Landrover Freelander 2 - turbo failure. Warantee claim rejected - Phil of Cilcain
My wifes Freelander is nearly 3 years old and we have recently noticed a whistling noise from the turbo. The local LR dealer has diagnosed bearing failure in the turbo. LandRover have declined a warantee claim because their records show that before our ownership the vehicle had had petrol put into it's fuel tank. The car has done 28,000 miles, has a full service history and there have been no engine problems during the 18 months of my wife's ownership. Are Landrover justified in rejecting the warantee claim?
Landrover Freelander 2 - turbo failure. Warantee claim rejected - Collos25
No they are just trying to weasel out of their responsibilities.
Landrover Freelander 2 - turbo failure. Warantee claim rejected - unthrottled

I concur entirely. Obviously, Petrol can damage the fuel system (particularly the HP pump and injectors), but the turbo doesn't 'see' what fuel has been used. Ask the dealer to explain to you how misfuelling could damage the turbo. They appear to be using the misfuelling incident as an excuse to void the warranty on the entire engine, but they can only void the warranty on components directly affected by misfuelling.

Landrover Freelander 2 - turbo failure. Warantee claim rejected - mickyh7

I concur entirely. Obviously, Petrol can damage the fuel system (particularly the HP pump and injectors), but the turbo doesn't 'see' what fuel has been used. Ask the dealer to explain to you how misfuelling could damage the turbo. They appear to be using the misfuelling incident as an excuse to void the warranty on the entire engine, but they can only void the warranty on components directly affected by misfuelling.

I fail to see how they can void any part of the warranty,when the misfueling was done before the car was bought by the present owner ? The dealer was obviously aware !!!

Was the present owner told of this during the sale ?

In any case, as already stated,the Turbo uses exhaust gas,not a particular fuel !

Misfuelling does cause damage to certain engine components. It's quite right and proper that the warranty for these components is voided since the damage is not caused by design or manufacturing fault. Any changes to the vehicle's warranty status should be recorded in the vehicle's service log

Landrover Freelander 2 - turbo failure. Warantee claim rejected - mickyh7

Yes,but not by the new owner !

Landrover Freelander 2 - turbo failure. Warantee claim rejected - Robin the Technician

Hi,

I think they are trying to pull a fast one. Petrol entering the turbo will have NO effect on the failure of the bearings. They are fed separately with oil from the sump and an intercooler. What about the millions of petrol turbo cars out there? They don't have any special bearings for petrol engines only.......

You could get in touch with someone like Garrett Turbo's and ask their opinion - or even the AA . I think LR are shirking their responsibilities. Remember, keep shouting and creating to the Customer Service people. If you get no joy, escalate the issue with higher up managers. You are being fobbed off!!! Petrol in the diesel has not caused this failure.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician

Landrover Freelander 2 - turbo failure. Warantee claim rejected - injection doc

Robin is spot on and L/Rover are getting areputation for weaseling out of everything possible !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you buy from a dealer ? if so I think its time to visit the dealer and turn the presssure up !

I have the TSB from L/R over incorrect fuel fill.

Its very long but very detailed. If they carry out an authorized repair the warranty is not effected. It depends on whether the vehicle was run after incorrect fill and whether the customer authorized repair as per L/R recommendations.

Bewarned L/R customer services play real hard ball.

Service technical bulliten is

LTB00148 dated may 2008

Warranty may be declined if repair not carried out to landrover specifications and the warranty will be refused for any associated parts

ask your dealer for a copy. I have the whole PDF file but it wont copy and past but will glady send you the pdf if you arrabge contact.

The trouble is now days that if the road side services tow a car in or carry out fuel drain when its under warranty they report it to the manufacturer. Its always best to find a little indy to refill the car and clean

Warranty may be declined if repair not carried out to landrover specifications and the warranty will be refused for any associated parts.

They can't really argue that the turbo is an associated part though.

Landrover Freelander 2 - turbo failure. Warantee claim rejected - SteveLee

Associated? Not really, a turbo is hardly part of the fuelling circuit! I concur with the others above - LR are being dishonest by refusing your claim.

Write a sensible and polite letter putting your case. See if you can get backing from a suitably qualified professional.

Phil, have you managed to get a copy of the TSB ? and any progress with claim ?