Audi A3 2.0 140bhp TDI - Reliable TDI? - subfrequenz

Hi, I'm looking at buying an A3 - 2004 plate with 55k on clock (Audi A3 2.0 140bhp TDI). Has full Audi service history and seems in good condition. Just wondering how reliable these are? Read some horror stories about oil pumps damaging engine etc. But then surely any car can have problems?!

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

Audi A3 2.0 140bhp TDI - Reliable TDI? - dieselnut

If it's the 2.0 engine I would steer clear. The oil pump drive is a common failure on these engines. Major engine damage is common.

Look for a 1.9 with 130BHP AWX engine.

Audi A3 2.0 140bhp TDI - Reliable TDI? - subfrequenz

Thanks Dieselnut, I have heard a few people say that the 2.0 140bhp is not as reliable as the 1.9. Shame really as a lot quicker than the 1.9 105bhp. Known faults that threaten to destroy an engine put me off!

Audi A3 2.0 140bhp TDI - Reliable TDI? - nick74

An A3 2.0 TDI PD will very likely have the BKD engine which doesn't suffer from the oil pump drive problem.

VAG 2.0 PD engines are a bit of a minefield, some are basket cases and some are ok. The BKD seems to be one of the latter.

Edited by nick74 on 29/05/2011 at 22:55

Audi A3 2.0 140bhp TDI - Reliable TDI? - Roly93

If it's the 2.0 engine I would steer clear. The oil pump drive is a common failure on these engines. Major engine damage is common.

Look for a 1.9 with 130BHP AWX engine.

I think this is a bit harsh, granted the earlier 2.0 TDI's did have a design fault, but if its a later BRE engine you should be okay. I just sold an A4 with this engine and it did nearly 60K flawless miles, this engine also doesn't suffer from the injector issues that plague the 170BHP variants. That said if its a 2004 you are lookiung at its is probably a BLB or BNB engine which can be a problem.

Edited by Roly93 on 18/06/2011 at 20:11

Audi A3 2.0 140bhp TDI - Reliable TDI? - Paulhe

I have an Audi A3 - 2.0 TDI - the engine code is a BRC - could any one tell me if this is one of the potential suspect ones relating to the Oil Pump failure.

Superb car but I am thinking of stripping out the Oil pump and getting it modified as per honest John's reccomendation. Feed back would be deeply appreciated.