bmw 3 series coupe 330d with 19 inch 230 alloys - Urgent advice please - lowlifeloser

Hello form memebers,

I thought I would register and ask for everyone's advice regarding the purchase of the above car (linked below).

http://www.chessvalley.co.uk/view_ve...1&vehicle=2425

After viewing it a couple of times on Tuesday and Wednesday and it look in great condition and felt fantastic to drive, I decided to put a £1000 securing deposit down with a view to completing the deal next Friday. Just for everyone’s info in the deal I asked for a few scuffs to be sorted out which included the refurbishment of all 4 alloys.

After doing some reading i have found that these alloys are prone to crack. I am getting really worried now and don’t or can’t afford to spend huge amounts of money replacing the alloys every year.

I’m just wondering if the 19 inch alloys in the 230 style are very prone to cracking or was it another style? It did pass its mot on the 30 of March.

What would you guys do if you where in my position? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advanced.

Edited by lowlifeloser on 29/04/2011 at 13:38

bmw 3 series coupe 330d with 19 inch 230 alloys - Urgent advice please - unthrottled

I am getting really worried now and don’t or can’t afford to spend huge amounts of money replacing the alloys every year.

I hate to be a wet blanket but you've just answered your own question. You can't really afford the car. Any car, regardless of reputation can develop expensive faults that manufacturers won't cover under warranty.

Most people fall into the trap of overspending on the car and not leaving enough for running it or shelling out for unforeseen repairs. From experience I can say that there is no pleasure in driving a car with the constant fear of a fault occurring for which I can't easily cover the cost.

It's much more fun to have a cheaper car and a nice buffer in the bank.

bmw 3 series coupe 330d with 19 inch 230 alloys - Urgent advice please - Graham567

If you pull out of the deal now you will lose your deposit.

If you find that the alloys are a problem then you could always change them for smaller ones.I am sure if you are spending £16,000 on a car then you can afford to sort the wheels.If can't afford to do anything about the wheels then, like the previous poster says, you shouldn't be buying the car.

Edited by Videodoctor on 29/04/2011 at 14:37

bmw 3 series coupe 330d with 19 inch 230 alloys - Urgent advice please - lowlifeloser

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate the responses.

I agree with the above post, my dilemma I do feel i can afford the car with enough for maintenance etc however it's like spending money knowing that the car is faulty. Like doing spending money on a house survey then pulling hot. £1000 lost is better then a money pit of alloys. It may be worth just saving myself the hassle and going for a similar car with smaller alloys and trying to get some of my money back.

Thank you guys

I was thinking of taking out a warrenty with warrenty wise:-

secure.warrantywise.co.uk/downloads/Warrantywise-P...f

above is the policy. On the face of it, it seems like a pretty comprehensive coverage also covering things like alloys and tyres.

Would anyone recomend them, or have used them in the past?

bmw 3 series coupe 330d with 19 inch 230 alloys - Urgent advice please - unthrottled

Check out page 18 for a comprehensive list of exclusions!

I have just checked this out unthrottled and it seems to be all standard stuff. Can you tell me which part specifically you where referring to? point 23 on page 18?

Look forward to your message.

Edited by lowlifeloser on 29/04/2011 at 16:27

Claim Limit: This Policy Addition is subject to a claim
limit of £1,000, including VAT, at the maximum rate of
£250 per alloy wheel, including VAT (or any other
amount specifically noted on Your Policy Schedule).

Excess: Nil. If You have selected a voluntary Excess it
will not apply to this Policy Addition.

Exclusions: Space saver wheels. Wheels damaged
due to off-road use, racing or rallying or wheels which
are corroded or porous, pressure sensing valves,
damage to stud holes and cosmetic damage. Any
claim against this Policy Addition within 30 days and
1,000 miles of the Policy Start Date.

The most likely damage to alloys is cosmetic and this isn't covered. Would £1000 buy a new set?

OldSkool's advice about having an extra set of wheels is good-but four big wheels with tyres take up a lot of space in the garage.

