confused - 3.5-4.5k auto estate - Nickski2

Hi Forum, after having a rethink, im in the market finally for a 3.5-4.5k estate auto, i need a decent amount of room and im throughly confused. we will do a mix of driving in it doing about 10k max a year, i presume this rules out a diesel.

brand is not an issue but reliability and mpg is. i was thinking a golf or passat previously in diesel format.. so something with a few comforts.

Edited by Nickski2 on 04/06/2011 at 10:02

confused - 3.5-4.5k auto estate - Avant

Perhaps predictably, I'd suggest an Octavia: you'll get a newer one for your budget than you would a Passat, and it's roomier than the Golf estate (which is excellent - I've had one - but there aren't many around, possibly because people tend to buy Octavias).

Or else go Japanese - Mazda 6, Toyota Avensis, Honda Accord.

confused - 3.5-4.5k auto estate - oldtoffee

With that relatively low mileage I'd prioritise condition, service history and potential reliability over mpg. Quick search on Autotrader shows the most popular as Chevrolet Tacuma, Hyundai Matrix, Vauxhall Astra and various Renaults and Focus (both not known for auto box reliability) , not large estates but quite roomy. I'd add Nissan Almeira Tino and Mitsubishi Lancer or if you don't mind a gamble an Omega.

confused - 3.5-4.5k auto estate - Bobbin Threadbare

I'd second the Octavia suggestion. They're suprisingly nice. Honest John does some good comparisons of boot size for different vehicles too.

However, I really like my Mazda 6; even the hatchback version fits a single bed in with the seats folded down.

Thanks, what is the best engine model to go for? anyone have any experience of the auto box?

On the Octavia? Word would have it that the 1.8L TSI is a decent one and very nippy. However, Honest John reckoned a 1.4L chain-cam petrol with a water-cooled turbo...

The query is similar to your own:

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/...l

The diesels are thirsty and if you're doing low mileage then have a petrol I reckon. They're quite low on VED as well.

confused - 3.5-4.5k auto estate - oldtoffee

>>>On the Octavia? Word would have it that the 1.8L TSI is a decent one and very nippy. However, Honest John reckoned a 1.4L chain-cam petrol with a water-cooled turbo...

For £3,500??

Nope, not the 1.4L. Quite new. Just an interesting read. You can get a 1.8L for under £4.5k though, like this one:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20111538455...p

Agree - the petrol 1.8 Octavia sounds like your best bet. You can specify automatic on the Autotrader search engine: there will be some in your price range although far fewer than manuals.

Thanks for the thoughts and efforts guys, Skoda Octavia's look good but the turbo petrol is going to be too thiristy I think, or have i got that wrong? I have a heavy right foot and ride a motorbike, consequently my driving style is best described as 'agressive' so im not sure a turbo would help me be econominal. what about the other models in the range?

confused - 3.5-4.5k auto estate - unthrottled

Contrary to what some people might think, a 150 hp diesel will drink fuel at almost the same rate as a 150hp petrol at full chat. It's only at low load that the difference widens.

Nothing will get good economy from aggressive driving, nothing. Sorry!

Edited by unthrottled on 05/06/2011 at 13:56

i think get your point, flat out petrol and diesel there is nothing in it. i was just saying if i owned a car with more ooomph, i'd be likely to use it and consequently lower my mpg, hence lookinmg at the other less powerful options. i want to be safe, comfortable and economical. in a reliable auto estate.

Edited by Nickski2 on 05/06/2011 at 14:17

i would like to try to change my driving style to maximise any potential savings and leave the fast stuff for a bike.

You can check out 'hypermiling'. Not saying use all the techniques; I like to do what cars are intended for - drive! But I keep my car well serviced, carry no unnecessary weight, I check my tyre pressures every few weeks and make sure they're pumped to the right PSI, I keep my windows shut at speed and try not to use my aircon unless it's very hot, I try to drive in shoes I can feel the pedals through properly, I coast small hills, roll to a stop and come out of gear at lights and I don't use the car if it's a very little journey. The mpg I get is not bad at all, and I certainly don't creep on the motorway.

Thanks Bobbin, due to a back complaint im limited to an auto, but ill check out hypermiling anyway. still not sure about the best engine to go for.

I echo Avant - check out Autotrader; it is eminently searchable! If you just whack in a £4k limit, automatic, petrol estate cars you get a lot of Chevys and Renault Scenics, and loads of those Kangoos that look like Postman Pat's van, but I did spot a BMW 316 estate, a Passat and a Golf, and a couple of very low mileage Fords (C-max and a Focus).

