Lots of miles in a short space of time = bad? - mike1976

Hi there.

I am looking to buy a used car (budget circa £10,000). Not knowing ANYTHING about cars or engines, I have been looking at inependant local dealers who have been around for several years, and franchised dealers such as Audi, Ford, etc - in my attempts to limit risk.

With the local dealers, most of the window stickers say '1 owner from new' which suits me well. But when I ask further this always seems to mean ex-lease.

Case in point. - I found one recently that was spotless, indestinguishable inside from brand-new despite over 60k on the clock (2007 reg).

I was very keen, but when looking at the paperwork it was ex-lease. I googled "ex-lease buying guide" and a lot of people seem to think that these should be avoided like the plague, or, at the very least be much cheaper than book price (this car was a fraction over).

I told myself this wasn't a problem, but looking at the lease history I noticed the car had done a lot of it's miles in very short periods - hence the good inside condition?

For example - in the first 6 months it did around 9,000 miles - then in the space of 18 days it did just over 10,000 miles! Then some months later it did 18,000 in around 2 months. I don't even do that in 2 years :)

So my question is - should this hard usage deter me? The log does show that it had good services right after each big drive.

Or would you be better with a slightly older car, but with less miles and a more traditional "one owner from new" scenario - I have found this to be the case in most Audi dealerships.

I would really appreciate some advice - this car hunting is driving me crazy.

Edited by mike1976 on 11/05/2011 at 14:41

Lots of miles in a short space of time = bad? - ddr

Buy a cheaper car, and that leaves you enough left over to pay for any repairs that might be needed.

I wouldn't buy a car that did 18k in two months, you can bet it wasn't serviced during those months.

Lots of miles in a short space of time = bad? - unthrottled

then in the space of 18 days it did just over 10,000 miles!

This barely seems plausible. Perhaps the dates on the paperwork have been muddled. In general, high annual mileage is far preferental than old cars with low annual mileage. Taxis and lorries clock up staggeringly high mileages with surprisingly few problems. It's the cars that cover 5000 miles pa or fewer that often present the greatest reliability problems because the owners often refuse to maintain them since they assume that if it is not covering miles, then nothing will go wrong.

Lease cars often cover mainly motorway miles, with experienced drivers and are properly serviced at the correct intervals. There is a train of thought that says that lease cars are hammered because the drivers do not own them and hence are not bothered about the long term wear and tear. However once the new car novelty has worn off, they are usualy driven far more sedately.

In short, they can be good value for money-just check that the driver's seat hasn't started to sag! (seriously)

then in the space of 18 days it did just over 10,000 miles!

This barely seems plausible. Perhaps the dates on the paperwork have been muddled.

Hmm - I think your right and I have been interpreting the history / milage incorrectly.

I looked again, and If you take out the DVLA entries (which throw the milage off) it seems more reasonable?

I have scanned the document in:
Car History

Edited by mike1976 on 11/05/2011 at 15:33

Lots of miles in a short space of time = bad? - Bobbin Threadbare

I would also be wary of this kind of vehicle - really low mileage doesn't always mean a good car as they don't get used (e.g. water builds up in the exhaust and rusts it).

Someone thrashing the hell out of it for a month also won't do a car any good.

I'd keep an eye out for ex-Motability vehicles. I had a lovely ex-Motability Ford Focus (first car..sigh!) that was immaculate when I got it - low mileage, excellent servicing, low wear. Alas I had to hammer the poor thing to 90k and part ex it for a commuting cruiser. C'est la vie.

Lots of miles in a short space of time = bad? - injection doc

well i had several company cars and did very high mileages in short period but never thrashed them, they just spent lot of time travelling the country ! I did 16000 miles in the first month of ownership with an E class merc, thats only 4000 miles a week. It barley had a chance to cool down. In 3 years the Passats had done over 120K and they were very reliable, but how reliable they stay once the mileage slows down is another matter !

Lots of miles in a short space of time = bad? - Bobbin Threadbare

Yeah, I also do high mileage in a short time period. I was meaning an overall approach - the bodywork might not look nearly as nice if someone has done 5000 miles in a month with all the flaming potholes and chippings we have to suffer nowadays!

Lots of miles in a short space of time = bad? - unthrottled

Yes, but a high annual mileage cars tend to cover the majority of their miles on motorways where there (shouldn't!) be pot holes or chippings. It's the low mileage cars that live on poor quality roads. There's nothing that would endear a low mileage car to me-let alone paying a premium for the privilege. Watching an elderly person using 3000RPM to manoeuvre their car out of a parking space and then riding the clutch for 100 yards down the road is enough to dispel the low mileage=low wear myth.

Lots of miles in a short space of time = bad? - Roly93

Bought several ex-hire cars with say 12K over 8 months, always been very happy.

I wouldn't sa 60K over 3 years was a lot of miles in a short space of time myself. I have seen a lot of cars do this in unedr 18 months, either way as long as the oil change record looks kosher I wouldn't worry as this is everything on a car like this. I have a nice diesle A4 Avant I am selling with 56K over 4 years, I have owned it from new if you're interested !!

Lots of miles in a short space of time = bad? - Graham567

Surely with a budget of £10,000,you can be looking at small brand new cars or cars only 1 year old with less than 5000 on the clock.Pre-reg cars also save a small fortune and you are getting a brand new car for a massive discount(i saved £9000 on a Mondeo over list and it only had delivery miles on it)

Lots of miles in a short space of time = bad? - SteveLee

2010 Hyundia i30 (roomy 5dr hatch) 16,500 miles, still has 5.5-6 years of warranty left £6,799 - why anyone would pay over the odds for an Audi or VW badge I do not know...

www.cargiant.co.uk/Hyundai/details-505563-Hyundai....0

Lots of miles in a short space of time = bad? - Dutchie

Could be the batch Steve,nice car the Hyunda i30 .

I remember years ago i bought a secondhand Lada.One of my lads hated it .I used to take him to Rugby training.One of the other trainers had a Ford Seirra and he backed into the Lada.He had a lot more damage than my car hardly a scratch.

The Lada had its uses.:)

Ii have never driven a Hyundai i30. But would be happy to try it.

The reason I was looking for an A3 is simply becasue I drove a load of cars that I liked the look of, and picked the one I liked best. I don't understand the hatred - if they were that bad wouldn't they have gone bust? I have some friends who have them and they realy enjoy driving them.

I have admitted I know little about motoring, so I am open to suggestion 100%

So, what is it about the Hyundai that is so much better?

Lots of miles in a short space of time = bad? - Roly93

2010 Hyundia i30 (roomy 5dr hatch) 16,500 miles, still has 5.5-6 years of warranty left £6,799 - why anyone would pay over the odds for an Audi or VW badge I do not know...

Using this logic you could say why doesnt everyone walk around wearing clothes made ouit of sackcloth, and shoes made of laquered cardboard !! If all you truly want is a tin box runabout and have absolutely no interest in cars then fair enough, but some people want something with a bit more style.

Lots of miles in a short space of time = bad? - Dutchie

I thought they where all tin boxes Roly?

horses for courses,style is in the eye of the beholder.

Nout wrong with a sackcloth or cardboard shoes.:)

Lots of miles in a short space of time = bad? - davmal
Audis, of course, are teutonically hand assembled by Valkyrie-like technicians dressed in gowns of woven thistle down, they will be time served craftspersons and incapable of of anythting less than 100% commitment, apart from the ones assembled in India, Slovakia, China, Brazil, Hungary, Russia and Ukraine, but i'm sure they're just as good.