Ford Focus C-Max - Ford Focus C-Max 1.6 TDCi - Power Loss / DPF Query - 12345oncei

Hi There,

I am still hunting for a new car, we tried a Ford Focus C-Max 1.6 TDCi - Manual (2004 /54) recently that was in reasonable condition and drove nicely. The price is also tempting.

The snag is that I have been researching and my findings are worrying and offputting. Having said that I am unsure if what I have been reading applies to this particular car.

1. There a loads of reports of power loss with regards to the CVT version. It is not clear though whether the manual version is vulnerable to this issue. I'd rather not as one poster commented 'play Russian roulette with the lives of my nearest and dearest'.

2. Some although not all are fitted with DPF, it is not clear how to find out which. This particular vehicle is a 110bhp version with 129g/km co2, the sales man told me it has no DPF.

Obviously if the power loss affects non CVT versions then I shall walk away and consider other options.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ford Focus C-Max - Ford Focus C-Max 1.6 TDCi - Power Loss / DPF Query - unthrottled

I thought the CVT itself was the main problem-the engine itself is ok. Some cars had DPF back in euro IV, some didn't. All Euro V (post Sept 09) do.

CVT is one of those concepts that keeps cropping up every few years-looks promising in theory but rotten in practice.

Ford Focus C-Max - Ford Focus C-Max 1.6 TDCi - Power Loss / DPF Query - 12345oncei

Thanks unthrottled.

This is the conclusion I came to, but subsequently have read many things about hesitation on the manual version. This confused me somewhat.

I think perhaps the early c-max has lots of potential issues ....