Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - Help!!! Please....astra mk4 no power - knappoo
Hi all im new to this and require some help.

I have a astra mk4 1.6 8v club 1998, i recently put it thru an mot about a month ago and taxed it and was really enjoying having a car on the road as i was without one for 2 months. Everything was going good apart from drinking alot of petrol.

i woke up one morning and was planning a day out with the wife and kids and had trouble starting it but after about 10 mins it started. was driving along and noticed it sounded alot deeper than normal, only to realise that over night some cheeky fu**er had stolen my bore exhaust. Was told that it would be fine to drive if i could put up with the noisse and rich smell of petrol so we decided to carry on driving it but noticed it was slightly sluggish due to the obvious no back pressure.

then after a couple of days of driving with no backbox it decided to lose its power. managed to get it up the hill in 1st gear then it started sounding like a tractor pulled up and popped the bonnet and the engine was juddering a hell of a lot. then it cut out and wouldnt start.. luckily we wasnt too far from home so pushed it and rolled it down hills.

ffollowing day managed to jump start it but still sounds like a tractor and engine juddering. checked spark plugsand cleaned. still the same., but noticed that when ticking over and pulling off ht leads the engine cut out apart from the 3rd one it wud run the same. is this normal? you can rev the balls off it when idle buttheres hardly any power to drive at all and when driving it just wants to stall. also there is a hissing noise coming from the throttle body when ticking over., is that normal?

PLEASE ANYBODY ANY IDEAS/SOLUTIONS?

Thanks sam
Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - Help!!! Please....astra mk4 no power - unthrottled

Was told that it would be fine to drive if i could put up with the noisse and rich smell of petrol so we decided to carry on driving it but noticed it was slightly sluggish due to the obvious no back pressure.

there seems to be a problem with the posts right now.

Anyway, the absence of the back box would have no effect on the performance of the car-just the exhaust noise. There should be no smell of petrol from the exhaust-except immediately after a cold start. There's some serious misfiring going on. The smell of petrol and the loss of performance are indicators that your engine had a problem; the exhaust is coincidental.

If the engine note doesn't change when you remove an HT lead from a cylinder then that one isn't firing properly. Have you tried swapping the lead from another cylinder (assuming they are long enough)? Have you checked that it sparks when the engine is running? If you want to check a spark plug for operation whilst it is not seated, you'll need some large gauge copper wire to ground it so you don't damage the coil.

The hissing noise is not normal. Is there a hose that has come loose causing a vacuum leak. I don't want to sound preachy but when there's clearly a problem with the engine an 'Italian tune up' ca cause real damage.

Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - Help!!! Please....astra mk4 no power - knappoo

hi, thanks for your reply. ye they are all sparking fine and have changed the leads over and doesnt change anything. before i bought the car it had a new head gasket and coil pack fitted. iwhat does italian tune up mean? lol. many thanks

'Italian tune up' is basically drive it hard and hope the noise goes away!

Were any of the spark plug electrodes a funny colour eg soot deposits, very white etc? They should all be light tan coloured.