Ford Focus - Gear selector cables - am I being ripped off? - hoyak

Hello there any advice appreciated.

I have been quoted 215 pound to have my gear selector cables fixed, with the part alone in excess of 100 pound. However reading online and it seems that either the cables snap of become lodged out of place. My car is stilkl driveable and at the moment the problem is only a mild annoyance. So my question is, if I can still drive my car would I really need new cables? Or, if you need new gear selector cables would you be able to drive the car? I have managed to locate the cables at a breakersand am going to get them on Weds for 20 quid. At first they said I would have to get them off myself so when I phoned them to say I would bring someone with me to help me get them off they said come on Weds and we will do it for you. I am now worried that they may be smelling an easy pound and may just give me any old bit of junk. I don't even know what these cables look like. Obviously it may just be down to something simple such as being too busy earlier on in the week or better staffing on Weds idk. Any advice is massively appreciated. Really don't want to be mugged off as am only getting this fixed to sell the car. Many thanks!

Hoyak

Ford Focus - Gear selector cables - am I being ripped off? - Peter.N.

What are the symptoms?

Ford Focus - Gear selector cables - am I being ripped off? - madf

Why bother asking us and a diy job when you clearly have no idea of what you are going to do . If you were competent at DIY you would not have to ask.

If you are not competent, fitting cables is not for you. One wrong move and you could make things much worse.

Ford Focus - Gear selector cables - am I being ripped off? - 2fast4u

Why bother asking us and a diy job when you clearly have no idea of what you are going to do . If you were competent at DIY you would not have to ask.

If you are not competent, fitting cables is not for you. One wrong move and you could make things much worse.

sorry, do you have to be competant at DIY to actualy ask a question on this forum,

The question was am i being ripped of?f, not: how can i fit these cables myself.

What are the symptoms?

Occasionaly when selecting first gear, I will lift the clutch and the car will feel as if it is in third gear. Reselecting first gear a few times normally solves the problem. Also, when slowing down, say on approach to a roundabout, I will select second gear and the car will actually feel as if it is in fourth gear. I then have to either put it back in third and keep it moving or stop if necessary. This problem does not occur with every gear change into first/second.

Also to Madb, you should not make assumptions. Nowhere in my above post did I state I was considering fitting the cables myself. But thank you for your sneering and arrogant reply. I must also note you did not even bother to answer any of my questions.

Ford Focus - Gear selector cables - am I being ripped off? - Peter.N.

It could be cable end wear but I would suspect something amiss at the bottom of the gearstick, is there excessive free movement in either direction?

It could be cable end wear but I would suspect something amiss at the bottom of the gearstick, is there excessive free movement in either direction?

Err not too sure what you mean.. Occasionaly when I put it in first it slides in place slickly (for want of a better term) and seems to go further into position first. Whenever this happens the car will always be in third. However, this does not happen every time my problem occurs. I also forgot to mention that if you move the gear stick left/right and then take your hand off the gearstick, it will not spring back into neutral.

Many thanks for your interest in my problem,

Hoyak

Ford Focus - Gear selector cables - am I being ripped off? - madf

Hoyak.

If buying second hand, get a warranty.

S/h prices on ebay ? £25 to £45,,

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=focus+gearbox+cable+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=focus+gearvox+cable&_rdc=1

You don't quote model or age, so price could be anything.

Frankly, given your level of expertise and knowledge I would not recommend you buy anything second hand - as you have no recourse if it goes wrong. Get a garage to source secondhand and fit - their repsonsibility.

Apparently a new cable set is £130 so £250 fitted is fair.

All the above took 3 minutes to find... which is why I get short tempered with people who ask questions, don't provide full information and do no work of their own.

Edited by madf on 30/05/2011 at 15:49