Mazda 2 - Changing car early - davecooper

I have spoken to a couple of dealers with regard to changing my current car for which the finance deal runs out in September. Both have suggested that there would be savings to be had if I changed before September. Having a new reg car on September 1st doesn't bother me but I would only be interested in changing early if there are savings to be had. How keen are dealers to shift cars between the March and September new registration dates? I am not expecting any huge discount but is there a bit of leverage to be had in this period?

Mazda 2 - Changing car early - davecooper

Since speaking to the dealer last week, something has occurred to me. If I terminate my current PCP deal early as he has suggested, the amount required to settle the finance will surely be the guaranteed future value of the car plus the payments I still have to make on the current plan. If so, that would mean an extra £600 which means I am that much down on what I have available for a deposit on the next car. I would then start paying for the next plan immediately. I would effectively be paying for both my current and any new deal until September. The only way it would be worthwhile would be if the dealer offset this extra cost and then gave a further reduction to make it worth changing early. I cannot see the dealer giving me a £600 higher trade in value now as opposed to September. Have I got this right?

Mazda 2 - Changing car early - Craigdm

Swings and roundabouts comes to mind...

Today you have a figure to settle your finance, and you car is worth £X. Wait until the end of your agreement and the finance is less, but you car is now older and worth less as well.

The GFV figure is irrelevent really, it's only there to encourage you to return to the same manufacturer who will offer you more for your trade-in so you will buy from them again.

I always swop before the end of the deal.....Must be that new car feeling.

Mazda 2 - Changing car early - unthrottled
Back in the days of annual registration plates there would be a dearth of sales in July and a flurry of sales around August 1st. The reason for switching to a 6 month registration plate was to put a stop to all this silliness and even out the pointless fluctuation of sales. So, no, I doubt it'll make much difference.