Ford Focus - Seeking tyre recommendations please! - Chris Adam

Sorry I posted this message in the 'Motoring discussion' forum just now, but just realised that maybe it should be in the 'Technical matters' forum! Please move or delete one of the posts if needed - thanks!

Hello all, I'm here after ages but used to visit daily for a few years! Hope you're all well. Thought it best to come back to the experts.

I need to buy 4 tyres ( 205/55 R16 , 91V ) for my Ford Focus 2006 (1.6 petrol hatchback). Have been doing loads of research, including looking at Which? and tyre review websites. The best performing brands in the Which? tests are: 1st: Continental, 2nd: Michelin, 3rd: Bridgestone. They also do well in other tests, so I've been looking at the following tyres:

Continental Sport Contact 2
Continental Premium Contact 2
Michelin Primacy HP
Bridgestone Turanza ER300

I was going to order one of the Continentals, but then came across lots of customer reviews saying that they wear out quickly. It seems that many people think that Continentals wear out quickly in general. As it's expensive to buy 4 tyres fully-fitted, I would be grateful for your input about your experiences with these and any other tyres. Which of the Continentals would you buy, if any, or what else do you suggest? Plus is it worth buying wheel alignment?

Also, I was going to order them from blackcircles.com, but please let me know if you have any other recommendations! Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Ford Focus - Seeking tyre recommendations please! - gordonbennet

Vredestein are very respected, Sportrac 3 is an excellent all rounder and always comes in the top three in tyre tests, though many other makers offer good quality at fair prices, Uniroyal, Nokian, Toyo and Gislaved for example.

I've recently been buying from Tyremen.co.uk, (Vreds at £60 each) have found them very good, also had good service from Mytyres (you need to jump when the bargain comes up), and used to get tyres regularly from Camskills, but their ability to supply varies.

Ford Focus - Seeking tyre recommendations please! - injection doc

I have found continentals very noisey and wear rate appalling. My Ford dealer recommended Hanooks which i declined the first time round and had another set of conti's but this time round after reading rave reports on Hanooks we had them fitted. To be honest much much better value for money, soooo much quieter ( something they are praised for on the forums ) wear rate is supposed to be good but untill they wear out i wont know. Handling is just as good but the car is so much better to drive.

I am convinced with tyres nowdays you often just pay for the name

gordonbennet, injection doc, daveyjp and Mike H - thank you beyond words for your replies. They are extremely helpful. Stupidly I posted my message in 2 forums (Motoring discussion and Technical matters), which is probably why gordonbennet thought his reply had vanished from one of them (sorry!!) but I do very much appreciate you posting in both forums!! I'm posting my reply to all your kind messages in both forums.

I just checked out the
Vredestein Sportrac 3 on the tyrereviews website and saw that they came top in the 2011 ADAC European Summer Tyre Test, so I'm seriously considering buying these, although they only came 6th in the 2010 Auto Zeitung Premium Touring Tyre Test. Any views on the Vredestein Ultrac Cento, which seem to do well in some tests? I'm not a slave to reviews though and value your experiences and opinions more. I'll also check out the Hankooks. (By the way injection doc, it's Hankooks not Hanooks, right? Genuinely just checking! Also do you have a Focus?)

The general consensus seems to be that Continentals wear out quickly, so they're off the list I think. But why do they do so well in tests? Do reviews never take longevity into account?

Any opinions on Michelin and Bridgestone tyres by the way? Also any opinions on 'premium touring' versus 'performance/sporty' tyres?

I will check out your recommendations about where to buy the tyres from, but I would like them to be fitted for me (plus wheel alignment maybe) and I don't think that Camskills fit them do they?

Mike H - just saw your reply - thanks very much. Actually blackcircles (and others) are still selling Continental Sport Contact 2s (does this mean the tyres are really old?) and have a 'premier' fitting garage just 2 miles from my home in north London (whereas with tyreshopper, my nearest garage is 13 miles away), so that's why I was considering them.

