Mile-munching estate - WellKnownSid

I've been going to replace the trusty FIAT estate for almost 2 years, but it just keeps going and going and going. With 330k (km) on the clock, my luck must eventually run out so I've decided a change is needed.

Mileage is likely to increase due to work commitments, and given the high second hand prices here in Spain I'm looking for a new car which will be my workhorse for the next five years, by which time it'll have 250-300,000km on the clock. An estate format is the most practical for both dogs and shopping, and of course mpg as I'll be spending more on fuel than the car. I'll want a mid-high range diesel for drivability - nothing underpowered as the mpg is rarely worse for the bigger diesel engines in any case.

Reliability is important... that that rules out anything French. The Hyundai i30cw scores well due to the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty, and although most others can be extended it comes and a price and they do have a km limit of 100-150k - even Kia only covers the Cee'd up to 150k in later years.

For the sub-20,000 euro budget there is quite a selection including the new Focus... I would just have to take the hit on the repairs...

Can anyone throw in a curve ball before I once again hit the dealer networks? TIA.

Mile-munching estate - injection doc
Passat 2.0tdi est. Great car, loads of room 50-60 mpg I used to cover 600-800 miles daily no problem, mine were always reliable
Mile-munching estate - Roly93

Passat 2.0tdi est. Great car, loads of room 50-60 mpg I used to cover 600-800 miles daily no problem, mine were always reliable

Whoaaa !! Watch out for the VaG bashers !!

Agreed, they are great and durable cars...

Mile-munching estate - veryoldbear

I suppose a bit depends of dealer networks and spares availability. No axe to grind here, but does anybody have any experience of the SEAT EXEO?

VWAG is very well represented here... all of the marques seem popular, so Skoda / SEAT / VW will certainly go onto the shortlist.

The Exeo looks a brilliant car on paper... last season's A4 for Golf money... I've just never seen one on the road!

Mile-munching estate - newman

New shape toyota avensis tourer is pretty good. I have the 2.2 auto diesel and servicing every 10,000 miles. Should be very reliable.

Mile-munching estate - Avant

I'd go for the Octavia Sid - cheaper than the Passat but with no loss of quality, and more room for people, things and dogs than the Golf or the SEAT Exeo. Same range of engines as all those, so a SEAT dealer could look after it if one is nearer to you.

Depending on whether you're buying new or used, best to go for the 2.0 TDi common rail or the 1.9 TDI. The 2.0 TDI PD has had a few problems. If you can afford it, the common rail is excellent - much quieter and a more linear progression when you accelerate.

Edited by Avant on 15/05/2011 at 18:30

Thanks, guys. VWAG is definately on the list... the 10% extra cost of the Passat will probably be more than returned once I try to sell a five year old one with 275,000 on the clock. The Octavia, Superb and Exeo are also similarly priced - making cars like the Megane tourer / Peugeot 308 SW look stupidly expensive...

It'll definitely be new... second hand prices here in Spain are high, nearly new examples are normally more expensive than brand new cars which include a manufacturer's offer.

Good point about the Avensis... a friend of ours swears by Toyotas - and no doubt would be good for any mileage.

I'll keep you posted!

Mile-munching estate - unthrottled

Reliability is important... that that rules out anything French.

Nobody ever WANTED a French car-but that doesn't make them bad cars. The German marques are, IMO, much nicer cars, but their price tags reflect this.

To make a valid comparison, you have to compare on price. The Octavia is a great car-but they aren't cheap anymore. The ones that are cheap are generally ex-taxis...

I'd put my money on a newish Citroen needing fewer major (expensive) repairs than a Taxi Driver's cast-off.

Mile-munching estate - fredthefifth

When I moved from my SAAB Aero (... and I still reflect on the discussion I had with unthrottled at the time), I ended up buying a 2.0 Litre HDi Peugeot 407 Estate. It does mid 40's around town and on the motoway mid 50's easily. If I had the patience to sit at 60mph I'm sure it would go over 60mpg no problem.

In terms of quality its not the SAAB (which I did enjoy but it was the top of the range 260 bhp Petrol version and cost too much to run, 20 mpg around town, £440 tax etc) but because the 407's are end of life I got a 10 Plate for £12.5K from the local Peugeot dealer which was a far better deal than I could get on the Insignia's and Mondeo's I was looking at. There were two for sale and the other went to somebody that provides long distance executive taxis (query executive but anyway!). They swapped in their old 407 to get a newer one. Definately did loads of miles, can't recall exactly but they used to have the 20,000 mile service booked in every 3 or 4 months.

