given it.....