My tyre priorities are (like many people I guess) safety, fuel economy and longevity, less so noise (but quiet is good).

Ford Focus - Seeking tyre recommendations please! - unthrottled

When deciding on the 'best' tyre be aware that to a large extent grip is diametrically opposed to fuel economy and longevity. Soft, sticky compounds grip wonderfully but there is an inevitable price to pay in terms of tyre life and economy. Not that this ever crops up in marketting literature!

unthrottled, that's an excellent point and seems borne out by my own research. I even phoned blackcircles for advice who told me that premium tyres such as Continentals are soft and grippy and wear differently to other tyres.

I suppose if I was rich, I would get the best premium tyres (for grip, performance and safety but not for fuel economy or longevity) and change them frequently. However I'm not rich, so I'm looking for a compromise but would still make grip a higher priority than economy/longevity. Please feel free to recommend any tyres that fit these criteria!
Ford Focus - Seeking tyre recommendations please! - gordonbennet

Well seeing as Chris Adam is one of the few OP's that actually replies to responding posters, thanks CA a quite refreshing change, i'll add another couple of things.

I buy tyres with wet grip being the absolute top priority, anything will do in the dry, i run winter tyres (Vredestein and Nokian) anyway otherwise i'd be running all season tyres, but that's too far off topic.

When i buy tyres i tend to have a short list which i then keep an eye open for bargains over several months, i usually buy up to 6 months before needing them, if you buy winter/all season tyres that's a must if you don't want to get stung.

I've ended up with currently Toyo T1R's on my MB, good grip in the wet and wearing well but very noisy/

SWMBO's C2 VTS is quite a little flyer, her lead stilletto's help.;), it came (used) on the original Michelins which were hard (every bump transmitted), noisy and under acceleration suffered severe torque steer despite stability control, these were replaced with Sportrac 3's and the car is totally different, quiet, softer ride with no grip issues and the torque steer problem has disappeared....i factored wear of the Michelins into the comparison, but was quite disappointed considering the premium Mich price.

Put Uniroyal Rain Expert's on my daughter's Civic, which she drives neglectfully hard, they are doing the job well, quiet and grippy and show little wear considering the hammering they get, would recommend them too.

It does seem to be a rule of thumb this grip/wear combination, and i avoid so called economy tyres as in various tests they fall down in wet grip. Conversely my daughter had Vredestein Quatrac 2 all season tyres on her little 106 which she drove to destruction, these tyres are very soft being winter rated and gripped amazingly well but she got 45k miles of hard thrashing from them.

I used to buy tyres from a local indy who would find what i wanted and do me a good deal, however their front desk man has gone and with the new chap it's now a battle to get my choice instead of his, this seems to be a problem for many, hence back to buying on the net and getting them fitted. If you check out Mytyres website they have a fitter search facility, might be worth a peruse to see if there is a reasonably priced fitter in your area.

H

Hi Chris

You are correct its Hankook Tyres, " odd ball name " but grip and drive and fuel economey have all improved , but road noise dropped by 30% , and on Black cuircle they get very good reviews.

The Fiesta is a 57 1.6TDCi

Best Rgd ID

Ford Focus - Seeking tyre recommendations please! - Roly93

Ford fit Hankooks as standard on many Focus model now.

Another reasonably priced tyre I have found to be very impressive all round are Falkens. These are much cheapre than Contis or Michelins and almost as good.

Regarding tyre/road noise, this is an achilles heel of the Focus, so you definately dont want and hard or noisy tyres (like Dunlops).

Bridgestones seem to wear while you stare at them !

Edited by Roly93 on 18/05/2011 at 14:35

Ford Focus - Seeking tyre recommendations please! - unthrottled

Regarding tyre/road noise, this is an achilles heel of the Focus

Very true-especially in the wagon version! We replaced the rear wheel bearings because the noise was so bad-turned out to be hard cheap tyres.

Costco do Michelin Energies at a reasonable price. I think they're a decent compromise of longevity, noise and grip-dfinitely biased towards low rolling resistance though.