E220/230TE/E300 - Mercedes w124 estate - richardcroft

I'm looking to finally take the plunge and buy a w124 estate. This is car I've always admired. I've just missed out on an E300 diesel on ebay which I suspect has been bought by a dealer. I've noticed the diesel seems to sell for much more than the 4 cylinder petrols. Is it really worth it? And is there much difference between a 230TE and an E220? I've seen a very nice 230te, one owner, 170,000 miles for sale. If I took it up to nearly 200,000 or just over would it be difficult to sell?

Cheers

Richard

E220/230TE/E300 - Mercedes w124 estate - Avant

Old Mercedes, if properly looked after, seem to go on forever, and I think that applies equally to petrol or diesel. Unless you are going to do a huge mileage, save money and go for a petrol.

E220/230TE/E300 - Mercedes w124 estate - ddr

Suppose that depends on the definition of looked after!

Labouring under a similar notion, i once bought a 190E for a few hundred pounds. Had 170k.. indicated. Owned it for about 6 months.

Nice to look at.. but:

Discovered headgasket was blowing, water needed topping up every 200 miles or so.

Kickdown response from the auto trans was hit and miss, not what you want when you pull out to overtake..

Alternator failed on the M4.

Top reasonable speed was 65mph, due to quite short top gear.

Fan belt tensioner was shot wobbling all over the place

Cooling system was gunged up to the extent that heater never worked.

Which was just as well as the heater matrix was shot, dribbling water down the bulkhead into both footwells, painful to passenger if the hot water gets on them.

Also the bearing on the fan blower motor were shot and making a horrific noise, so you couldnt clear away the condensation caused by the water leaking in.

That forced you to open the windows, which filled the car with the petrol fumes from the leaking fuel lines, so you needed a shower after every drive.

Still, very smooth and solid feeling, and seeing the 3 pointed star (aka crosshairs) on the bonnet as you drove gave you warm feelings. :)

...Until of course the inevitable happened and some scrote wrenched it off.

Edited by ddr on 15/05/2011 at 19:00

E220/230TE/E300 - Mercedes w124 estate - gordonbennet

Diesel estates fetch silly money unless starship mileage, and unfortunately they will run on comedy fuel so unless you know the previous owners you run the risk of holding someone else's time bomb.

A good E220 will be almost as economical as the Diesel, and it doesn't seem to suffer quite as badly as the 230 for CHG failure, however they are not indestructible and need good regular expert maintenance to keep them well, unless you are good mechanically you'll need a competent indy reasonably close to keep it fettled.

A previously neglected or abused example will be a money pit, they have expensive common faults, a browse on the reviews section here (above) should prove an interesting read.

E220/230TE/E300 - Mercedes w124 estate - WellKnownSid

I have an E300 saloon - which is the weekend car. It's fantastic - immaculate inside and out, but you need to be either handy with a spanner or have reasonably deep pockets to keep one in very GOOD condition.

Make sure you drive before you buy. From comments from friends who've owned the E220/E230's from new... they are only good if you're not in a hurry to get anywhere. The non-turbo E300 diesel is equally slow, although I know someone with an E250TD which is actually okay. I've also driven the 24 valve E300 Sportline - and that car handles like a Golf!

Make sure you find a good one, though. eBay rubbish that you think you'll "fix" should be avoided at all costs - a car is only as good as the previous owner, and with any old car it's easy to let them degrade to the point that you've suddenly got a laundry-list of parts to replace.

It should start / stop / run perfectly... from cold and hot - all the usual things. Do all the warning lights come on when you turn on the ignition and extinguish once started? If it's an auto CHECK REVERSE GEAR! Oil (or a spotless engine) may mean the head-gasket is going. The heater matrix is a common source of leaks - do the windows steam up with the heat on?

Have you got a good mechanic that knows these cars inside and out? If they don't know their way around a K-jetronic mechanical fuel injection system, for example, then a simple fault could end up costing a small fortune in unnecessary replacement parts. Ditto with the Diesels which have a very complex vacuum system.

Good luck!

E220/230TE/E300 - Mercedes w124 estate - barney100

Having seen many old Mercs in pristine conditionI and some not I think you just do the normal things when buying a used car. If you aren't an expert get someone who is to give it the once over. There are some honest good cars out there and you could have one. Might be a good idea to join the Mercedes owners club and they have many experts who will give you good advice if you are set on getting one. Add to that you get 10 pr cent off parts at dealers.

E220/230TE/E300 - Mercedes w124 estate - Collos25
Whatever model the 124 is old and as such will cost money to keep running and more so to keep in pristine condition.The addage "the newer the better" stands true.
E220/230TE/E300 - Mercedes w124 estate - WellKnownSid

The later W124s had different problems to the earlier ones... for example engine wiring harnesses on post '93 cars. Older cars avoid that issue, but will require a good old-fashioned tune-up from time to time.