I still like the look of the Octavia but most of the autos are 2.0L. Sorry that really doesn't answer it!! I'd be off out test-driving ;-)

Ooh what about a Skoda Fabia estate? They apparently give very decent mpg.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20112038759...p

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 05/06/2011 at 18:01

It's stretching it to call the fabia estate an estate...

It might well answer it - nothing wrong with a 2-litre. I've always gone for the larger engine where there's a choice: I remember fondly a Laguna 3.0 V6 which regularly did 30 mpg, and being comparatively lightly stressed used no oil over the 100,000 miles I did in it.

I'm a classics graduate and unlike you, Bobbin, no physicist, but my gut feeling is that a big lightly-stressed engine will last longer and use little more fuel than a small-capacity screamer. I've seen reports of disappointing fuel consumption from, for example, the Skoda Yeti 1.2 and the new twin-cylinder 900 cc Fiat 500.

The 'no substutite for cubic centimetres' argument is an old-fashioned one which has gone out of fashion but I think may be making a comeback.

Edit - an interesting caveat which I've just seen in the new thread about DPFs: the big engine / small car combination is not so good if you usde a diesel mainly round town, as the engine is doing little more than idle and the DPF is liable to clogging. But then don't buy a diesel for low-mileage town use. Town use is of course where the smaller engine does make logical sense.

Edited by Avant on 05/06/2011 at 22:30

No indeed. I drive a 1.8L and it's fine. My F-i-L drives a diesel Audi A6 2.0L and he gets excellent mpg out of it. My mum gets worse mpg out of a Toyota Aygo than you might expect - she never uses the flaming thing and it does short journeys when she does.

It's that balance though - you have to decide whether petrol or diesel going on what journeys you'd use it for.

Quoted mpgs have become the 'in' thing for helping to sell newer cars though, because of the banded tax system. Half of them are utter bunk! I bet there's some Jag drivers on here that get good mpg out of them.

confused - 3.5-4.5k auto estate - jamie745

Dear God all this nonsense unimportant physics rubbish has leaked into this thread as well!

Mwahahahaha

You can't discuss engines without Physics Jamie!

Humour me and try

Jamie I suggest you do nothing for the rest of your life so as to avoid contributing to the eventual heat death of the universe

Now thats just uncalled for.

Pot calling the kettle! Although your 'big bang' comment made me howl with laughter.

Well at least ive stirred some emotion in you.

To an extent I agree with you, Avant. There's a simplistic mentality that a 1.0l engine will use half the fuel of a 2.0l and this is entirely false.

That said, trying to eek out economy out of a very large displacement engine strikes me as slightly perverse. You don't enjoy the benefit of the potential power and your economy is still below what you would get out of a smaller engine.

I think it's about picking an engine that's appropriately powered for your use. This is particularly applicable to diesels.

Marine users are terrified about idling their diesel engines for an extended period of time-because the engine just doesn't warm up properly at idle and there is a threat of bore glazing. If you think about it, a 250hp 3.0 turbo diesel is running at little more than idle for the vast majority of normal road driving. That makes me nervous.

At the other end of the spectrum you have people trying to wring out 90+ hp out of a 1.2 petrol. No road engine could sustain this power output for a long period of time without overheating critical components. If you look at car derived engines used for constant power eg the excellent VW 1.9 TDI, the rated outputs are very low.

As with many things, the middle road appears to offer the best compromise-but in a world of superlatives this 'boring' option often gets overlooked.

Well, i thought i was confused at the beginning of the thread.

It's drifted a little off thread! Think the recommendation was an Octavia, then a discussion about small vs big engine started!

Agreed, Octavia auto estates are a little thin on the ground, esp petrol in my price range , ill have to lie in wait on autotrader..

Edited by Nickski2 on 07/06/2011 at 14:28

confused - 3.5-4.5k auto estate - Big John

My dad had until recentley had a 2001 2.0 Octavia Auto which proved very reliable. As expected It drank petrol around town but he used to top 40mpg on long continental runs - he was a steady driver though.

The engine design was the old 8v design complete with throttle cable - remember them? Probably not as efficient as some but very robust an straighforward - capable of starship miles. It never used a drop of oil between services.

confused - 3.5-4.5k auto estate - John F

Had you thought of an old Audi A6 Avant? Six cylinder petrol, especially with the lovely Tiptronic 5HP19 box, are rare and cheap. They are beautifully made, galvanised, and tend to be reliable.