Now that's a mile muncher!

Regards.
FTF
Mile-munching estate - Collos25

"I'd go for the Octavia Sid - cheaper than the Passat but with no loss of quality"

I would have put a an Octavia on a par with a Passat a poor mans Golf maybe because thats what it is .A colleage is just coming up to 200k km on his Octavia combi 1.9d and its almost like new to look at never a moments bother serviced at 30k intervals apparantly.

Mile-munching estate - Collos25

"I'd go for the Octavia Sid - cheaper than the Passat but with no loss of quality"

I would have put a an Octavia on a par with a Passat a poor mans Golf maybe because thats what it is .A colleage is just coming up to 200k km on his Octavia combi 1.9d and its almost like new to look at never a moments bother serviced at 30k intervals apparantly.

This is Spain, French cars are more expensive than German ones!

• Peugeot 308 estate with 1.6 eHDI 112 engine is 23,250e
  • Skoda Octavia Combi Greenline with 1.6 105 engine is 21,480e
  • Passat Variant Bluemotion with 1.6 105 engine is 23,890e

...so for the price of a French Focus, I could have a Bluemotion Passat or a Skoda with all the toys...

Mile-munching estate - daveyK_UK

a 2.0 petrol mondeo estate eats the miles.

they can easily do 200,000 miles before they hit any big problems.

Well, we hit the Skoda dealer yesterday. First impressions of both the Octavia and Superb estates were great... there is little difference in price between the two, and for some engine combinations the Superb is the cheaper car by 1,500€. Either car I'd happily spend a month out of every year in the driver's seat... light years ahead of the Koreans.

The only downside is that SWMBO fell in love with the Yeti whilst we were there, so we may end up getting two cars, not one!

Mile-munching estate - barney100

No contest, high mileage and reliability = Volvo estate.

Mile-munching estate - Vincent de Marco

(...) second hand prices here in Spain are high, nearly new examples are normally more expensive than brand new cars which include a manufacturer's offer (...)

How come ???

(...) SWMBO fell in love with the Yeti whilst we were there, so we may end up getting two cars, not one (...)

Two Yetis perhaps :) ?

How come ???

Taxes on second hand cars, red tape, a fear of buying anything "new", limited competition and simple supply and demand (a LHD car can be used pretty much anywhere in Europe, not so easy with a RHD) help maintain a dysfunctional market which keeps second hand prices high. At the same time, manufacturers are able to offer a constant stream of discounts, incentives, special editions plus low carbox tax breaks from the government keep the on the road costs of new cars down.

Why buy a 2009 MY car with 10,000km on the clock with half the kit for 15,000 euros when you can buy the new 2012 MY car with a load of special-edition goodies for 16,500? (an actual example from my local dealer!)

Two Yetis perhaps :) ?

Hmm... maybe!

Mile-munching estate - oldtoffee

Did you get to drive all three Skodas? There's quite a lot of talk on some Skoda sites on how noisy Octavias are and what are the best soundproofing kits to cut down on motorway noise (I assume you'll spend quite some time on motorways for that mileage?) so I'd definitely test one on various motorway surfaces and speeds to satisfy yourself. My 05 Passat estate is much quieter on the motorway than the 06 Octavia estate I had a while back. Yetis aren't known for being great motorway cruisers but Superbs are. I'd take the Superb if its anywhere near the same price as the Octavia.

Sadly, it looks like I've drawn the short straw :(

I have to admit, the Yeti was a great drive, so we're ordering one to replace the wife's two year old Fabia - this will mean much greater space and flexibility with her car. The waiting list for a factory order is only about 8 weeks here.

In the meantime I get to keep my old banger for a wee while longer, with a view to picking up a new Superb estate in about 6-9 months time, once I've saved up a few more pennies. The Octavia was good, but the Superb was better, and the pricing overlap makes it a no-brainer.

Mile-munching estate - Avant

Good luck with it Sid, and I'm sure you'll love the Superb when you get one. That's two out of three moderators with Skodas in the household - come on Boris, let's be having you!