As an aside I wouldn't touch alloy wheels on principle. Aluminium is always used as a cost cutting exercise (it's cheap to cast, machine, and weld into fancy shapes) but it really has crap mechanical properties. Sadly, it is very hard to get decent steel wheels nowadays so there's little point lamenting it!

bmw 3 series coupe 330d with 19 inch 230 alloys - Urgent advice please - outlier

I was thinking of taking out a warrenty with warrenty wise:-

secure.warrantywise.co.uk/downloads/Warrantywise-P...f

above is the policy. On the face of it, it seems like a pretty comprehensive coverage also covering things like alloys and tyres.

My opinion the worst way to buy a warranty is to look at the list of "parts covered" and the price of those parts. This is exactly how warranties are promoted, I expect because it can be so misleading.

What you need to consider is what failure modes are covered/excluded and what are the most likely failure modes. What good is engine coverage if the timing belt snaps and that failure mode is not covered..? What if timing belt failure is covered but only if it snaps, not if it is thrown off because of ancilliary part like water pump or tensioner..? And of course it must have been changed as per manufacturers schedule, or more accurately you will need to be able to prove it has been changed. In the end you might find yourself only covered for 5% of the actual failure modes. Of course you might at least check if some expensive parts are not included (e.g. turbo, cat, etc).

I had home insurance which gives me coverage against flooding from the central heating, but this cover only applies if the system is 100% drained! In plain English it is not covered at all, so why can't the insurance company just say that.? Seems insurance is the most dishonestly sold product, I suspect even more than used cars!

Thank you for your message outlier, i defiantly agree the warranty/insurance market is a minefield. It may be better off too pocket the money and put it into a pot for repairs rather than buy warranty which never pays out.

bmw 3 series coupe 330d with 19 inch 230 alloys - Urgent advice please - Roly93

19" alloys, soon they will be delivering cars without tyres at all I would suspect !

I hope you have smooth roads where you live.

bmw 3 series coupe 330d with 19 inch 230 alloys - Urgent advice please - OldSkoOL
Don't worry about it, enjoy the car.

I have the 335d with those 19" wheels. They very rarely crack. If you hit a big pot hole at speed they might. Because of the low profile side of speed humps also can cause the cracking. Be aware and you should be fine.

Driving normally and you should be fine. It's the msport 225s that are problematic. They are a lot more likely to crack. A design BMW removed in 2009/10 but they didn't remove the 230s. Any low profile large wheel are prone. But the upside is the steering feel and handling is very direct and excellent.

I have a second set with winter tyres and also know that I can get a 230 off ebay for a reasonable price. It won't be a grand!

The servicing has been good so far. I had most things done in dec and it has worked out at £120 a year to service. I do about 10k miles a year and every 2 years I need a service costing about 220 - 250.

Edited by OldSkoOL on 29/04/2011 at 17:04

Thank you for your reassuring message old-school. I guess you’re right about the 230 not being as bad as they have removed the 225's and you can still buy the 230's on new models.

I will defiantly take a lot of care when going over speed bumps and looking out for pot holes.

How long have you had the 230's without them cracking? Would you recommend getting a set of 18's to replace them with or would you just buy a spare 230 and keep it in the garage as a backup?

I thought the servicing cost of these BMW's are very good.

Thanks for your message guys.

bmw 3 series coupe 330d with 19 inch 230 alloys - Urgent advice please - OldSkoOL

My 230's have been on the car since July 2007.

I wouldn't bother with a spare wheel / set just in case it cracks. Although it is quite a wise decision to buy a seperate set of alloys with winter tyres on. Then you can fall back on them to keep the car mobile whilst you look for a 230.

You will find the 19's (especially with runflats) quite useless in the snow. As are most BMWs on runflats.

Having said that, don't think the 230 will crack. They are just like any other low profile wheel. It was the 225 m-sport wheel that had a design flaw.

