Vauxhall Corsa 1.7cdti 07 plate - Any ideas? Whining noise at certain speeds - scot113

Before I take car to garage anyone any ideas what could cause a whining noise at 40mph then at 60mph. Noise sounds like fan belt on way out but not as loud and doesn't happen at start up.

Had wheel bearings at rear replaced few months back but this is not same noise and is not constant.

If I press accelarator gently the noise goes usually.

Not explaining it very well probably but any clues welcome so I can prepare for big bill!

Vauxhall Corsa 1.7cdti 07 plate - Any ideas? Whining noise at certain speeds - Robin the Technician

Hi,

This might be a long shot - my daughter has an 06 Corsa that whines at certain speeds. I thought it was rear wheel bearings but checked them out and were ok. Last week before MOT I had a tyre changed as it was damaged - however before getting the job done I swapped front to rear tyres so the new one would be on the back. Lo and behold, the noise is now on the front!! I can only conclude its tyre noise. As they are about two thirds worn I'll live with it!!

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician

Vauxhall Corsa 1.7cdti 07 plate - Any ideas? Whining noise at certain speeds - davmal
Is the noise present in all gears at those speeds, ie 3rd, 4th and 5th? It would give some indication of whether it is road speed or engine speed related, also, does it happen with the clutch engaged and disengaged?
Vauxhall Corsa 1.7cdti 07 plate - Any ideas? Whining noise at certain speeds - scot113

Drove back from work today with radio off to see what I could and could not hear. Noise started approximately 3/4 of the way home. Curiously I had slowed from 60 to 40 and dropped from 6th to 5th gear. I had done this earlier in the journey without any noise.

The noise appears and clutch is not engaged.

Now wondering if it is even wind direction affecting things as was driving into strong wind on way home. Clutching at straws me thinks.

Thanks for answers so far.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.7cdti 07 plate - Any ideas? Whining noise at certain speeds - unthrottled

Water pump? Ancillary belt?

Vauxhall Corsa 1.7cdti 07 plate - Any ideas? Whining noise at certain speeds - 1litregolfeater

Extended oil changes and lack of sufficient quality lubrication to the turbo.

Update guys, noise back!

Full story here, all help appreciated!

Suffering from noise whilst driving. Problem starts after say 10 - 15 mins driving and is like a high pitched noise. Is not there at start up and only when car is in motion both forward and reverse. As it's usually after car been driven my thoughts are it is something heating up? This has been ongoing for last couple of months.

Car is just about to do 40000 miles. Serviced and MOT annually. Am 36 so not a boy racer who is hard on the brakes etc. Car gives 54 mpg at moment too so engine seems fine! Car has had all four tyres replaced in last year.

One Vauxhall mechanic suggested brakes was issue but they were closing down so couldn't carry out any work! At last MOT it was noted brake pads & discs wear showing wear but was merely advisory. So pads replaced and discs allegedly cleaned by local tyrefitter who I use regularly. Noise disappeared for 4 weeks!

Booked car back in as noise was back. Shock horror no noise in lead up to the car going in. The mechanic cleaned the discs(which I think they had forgotten to do first time, no charge) and that was that.

Noise back the very next day.

Seems to be coming from right side of vehicle but is not permanent.

Any ideas before I put it in to garage again!?

Edited by scot113 on 26/08/2011 at 00:49

Vauxhall Corsa 1.7cdti 07 plate - Any ideas? Whining noise at certain speeds - 1litregolfeater

40000 sounds right for a water pump. No idea! Have you tried other forums, I might.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.7cdti 07 plate - Any ideas? Whining noise at certain speeds - iangriff

Update guys, noise back!

Full story here, all help appreciated!

Suffering from noise whilst driving. Problem starts after say 10 - 15 mins driving and is like a high pitched noise. Is not there at start up and only when car is in motion both forward and reverse. As it's usually after car been driven my thoughts are it is something heating up? This has been ongoing for last couple of months.

Car is just about to do 40000 miles. Serviced and MOT annually. Am 36 so not a boy racer who is hard on the brakes etc. Car gives 54 mpg at moment too so engine seems fine! Car has had all four tyres replaced in last year.

One Vauxhall mechanic suggested brakes was issue but they were closing down so couldn't carry out any work! At last MOT it was noted brake pads & discs wear showing wear but was merely advisory. So pads replaced and discs allegedly cleaned by local tyrefitter who I use regularly. Noise disappeared for 4 weeks!

Booked car back in as noise was back. Shock horror no noise in lead up to the car going in. The mechanic cleaned the discs(which I think they had forgotten to do first time, no charge) and that was that.

Noise back the very next day.

Seems to be coming from right side of vehicle but is not permanent.

Any ideas before I put it in to garage again!?

Could be a seized brake unit, as the heat builds up while driving the nose starts but will go at different road speeds due to cooloing of air. I had same sort of problem on my 4x4 ignored it for ages until the wheel Wobble started while braking from 70 down to 30. Wobble stopped when foot came off brakes. Take your car for a run stop and check, with the back of your hand each wheel in turn any wheel hotter that others will indicate somethng amiss with the brakes/bearings.

Car fixed! (I hope)

Rear brakes at fault, one side really bad which is a tad embarrassing though I know my way around pcs better than cars.

Hopefully weird noises gone, apart from my music tastes(Seasick Steve anyone?)

Thanks for all postings.