Rover 420GSi - Rover 420 - 'rough' running - Pilotman

I have a 2-litre petrol Rover 420GSI, 12 years old, done 46500 miles. For last few months car only used once or twice a week for fairly short journeys.

Suddenly the engine has started running 'rough' intermittently when accelerating. Get the car out, set off thru' town, every time I accelerate it 'hiccups', shudders, jerks (sometimes with knocks/rattles) then goes OK. Out on the open road going above 30mph then usually OK - slow down/speed up no problem - but if I have to slow down for roadworks, speed-limit etc then the problem usually (but not always) returns.

Only solution in town or slow-moving traffic seems to be to run at higher revs and in lower gear than normal, and accelerate very slowly. Car seems to idle OK when stationary - just the usual noises for its age. Any ideas as to possible area of problem please before I have to take it to garage for investigation??? I daren't risk driving it any more as I'm unsure what damage I might be causing......:-(

(This may not be relevant, but.... Recently a heater hose came adrift and I lost coolant. Garage drained and refilled, but didn't get rid of all the air-locks, so I've had to top-up a couple of times since then. However coolant levels seem OK now.)

Rover 420GSi - Rover 420 - 'rough' running - unthrottled

High load/low RPM misfire could well be failing coil packs. I suspect it's a semi-sequential ignition system with wasted spark set-up. Does the problem appear to get worse as the car warms up from cold?

>>>"High load/low RPM misfire could well be failing coil packs. I suspect it's a semi-sequential ignition system with wasted spark set-up"

Hmmm....is that likely to be expensive? By coincidence, I've just started to think about buying a new car later this year, so I was hoping to keep the Rover going at minimal extra cost for a few more months yet :-)

>>>"Does the problem appear to get worse as the car warms up from cold?"

If anything, I would say the opposite. Initially at cold it can be quite bad, but it seems a little better once the engine has warmed up.

It came on very suddenly - I took the car out one morning last week and the problem started. I wondered at first if it might be just dirty petrol and/or some sort of fuel line blockage, but would not that affect the general standard of running all the time?

The twin coil packs (ie the ones that supply 2 cylinders as opposd to one per cylinder) are about £50 each from a motor factor. The problem is determining if they are bad. I spent a while trying to fix what I thought was an ignition problem. The multimeter doesn't help. I took a coil pack that was known to be bad and took resistance readings-they were normal. Coil packs can start to arc under high load/low RPM conditions because that is when the voltage required for the spark to be created is highest and the insulation is most likely to break down.

It's a bit of a let's-try-this-and-see-if-it-works diagnosis I'm afraid. The symptoms aren't unambiguous. Ild be one of several things I'm afraid.

Another possible clue.......????

I mentioned about a heater hose which came adrift - this was at a connection to a pipe near the No 4 cylinder end of the engine. The old anti-freeze was green, but it was refilled by the garage with pink. I set out today to check the spark plugs, but found that they were inset too deep in the top of the engine for my plug spanner to reach :-( However - I found that the 'well' surrounding the No 4 plug was part full of green coolant! Clearly from the colour that is left over from the old coolant leak, not something new, tho' I would have expected that to have evaporated by now from the heat of the engine. I've cleaned it all out and also the end of the HT lead. Before I try the engine again, might that have a bearing on the problem? I'm very loathe to keep taking the car out for trial runs, in case all this apparent mis-firing is causing more damage.

It's entirely possible that the ingress of coolant could create a short circuit-which would lead to misfire. I would give it a test run. You're wise to be wary of driving a car with a misfire problem-it can ruin the catalytic converter. But a short run shouldn't do any harm.

I'm just puzzled that it ran for about 160 miles after the coolant leak before the problem appeared.....

Checking around the engine for possible loose/damaged cables, pipes etc, I noticed that underneath and behind the throttle is a cone-shaped item (see picture at LINK), attached to the throttle by a very loose piston-like linkage - what is this please? Coming out the rear of it is a pipe which is quite a loose push-fit (no securing clip etc), which goes off to something near the front underneath the battery area, but no idea what :-( Is this likely to be a possible suspect ?

Rover 420GSi - Rover 420 - 'rough' running - SteveLee

Looks like a cruise control actuator.

Hmmm.....since posting my last message I've been told that it is probably the vacuum advance/retard mechanism. However, I was also told that the pipe coming out of the back of it should be connected to the inlet manifold, when clearly it is not.

The linkage from the throttle into the 'cone' is very light-weight (plastic?) - see the reddish-brown bar running from front to back in the picture. Also, it feels as if it is not connected to anything inside the cone, just free to move about. When the accelerator is depressed this bar moves into the cone. If it were cruise control, so it not be capable of being pulled in by the cone mechanism in order to increase the throttle when necessary?