VAG PD Diesels - David R
Can anyone explain to me the difference between the 115bhp and 130/150bhp versions? Are they mechanically diferent or is it just a difference in ECUs, ie chipped?

Ta

David
VAG PD Diesels - bertj
There are considerable differences between the 115bhp and 130/150bhp engines. They involve greater oil flow particularly to the engine top end, better cooling, altered turbo setup, replacement of some engine parts with different alloy materials plus considerable re-mapping of the ECU. Depending on the model of car there will also be differences in the transmission with stronger drive units and different bearings.
If anybody tells you that you can convert a 115bhp to higher outputs by just re-chipping they are probably right in the very short term but engine life will definitely suffer.
If I remember correctly there was an article in 'Volkswagen Driver' quite recently detailing the differences.
As an aside don't forget the insurance aspect - most insurance companies aren't keen on engine mods. If you modify a car and don't tell them your insurance could become invalid.
I drive a 130 bhp PDi Passat at the moment and certainly find it better than my previous 115 bhp Passat but most of the difference is down to the suspension changes from the older car.
I used to have a 110bhp Octavia and an older 90bhp Passat and I did enquire about chipping these but the consensus was always to leave well alone because there are so many subtle changes when VAG upgrade their motors.
Hope this helps.
VAG PD Diesels - TrevorP
The 115bhp and 130/150bhp engines are all PD developments from the "old" 110.

There is another (not that it would probably interest you),
which is the 100 (being the PD version of the old 90).

Having tested most of the sizes in most of the colours (sorry, cars), the 100 is certainly enough for the Polo - but certainly not for the Passat.

My personal favourite would be the 130. I felt the 150 has got more power at the expense of flexibility - the 150 appears to suffer more lag.
VAG PD Diesels - Jon Cunningham-Smith
I agree Trevor P, with flexibility difference between 130 PD and 150 PD, the 150 sounds pretty good because that Turbo is always gently hissing in the background> I thought it added to the sportiness somewhat.

That said, the 100 in the Skoda Fabia makes that some machine!

For an all rounder, I have always liked the 110 though.

I think you'll find that although there are engine diffrences between the power outputs, i think the gearboxes are also diffrent to cope with the extra torque. I seem to remember that with the present design gearbox for the 150, that the phenomenal 236 ftlb of torque is about the maximum the gearbox will handle.

Remember that most sports cars don't produce that much torque.

Cheers - Jon S
VAG PD Diesels - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I've got a 100bhp Passat Estate and the performance is not bad at all. I've done around 20,000 miles in the first year and have rarely wanted more power. The torque is great at around 197 foot pounds or pounds feet (maths is one of my week points)and even with the ESP, wheelspin in the damp can be provoked.
I simply did not want to spend the extra to get the 130 version and instead got a CD player and reversing sensor which are excellent.Economy has settled at around 46 mpg.
VAG PD Diesels - jud
Have you had it chipped? the old 110bhp version only gave 173pound feet.
VAG PD Diesels - MJRH
When these engines first appeared, I was reliably informed that the individual pump injectors on TDI PD engines have a design life of only 70-80k miles. This information came from a VAG main dealer who also told me the price for replacements is c.£400 each.
Anyone had any experience of this ?