Mondeo 2.5 V6 Ghia X - Fuel consumption - Mick68

My 89k Mondeo is giving 15mpg (urban), the oil and filter have recently been done and the air filter is in good condition can anyone please recommend what else i should check to improve this. Thanks.

Mondeo 2.5 V6 Ghia X - Fuel consumption - Avant

Moved to Technical.

Mondeo 2.5 V6 Ghia X - Fuel consumption - unthrottled

need more information-does the engine 'sound' healthy. Does it burn oil. Have you checked the brakes aren't dragging. Has the consumption suddenly got worse?

Forget the air filter-even blocked it won't make any difference to the consumption in a fuel injected car. If you're looking for ways to make it 'more efficient', forget it!

The engine sounds fine and 'no' to the rest. It freewheels fine so i presume there is no brake sticking on

Then that's your lot I'm afraid. It's only rated at 20 mpg urban anyway, and driving style could account for the difference. Most poor mileage woes are caused by driving style alas.

Don't waste any money on fuel economy 'solutions'. None of them work. If they did, Ford would have fitted them!

OK thanks for your advice unthrottled

Sorry :(

I've tried every mechanical trick in the book. The results are either negligible or have side effects. Tuning the right foot is the only one that worked for me! You can shift very early with a big engine, but I guess you've tried that!

Mondeo 2.5 V6 Ghia X - Fuel consumption - Peter.N.

Change it for a diesel.

Mondeo 2.5 V6 Ghia X - Fuel consumption - Ethan Edwards

A couple of free suggestions that might help once you eliminated everything else mechanical.

Driving style.

Avoid harsh accelleration and harsh braking. Lift off the throttle and coast if you see a hold up ahead, you may find by the time you arrive the hold up has moved on. So in this way avoid unnecessary stop starts. Keep your tyres up to the right pressure -check fortnightly (buy your own pencil type guage). Keep the speed down max 65mph on A roads or M ways. You'll be surprised how little it adds to your journey time. Leave earlier! Avoid jams it's probably better to drive a couple of miles detour than sit for twenty minutes burning fuel in a jam -you can do this by listening to the traffic reports on the local radio. Air Con - use this sparingly as it eats fuel, ditto opening windows at speed.

Remove the useless junk from your boot, remove roof racks etc. Take advantage of those supermarket 5p a litre offers. And finally drive in your socks not hefty great shoes.

Some of this may sound daft but it does work. You can up your MPG by up to 15% easy.

Hope this helps!

Thanks again to all :)