Renault Laguna III "ltr Diesel Auto - Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - Craxy Harry

Saw this topic but could not find a recent post.

Anyone got any ideas if the diesel fuels above are any better than ordinary diesel fuels ?

Renault Laguna III "ltr Diesel Auto - Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - Duncan112

For what it's worth I do around 600 motorway miles a week in my Diesel VRS Estate on mainly Shell fuel save and get 50 ~ 54 mpg, the odd time I have used V Power I have found no discernable improvement - I have tried (through running low on fuel) Tesco Asda and Sainsbury's fuel and (this is being kind) found they did not suit the car at all, economy dropping 7 to 10% and the car feeling generally sluggish.

Morrisons fuel isn't bad, and sometimes as good as the Shell stuff - generally getting 50 ~ 52 mpg on that.

Adding cetane boosters to the supermarket fuel makes no difference!!

Of course driving style will have a deal to do with this - all I can suighgest is you try different fuels for a couple of tank fuls and post your results.

Renault Laguna III "ltr Diesel Auto - Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - OldSkoOL

I found v-power made a 1-2mpg difference in a toyota diesel i had. Fairly quick 180bhp model that was very sensitive to mpg. It never made it's claimed 45mpg, normally around 38-41.

My current car, it makes no obvious difference to mpg, a bmw 335d, this seems to get over the claimed mpg of 38mpg, it gets around 42-44mpg on the same journey as the toyota. I also use shell fuel save, by far the best fuel available for the money.

The average cetane rating is actually higher for fuel save. Basically meaning the quality of combustion is better, which is quite important in modern diesels.

Vpower is a GTL mix fuel. In my previous diesel, the t180 toyota, it revved to around 3.8k and died, but on v-power it definatly felt more alive past this point, maybe to 4.2k. It also felt a little more alive in the mid range but between 1.5k and 2k which i spent most of my time it didn't feel any different if anything maybe slightly less punch. In my 335d i can't really tell any difference, it revs to 5k on both fuels and feels as quick with each. It's also worth bearing in mind i don't think fuel save was about when i had my toyota.

Vpower is claimed to have some additional detergents to help remove deposits. I would be very suprised if these deposits affected the operation of the car, injector spray petterns etc, in the ownership of the car or < 150k miles.

Fuel save is imo the best diesel you can buy.

Edited by OldSkoOL on 10/05/2011 at 00:36

Renault Laguna III "ltr Diesel Auto - Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - injection doc

I agree with the above comments and from personal experince different cars respond differently to different fuels !

One of my diesel jaguars could run on any brand diesel with no difference, but my 3rd one ran superbly on BP Ultimate and performance was noticeably increased and so was MPG. I dont get any difference on my freelander 2 but my wifes Fiesta 1.6TDCi suffers on Supermarket Diesel, with a big drop in MPG and performance. Over 3 years it constantly returns 54.7 running about on BP but drops to 48-49 on supermarket everytime and the responsivenes goes.

There again someone will be along in amin to say that it all conforms to EN590,

I can remeber a dealership bragging about how its workshops conformed to ISO9000 something or other, a few years back, but it was nothing more than a paper trail but the fitters ( Infact 10 trainees and 2 fully qualified techs ) were still the same bunch and their standard of work was appalling.

Renault Laguna III "ltr Diesel Auto - Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - unthrottled

Over 3 years it constantly returns 54.7 running about on BP but drops to 48-49 on supermarket everytime and the responsivenes goes

A 10% drop in economy is very significant. I'm sure BP would be delighted to hear your results. So delighted that they'll take a 1.6TDCI and ask an independant organisation to put it on a dyno and compare the BSFC and BTE on Ultimate-Chuck-Norris-Optimum fuel to supermarket swill-and publish the results. In fact you'd have thought they would have done that already...

The formulation of diesel, like petrol, varies throughout the year. The calorific value will also vary. Cetane number is poorly inderstood by the masses. Higher is not necessarily better. It will tend to give easier starting and quieter combustion, but more diffusion controlled combustion and greater soot formation. Much of the noise of a diesel isn't combustion 'knock' but simply the high pressure fuel pump and injectors-increasing the cetane rating won't alleviate that.

A low cetane rating will not decrease 'responsiveness' in itself-in fact it will raise EGTs and help spool the turbo faster.

Magnum mega fuels tend to perform better because the purchaser wants them to and subconsciously skews the 'experiment' to deliver the preconceived result.

It's even funnier when we get to spark ignition engines. Users start saying silly things like, 'you won't notice a difference in economy until you run 2-3 tankfuls through the engine' and the ECU 'learns' that it has different fuel in'. Or even better: "you won't notice an improvement in fuel economy in a low performance 1.2 but you will in a high performance 3.0 engine". Or how about: "My engine has a compression ratio of 11.24 whereas yours 'only' has a compression ratio of 9.86, therefore mine will benefit from high octane fuel and yours won't.'?

Riiiight. So an engine that is switched to run on lower octane fuel will sit there pinging away for 2-3 tankfuls before the ECU notices anything is amiss?

A 1.2 litre engine operating with the throttle almost wide open is far more prone to detonation than a big 3.0 loafing away with the throttle almost entirely closed.

