Toyota Aygo - Frist car confusion Aygo/107 yp or 207/fiesta type - CrazyH

Hi, passed my test a couple months ago, about to hit 23 and looking for my first car.

I was quite keen on the look of the aygo/107/c1 cars, cheap to run/inusre etc but even given that it seems expensive for what they are. For the same used price (4k) or even cheaper I buy something like a Peugot 207, previous generation fiestas ibizas and such.

My main routes to work are either A-Roads for 25-30 minutes or motorway for about 20 minutes, depending on my chosen route so not completely convinced that such a small car would be the best idea, though anything would be better than my current bus journey :p.

I learnt on a micra, I had no problem with the speed of the thing but I really disliked the handling I had no feel for what the car was doing at higher speeds and the body roll really bothered me especially on country roads

Fortunately I've been able to save up for a while so I'm more concerened about paying the "right price" rather than the cheapest I can find. Ideally want to keep the buy below 4k, but will approach 5 if it's a very good buy.

Thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Oliver

Toyota Aygo - Frist car confusion Aygo/107 yp or 207/fiesta type - Bobbin Threadbare

Hi Oliver

I posted a query like this last week - I'm looking for a car for my sister; she's a year older than you, new driver, and she wants a little car.

You've got to balance your options. You've got at a push £5k, but does that have to include your insurance too? It's going to be at the £1000 mark even for anything under 1.3l engine. Like you say, your driving options are short cruises, so if you wanted a bigger vehicle you can get a 1.8L Toyota Avensis with quite low mileage for fairly similar insurance as a Ford Ka. Comfy (but not cool for a 23 year old lad!)

My mum has an Aygo, and I hate how small it is; I feel much too close to the road and vulnerable. I prefer the tank I drive. However, her road tax is low and parking is a doddle. They are pricey for what they are, as Toyota is famed for reliability and they do hold value well as they're popular.

You could look at something in between; my first car was a 1.6L Ford Focus. Middling tax, reasonable insurance and plenty of room for all my stuff (it took 4 adults plus luggage to the Outer Hebrides no probs.) For £4000 you can even have one of those Nissan Qashqais (1.5L, grand's insurance, £95 tax - not bad!)

This website has some good articles and comparisons for low VED/insurance/mpg etc.

Toyota Aygo - Frist car confusion Aygo/107 yp or 207/fiesta type - unthrottled

Congratulations!

The problem is that anything that is affordable to insure in your first year will probably seem anaemic after about 3 months. This is why it is never worth spending good money on a first car-you just have to see it as a 'probationary car'. Serve your time and move on to what you want. Best advice is to to scout around the local rags for smallish cars with engines under ~1400cc, 12 months MOT, and uder £1500. Doesn't matter what make-condition is more important. But blow four grand on a 1.1 207 and 6 months time you'll be kicking yourself.

Toyota Aygo - Frist car confusion Aygo/107 yp or 207/fiesta type - davmal
Fiat Punto's are a cheap, cheerful and easily repaired little cars, ideal as a younger persons car. My daughter is on her third now (first as a learner, stuck 100,000 miles on her second), cheap to run (Full Comp insurance for £700), reasonable on fuel and very plentiful in scrap yards for the fragile bits and pieces Fiat fit (sun visors, interior trim etc). Spend 1 to 1.5 K and don't feel too bad about the invariable little bumps and scrapes.

Cheers for the replys.

As for a dirt cheap car, It's something I've thought about but decided against. Considering i will be driving it every single day, however you are probably right about blowing 4k on a 207 when I think abou it properly.

Going for something bigger is interesting, the Avensis is probably something of an overkill but something along the lines of a focus or corolla might not be a bad idea.

Not too bothered about passenger/boot space a 3-door in this class of car here could be a good money saver.

I don't care too much about how "cool" the car is, anything is cooler than the bus :D....

P.s fiat punto actually looks like something to look in too. Didn't realise how cheap they can be to pick up.

Toyota Aygo - Frist car confusion Aygo/107 yp or 207/fiesta type - Paul G1pdc

Had to grin when I read about being young a looking cool.