Word of warning, if you do decide on winter tyres/wheels (e.g. if you do a lot of miles and heavily rely on your car in winter), don't leave it too late. The stock of winter tyres goes by Oct/Nov and prices skyrocket. A good second hand set with good winter tread are quite rare but cost about £500-600. I know that sounds a lot BUT the cost of a summer tyre is around £250 each so you save on the wear of very expensive run flats. So it ofsets nicely, plus they are so in demand you recoupe your cost at resale. Also don't worry about the tyre prices, many of us swap to non runflats which are cheaper and better.

I would put the idea of the 230 going to crack out of your mind. They are BY FAR the best looking wheel for the coupe. I have them on my coupe and love them. Enjoy the car and just worry closer to the time whether you want a spare set or not. And the 230 cracks it will only really get picked up during an MOT. Some people do get them welded but many prefer not to. You could as a temporary solution if funds are difficult at the time. Nothing wrong going the ebay route providing you can check in person and ALWAYS use a good tyre fitter because some say the pressure and poor handling of some tyre removal machines can crack the alloy at the beading. You will get good advice on e90post UK section / forum. A lot of us there are car addicts / petrol heads and only do the very best for our cars.

Edited by OldSkoOL on 29/04/2011 at 18:40

Thank you very much oldskool, you've been of great help to me and someone whole sounds like they really know they're stuff.

I think your right as i have been reading horror stories about cracked alloys all day and your right mainly it’s been the 225 19 inch alloys. A lot of people on various forums are also stating that moving from rft to non rft tyres will be a good move also. What would be your opinion on that oldskool?

I can take comfort from the fact that the car above which i want to buy has had its MOT done on the 08/03/11 so got just over a year left. I am just wondering do they only get picked up at MOT or is there a sensor relating to tyre pressure in the car itself which could shows the problem? Your defiantly right, i could just go to a company specializing in alloy refurbishment and weld the hair line crack.

The car is due to go to the BMW showroom from the person who is selling the car to me on Tuesday, i am due to get a inspection from them and i could specifically ask them to check the alloys for signs of cracking (even tho the wheels have been sent for a refurb beforehand).

Thank you very much for your advice.

No problem

With regards to swapping to non runflats. The runflats have a very stiff sidewall, designed to take the weight of the car in the event of a puncture. Because the compound is much stiffer the energy doesn't dissapate through the rubber or compress the rubber as much when you hit a pothole. Therefore more of the impact is transfered into the alloy.

A non runflat is obviously more flexible and gives you slightly more protection from cracking. Just watch it trying to straighline speed humps. Bad idea as the 19's are like rubber bands and the edge of the alloy will hit the tarmac. It is generally only deep pot holes that cause problems and its generally when the inner edge of the alloy meets tarmac directly.

Your right on the sensor, there is a tyre monitoring system attached to the ABS sensor. There is no tyre pressure monitoring system TPMS, this doesn't exist on UK 3 series BMW's. So dont worry about having to get replacement valves etc. The ABS sensor monitors rolling circumferance for any pressure loss. It normally activates within 10psi drops. If you have a crack the tyre with leak air very slowly. If you refil, reset the monitor and it comes on a week or 2 later then you know you potentially have either a slow puncture (easy to check for nails) or a hairline crack, harder to see without removing the wheel.

Will be great to get check before handing over the cash. If anything is found they should replace anything found before the sale takes place.

The 330d is a very solid engine, excellent blend of economy and power, many of the owners run them well over 100k miles with no problems. Give it good fuel and continue with the servcing and you will really enjoy it.

Edited by OldSkoOL on 29/04/2011 at 19:33

Great advice, so you would be of the opinion of just keeping the rft rather than the non rft tyres as overall they offers more protection? I did read someone stating that it's only ever direct tarmac to alloy contact at speed which causes the damage rather than through the rft tyres and that the damage somehow only seems to occur on the rears rather than the front?

Exactly i think for peace of mind it will be the best bet to get BMW to check the condition of the car out and get something in writing from them, may cost a couple of hundred but will be well worth the peace of mind.

