Family car - Ford Focus estate or C-Max? - stueyg
Hi there,

My other half and I are due to be having a baby in October and so we're looking at getting a "family car". I'm currently in the process of trying to sell my 07 Honda Civic 1.4 Auto (damn i-shift gearbox, why couldn't Honda have used the same CVT from the Jazz?!) which should leave me with enough money for a 2/3 year old car.

Due to personal circumstances I only have an auto license and like the look of either a 1.6 Ford Focus estate or a 2.0 Ford C-Max.

Simple question; which would you all go for, given the choice?

Answers on a postcard............
Family car - Ford Focus estate or C-Max? - unthrottled

Not sure if this applies to petrol but the Cmax 1.6TDCi CVT was a disaster.

To be honest with one child-the civic will be perfectly adequate. But if you want a larger car the focus estate has bags of passenger and cargo volume. The MPV doesn't really offer any more space than an equivalently sized estate-and the estate is nicer to drive. The focus is not a small car and, mated to an auto, the 1.6 won't be sprightly. However the CMax wil be a bit of a gas hog and is hard to justify.

Family car - Ford Focus estate or C-Max? - stueyg
Hi, thanks for your message.

Long term plan (all being well) is that we won't be stopping at 1 sprog and we see now as a good time to change to a bigger car that will last us a good few years whilst we have the funds.

I think we'd be ok with the civic but I'm not it's biggest fan; I previously owned a CVT Jazz which was awesome to drive but sadly got written off by some uninsured scroat with no license. I don't get on with the i-shift gearbox and other half refuses to drive it so we really do need to change.

Think I am leaning towards a focus estate but might have a look at the 2.0 litre model. Anything major I should look out for with a 3-5 year old vehicle?

Thanks.

cambelt change (you can pay to have it done, but factor it in), FFSH (technically independant servicing counts, but Ford servicing is a very useful bargaining tool if something does go wrong).

My parents had a focus estate-couple of minor faults cropped up and had to be repaired but nothing major. It was very cheap motoring. The 1.8 might be a useful compromise (smoother than a 2.0l). My only concern is the autobox-and I know nothing about Ford autos other than the notorious CMax fiasco. A lot of 'volume' manufacturers have had problems with autos-mainly because so few of their cars are equipped with them.

Family car - Ford Focus estate or C-Max? - Chris M

I think the age of CMax you will be looking at means you will be looking at conventional autos rather than the CVT. Either way, a Focus estate and a CMax are virtually identical mechanically. Advantages for the CMax will be easier access for installing baby/toddler into car seat due to its higher seating position and built in sunblinds if you choose the right spec.

Family car - Ford Focus estate or C-Max? - Talking Hoarse

I spent a lot of time looking for just such a car up to a year ago,

We preferred the C-Max due to the access and seat comfort (although minimal lateral support). I ruled out the 1.6 diesel /CVT automatics due to reputation. I tried a few 1.6 petrol auto estates but thought them underpowered. I disliked (distrusted) the parking brake on the Ghia C-Max's, and thought the Zetec C-Max's very plain inside. That left the 2.0 diesel or petrol autos for both Focus's (Zetec, Ghia or Titanium) or C-Max's (Titanium) - but in acceptable condition and at the right price these are very few and far between.

Focus 1.6 auto's and C-Max 2.0 Zetec petrol autos were quite easy to find as ex Motability, but in particular the Focus 2.0 estate autos were quite rare.

Ended up with a new i30 CRDi auto via a broker......Good luck hunting.

Edited by Talking Hoarse on 04/06/2011 at 19:56

Family car - Ford Focus estate or C-Max? - mbah4

We currently have a Mk1 Focus 5 door 1.6 auto Zetec and a MkII Focus Titanium Estate with a 2.0 engine and auto. Our 1,6 has been driven as far as Venice and back and was quite comfortable at the legal limit (and perhaps above) in Italy and France. The 1.6 has done 70K miles and the 2.0 - 35K miles and both have been reliable so far.

At these speeds on the autostrada you need to look further ahead and plan overtaking manouvres as the 1.6 is not as easy to drive at these speeds as the 2.0 version, particularly on mountain passes. Long hills expose the smaller size of the engine but its perfectly OK. You can still pass Fiat Pandas etc! The auto boxes are not the same as the 1.6 diesel CVT and have been reliable and are still smooth in use.