When we dropped down to one car for a 3 year period (I started running to work!!!!)

we sold a 35,000 mile volvo s40 1.8 year 2000 for £2500. with fsh.

a chap turned up after seeing the advert in the village shop window wanting a car for his daughter as HE was fed up fixing the thing, his daughter had bought the car because all her friends had one, and he was constantly fixing electrical then mechanical faults and he wanted to change...

the volvo has disk brakes front and rear, airbags, aircon etc etc. the clio she was running had none of that.....but it was cool......

he showed the car to his daughter, who refused to even drive it....he left in the middle of a arguement with her....24hrs later a middle aged couple bought it, and I still see them and the car almost 4 years later and they tell me its been very reliable and they've not changed anything apart from 2 tyres in the time they've owned it....

Alfa make cars that most red blooded males would love....(if they didn't have to pay for it and the repairs with there own money....saw a review on Ducatii motorbikes about 5 years ago,,,the wag reviewing the bike said you'd have to buy 2 one to ride whilst the other was getting the latest issues fixed.......oh dear.....

if it was my money, i'd sink as others have said, half the money into a 2k fiesta (cheap to fix) then after the first year when you get your 30% + no claimed discount then hunt around for something else...

also isn't is next year than female car insurance goes up to match males......hmmm another subject matter there....

Toyota Aygo - Frist car confusion Aygo/107 yp or 207/fiesta type - unthrottled

also isn't is next year than female car insurance goes up to match males

Quite. And men's pension annuities fall to the same level as womens'. Doncha just love the ECHR; when the huge body of actuarial evidence contradicts the preconceived notion of fairness-discard the huge body of actuarial evidence.

Toyota Aygo - Frist car confusion Aygo/107 yp or 207/fiesta type - injection doc

we have two C1's in our family one of which my 20 year old daughter drives.

Reliability for both has been spot on, handle really well and fly along even on a motorway, its loves cruising around the 90 mark and holds it on the hills.

Road tax is £20 for the year ! returns an average of 60 mpg, 72 if we try hard, 57 just around town and insurance for a brand new one for my daughter was £330 fully comp in her name !

We did look at buying VW Polo for about 4k but the insurance was £1400 + £180 road tax + 40 mpg times that over three years and its almost paid for the new C1 ! Plus we would of had maintanance on the Polo.

The C1 came with three years free serviceing. Its the cheapest and most reliable motoring we have ever experinced and my daughetr loves hers and her friends are envious that she only has to fill it once a month !

Toyota Aygo - Frist car confusion Aygo/107 yp or 207/fiesta type - P3t3r

I have a C1 too. I think they are great cars. They are fun and economical. They are perfectly fine for motorway driving IMO too (that's what I use my one for).

Somebody said that they feel small, but it doesn't feel small at all. It's not great in the back, but there is loads of space in the front, and why would you want to be carrying extra metal?

The C1/107/Aygo's seem to be pretty cheap to buy new (with lots of discount), but hold their value well. So I think they are a better buy when bought new. Fiat Panda's maybe worth a look, they are good cars, but I think they lose their value quicker.

£330 for your daughter is VERY good, other young drivers are unlikely to get anywhere near that. I'm paying that much with about 7 years NCD, and that was a really good price!

Well i'm still looking at £1000 insurance+ on a c1/aygo, compared to between 1300 and 1600 on a bigger car. used it'd cost me 4k to buy, not sure if the saving is really worth it unless I plan on keeping the car for a long time. Seing as I'm likely to cause damage to it it being a new driver I can't rely on holding value.

I'm tempted to go with an 02 plate focus over a fiesta, outlay would be very comparable (insurance is surprisngly similar, fuel is more but with my mostly extra urban driving I don' think it'd kill me) A fiesta of the same year/price is far lower spec as things like electric windows seem to be a luxury item on a fiesta and more standard on the focus.

Toyota Aygo - Frist car confusion Aygo/107 yp or 207/fiesta type - Craigdm

Just awaiting delivery of a new Twingo that I ordered for my daughters 18th. New and on the road came in at £6250. Or £1000 down and £75/month...Might be something for you to consider, as you'd be able to save some of your cash for a rainy day.

Insurance was quite reasonable too.....She's only just 18, full licence for less than 6 month and the insurance came in at under £1K...

Toyota Aygo - Frist car confusion Aygo/107 yp or 207/fiesta type - injection doc

Crazy H, when my daughter was looking at cars the insurance quotes were horrendous, but the new car avenue started to drop down to around 6-700, we guessed may be the ins company think we take more care of a brand new car ! ,Even 2 year old model the same was dearer than a new one! then she restricted the milage and upped the excess, got it down to 525 then , on the advice of the ins company put Mum and dad on as named drivers and that dropped it to £330.00 wierd or what but true. So the policy is in her name and its her car. She was 19 when she bought it.