My intention was to only get the 320D but after driving the 330D i thought wow! How long do you think these can go on for in terms of miles if properly looked after?

Again really appreciate the time you've taken out to help me here.

I meant the opposite really, the non run flat tyres would give more protection if a crack occured from an impact and the non runflat compound would compress and take out / disperse some of the energy.

Run flats give you the security of puncture protection but so does a can of foam and a compressor, circa £26 - £30 (for 2 cans).

I know of a few people who have ran e9x diesel BMWs to 150-180k miles. 330d is the weapon of choice for high milers, plenty of owners touching 100k without issue. If it's an auto they are classed as maintance free but some choose to get the gearbox fluid redone around 120k if you plan to use it to well over 200k.

Turbos, fuel pumps and injectors generally fault free (unlike 320d and 335i). No known common faults on the 330d. Only thing is service, which i mentioned the cost and brakes. Potentially around £250-£300 per axel. BUT my 335d brakes will last till nearly 50k. I'm not there yet, rears due at 46k and fronts 53k. Rears tend to go quicker in the 335d because the brakes are used to control traction and the rears spin up easily.

Thanks, I may be tempted to go down that route once the rears go down, I believe the rears are 5mm and fronts are 8mm. Like you said foam and a compressor in the boot should do the job.

That’s another good things because according to the BMW dealer i called regarding this car they said brakes where done at 51k (fronts) pad and disc's. That was done at 51k and now 65k on the clock so look like they’ve got a little life in them still.

Was reading this forum:-

bbs.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/821914-second-h...l

Someone called Matteeboy said this:-

With the alloys - the worst are the SE 19" ones (five spoke), followed by the 19" M Sports then the 18" M Sports for cracking.

I guess this is very much an opinionated subject. However they've taken the 225 M sport out of the range of alloys they offer whilst keeping the 230's.

Also oldskool, the fact that the occur I’m going to get is 3.5 years old and 65k and fingers crossed have nor cracks stand me in good stead for the future? Or can they happen anytime?

The cracks can happen anytime but the fact that the car has done 65k shows that they don't spontainously crack.

You just have to watch for speed humps, large pot holes and use good tyre fitters.

From what i have heard most reports are about the 225 M-Sport alloys that even crack on 18's and i'm fairly sure i heard reports of 17's going too. This is an inherrent design flaw whether it is standalone or with run flats. The 230's have been reported to crack but i dont think they are a problem alloy. Audi have had problems with cracking 19" alloys, fewer cases but then again i dont think they use run flats.

When your tyres are due for a change, change them all to non run flats and this will give you added protection.

bmw 3 series coupe 330d with 19 inch 230 alloys - Urgent advice please - ForumNeedsModerating

Stiff suspension, low profile tyres, runflats. Well, you must want the car i suppose.

I do wonder why these cars are bought, when the owners than have anxieties over driving on the roads in them, and have to make sure their warranties covers broken wheels, turbos etc.

Is it really all worth it for the extra bit of grip & lateral G (and maybe kudos from similarly equipped drivers..) ?

For many road conditions we encounter these days, a more forgiving wheel/suspension set-up is better; and, A to B, not much slower or less exciting!

I can't think of any other diesel i would want to drive, in my case i have a 335d coupe.

I like quick cars with good chasis/handling. I'm not keen on hatchbacks. This time i wanted a diesel. The 335d is putting out 340bhp, excellent chasis, 41-44mpg daily, 47mpg on a run. <£200 p/a road tax but excellent performance.

Bar the diesel noise it is an awesome jack of all trades. The downside is the hard riding runflats. However, the don't bother me. Infact i like them in the repsect that they keep the car very flat when cornering. I've driven on normal rubber, i have winter tyres and the sidewall flex definatly alters the handling and grip, noticably.

The problem is, i can't get what i explained above in any other car. I switched to my 19" summers earlier this year and 2bh the difference between them and my 17" winters wasn't that great.

Edited by OldSkoOL on 07/05/2011 at 00:51