Vauxhall Astra H - Air con condenser - Englishbullterrier

Hi all, I'm liucky enough to have an ex Thames Valley 1.7CDti 5 door hatchback. Been really well serviced, as you might imagine and has an extra heavy sump guard fitted.

Problem is now that air con is not cold.

Subject to a leakage test, I believe the A/C condenser is damaged/leaking. A visual inspection shows that the bottom rail has come loose, although I am unsure if this is part of the pressurised system or simply a fixing rail.

My querie is, is it difficult to replace ? I realise the system will need recharging but was wondering about the physical aspects of replacing it.

I've done quite a bit on cars but never on the A/C side.

Many thanks..............ebt

Edited by Englishbullterrier on 22/05/2011 at 13:31

Vauxhall Astra H - Air con condenser - elekie&a/c doctor

The bottom rail of the condensor is just part of the support framework and is not under pressure.However I would not be surprised if the condensor has a leak.The last few I have seen have all shown evidence of corrosion in the bottom right hand corner (as viewed from front of car).One vehicle was an 07 plate,so just over 4 years old.Replacement requires removal of front bumper(not difficult) and various pipe and bracket fixings.You do need to get the system pressure tested to confirm your suspicions.hth

Thanks hth, I guessed as much about the bottom rail. Seems I can get a replacement for about £100 from a place called Viking radiators. Do you have a preferred supplier ?

I assume one input and one output pipe, plus fixing brackets ?

Not being an A/C man at all, can you tell me if the condensor is on the high or low pressure side and what fittings are used to ensure a good seal on the fittings ?

Many thanks................ebt

Vauxhall Astra H - Air con condenser - elekie&a/c doctor

Yes,one pipe in and one out.The condensor is on the hi-pressure circuit.The pipe fittings will be "pad " type with "o" ring seals held together with torx bolts.You could try Euro c/parts or Nissens for a replacement.However most of the aftermarket units usually need a bit of fine tuning to the support brackets to make them fit correctly.Bit like a C and A suit.Fits where it touches.hth

Thanks HTH, Nissens and Euro c/parts are REALLY expensive, and extra £70 ! (£171 !)

Thanks for information. Will I need to take main rad out and drain cooling system ? Sorry for stupid questions, I'm about 1100 miles away from the car at present, back in 2 weeks !....ebt

Vauxhall Astra H - Air con condenser - Victorbox

Might be worth checking with a Vauxhall dealer as over on the Zafira website they were talking about a recall for diesels where the aircon condensor has rubbed through due to faulty fitting. Some were being fixed outside the 3 year warranty. As Astra H and Zafira B are very similar the recall may apply to your Astra as well. http://www.vxzoc.com/forums/showthread.php?2061-Another-Recall-from-Vauxhall

Edited by Victorbox on 24/05/2011 at 13:51

Thanks for all input.......ebt