Static compression means nothing. Factor in the inlet valve timing and you'll find most petrol engines fall somewhere into the 9s-regardless of advertised compression.

Virtually all of this obvious yet completely missed by readers of glossy car magazines.

Renault Laguna III "ltr Diesel Auto - Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - Roly93

Well in the last 6 years or so I have experimented with different fuels and additives all over the place, and have arrived at the following conclusions across 2 Audi diesels.

1) millers additives - saw no real difference except from being £10 a bottle worse off

2) Branded vs supermarket on a lot of occasions, it seemed that Sainsburys fuel gave better MPG than shell and a quieter engine.

3) The only real difference was winter diesel versus summer diesel, but part of this was the cold temperatures anyway.

4) Tried shell V-power and didn't notice any real difference apart from the price.

My bubble was burst a while ago on this topic to be honest.

Renault Laguna III "ltr Diesel Auto - Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - davmal
Increased performance and economy could be achieved by reducing internal friction, I recommend Xtra Lub and engine reconditioning fluid to seal up those gaps and provide a low friction finish to the engine internals.
Renault Laguna III "ltr Diesel Auto - Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - unthrottled

Increased performance and economy could be achieved by reducing internal friction

Indeed. That's why most OEMs stipulate 5W oils nowadays. This avenue is obvious and has been thoroughly explored. I have no idea what 'reconditioning fluid' is. Internal wear in a properly adjusted engine should be minimal. If the rings or main bearings are worn, a cheap 20W-50 will act as a band-aid to "seal up the gaps" for a short while.

Renault Laguna III "ltr Diesel Auto - Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - davmal
reconditioning fluid has been promoterd on this forum, apparently it causes:

"Regeneration with the use of ceramizer® means restoration of nominal dimensions and correct geometry of contacting surfaces in mechanisms where friction occurs by creating a ceramic - metal layer with unique properties."

Whereas Extralub ZX1:
Virtually eliminates friction
· Consistently improves fuel economy
· Reduced exhaust emissions
· Impregnates all wearing surfaces
· Excellent cold star protection and anti-wear performance
· Superb high temperature and turbo protection
· Protects immediately
· Protects for up to 25,000 miles
· Compatible with Catalytic Converters
· Completely universal with all oil including synthetics

Don't get trampled in the rush!
Renault Laguna III "ltr Diesel Auto - Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - Dutchie

Interesting so what is the answer untrottled ?

I use BP ultimate in a TDCI engine.Not to save on fuel but a higher quality fuel for the engine on short runs.

If this is a waste of money I fill up with the standard diesel and go from there.

Look, I'm not saying the premium price fuels are bad. I'm just can't see how the premium price fuels help improve engine life. Back in the bad old days, cheaper fuels (petrol and diesel) had higher sulphur levels than the premim brands. The sulphur COULD cause problems because it could form sulphurous acid which could attack aluminium alloys (esp Nikasil). It also contributed to soot production. Some of the cheaper US gas gained a reputation for causing injectors to gum up with varnish. But now, the properties of fuels are much more strictly regulated.

That said, the cost of fuel is low compared to the duty and tax-so it could be argued that at least with premium price fuels a higher proportion of the forecourt price goes on the product. I just like to know what I'm paying for.

Renault Laguna III "ltr Diesel Auto - Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - Duncan112

It would be interesting to compare the state of the turbocharger nozzle ring (particularly one with variable geometry) on an engine that had been run exclusively on "premium" fuels with one that had been run on Tesco's finest after say 75 000 miles.

Are any figures available for ash and Conradson Carbon Residue for road fuels?

The generic limits of EN590:

100ppm ash

3000ppm Carbon residue

The ash content is a concern for particulate traps since obviously it doesn't burn off. Coking of turbo nozzles is a concern if the EGTs never get high enough-but that's usually due to buyers' eyes being larger than their wallets!

Tesco are plugging a premium petrol: momentum 99. Have a read of the test report for some junk science...

Renault Laguna III "ltr Diesel Auto - Shell V-power verses BP Ultimate - craig-pd130

Like Roly93's post above, over the years I have tried pretty much everything in my Passat PD130 and new Mondeo 2.0 TDCi, from Shell Diesel Extra, FuelSave, V-Power, BP Ultimate, Esso Energy, to supermarket fuel.

Also additives including Stanadyne, Millers and a super Cerium-based catalyst and ....... none made ANY measurable difference to performance or economy. Certainly no difference that couldn't be explained by ambient temps or driving mix.

Sure, I thought I felt a difference in performance or throttle response or smoothness, but the calculator and stopwatch said no.

Now I just use whichever fuel is cheapest (Shell or Tesco, if I had a 5p- off voucher) and give the car a weekly blast through the gears to clear the soot :)

I believe the cleanliness of a filling station's storage tanks and pumps (i.e. if there are contaminants or water in the fuel when it's stored) will make a bigger difference to a car's overall running than exactly which brand you choose.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 11/05/2011 at 11:34

...if there are contaminants or water in the fuel when it's stored...

Good point. Not to mention the length of time the fuel has spent in the tanks. The regular stuff has a definite advantage here as the turnover is much higher.