We looked at the C- Max option before we bought the estate but the load platform in the estate is almost 100mm longer than the C Max. the 1.8 engined versions are not available with auto boxes and if fuel economy worries you I would go for the 1,6. The 2.0 is a case of if you can find one as they are quite rare. The 2.0 engine is chain driven camshafts so no belts to change.

We have just had the 1.6 timing belt changed at 68K and the car feels a bit more lively as a result. The FMC recommendation seems to change at 100K miles or 10 years(?)

Either should be a very good solution to your space issues.

Edited by mbah4 on 04/06/2011 at 21:42

Family car - Ford Focus estate or C-Max? - Collins63

Hi. We're about 18 months ahead of you - the boy's already into his 2nd car seat... We're also in a similar situation in that my wife has an auto-only licence. We put A LOT of research into choosing the right cars (we each need one) - prioritising safety, autobox (test drove many types, thought most were dangerously bad), and space - particularly to allow 4 other adults to travel in addition to big child car seat. The answer: Hyundai i30 diesel auto estate.

It scored highly for both adults and children at Euro NCAP tests, has a 'traditional' torque converter autobox, which does not lag when entering roundabouts etc., has plenty of pull - I have never wanted for any more, loads of room, particularly in the back and a very good sized boot.

It was cheap to buy (as not 'cool'), cheap to insure - and VERY ECONOMICAL. I commute daily with it into London - and get over 46mpg - from a diesel auto estate in town!

Then there's the warranty - we bought an 18 month old car, looked brand new and still had 3.5 years of warranty left - all for less than half its original price.

When the time comes, we would also strongly recommend you consider getting a rear-facing car seat once the baby is out of the 0-9 months seat, These are unusual here in the UK, but standard in Scandinavia - it's said they are children are 5 times safer travelling this way. We chose the BeSafe iZi X3 Combi ISOfix - and we and the lad are all thrilled with it.

Hope this helps.

Family car - Ford Focus estate or C-Max? - R2-CMax

I think the age of CMax you will be looking at means you will be looking at conventional autos rather than the CVT. Either way, a Focus estate and a CMax are virtually identical mechanically. Advantages for the CMax will be easier access for installing baby/toddler into car seat due to its higher seating position and built in sunblinds if you choose the right spec.

Note that both cars have ISOFIX compatible rear seats but will need the kits to be fitted (I think it can be DIY) or use a seatbelt mounting car seat.

If your car seats have a metal leg in the footwell, on the C-Max you MUST extend the leg fully into the bottom of the floor storage - DO NOT support it on the cover. Not all seats have a long enough leg so check carefully.

If you are tall, an advantage of the C-Max with sliding rear seats (Zetec or above) is that you can slide the back seats to create more leg space when the nipper moves into a bigger seat at 9 month-ish - you'd be surprised how the size of our seat means their feet are touching the back of the front seat. This also moves them towards the centre of the car too - fractionally safer perhaps?

I think Focus tends to have better absorption of small bumps than C-Max - presumably the spring rate is different to stop the taller C-Max flopping about in the bends. The Focus hatch is certainly a slightly better drive.

Family car - Ford Focus estate or C-Max? - Avant

Interesting. Two people above have clearly thought carefully about their car purchase and ended up with Hyundai i30s after being in the market for Fords.

Skoda have managed the same thing the next size up from this with the Octavia, partly at the expense of the Mondeo, Vectra/Insignia and their sister company's Passat.

I suspect Hyundai are after this market with the new i40, although they'll have to do better with their supply of cars than they have with diesel ix35s.

The Mondeo/Insignia are fine and (especially the latter) underrated cars. The problem is that their external dimensions (width) have swelled to the point that they've become overly cumbersome to operate in tight spaces.

The ubiquitous Octavia has, rightly, stolen a lot of market share from it's rivals and sister platforms but they're not cheap any more.

Family car - Ford Focus estate or C-Max? - Avant

They aren't - but Ford and Vauxhall prices have crept up too. To get a decent level of equipment on a Mondeo you have to go for a Titanium, and these are well into the over £20,000 bracket.

Family car - Ford Focus estate or C-Max? - oldtoffee

Yes but there's 20% obtainable off an equivalent Ford with a bit of bargaining which makes it roughly same as or less expensive than a Korean equivalents and arguably a much better car unless you place an inordinately high value on a long manufacturer warranty that will cost you dear at the dealer's service department.