Red light Camera;Court proceedings; Advice please - Blackfoot

Hi - wonder if i can get some advice on the following.

I am being prosecuted for contravening a red light. The offence was 5.5 seconds into the red light at 20mph

I expected a FPN but instead have been told that the offence is too great for a FPN to be issued and that court proceedings will take place - I will be advised in due course.

Now while I intend to plead guilty by post, I want to know what I should put in mitigation.

The Facts

I was at a crossroads waiting to turn left. My lights turned green and I turned left.

As I turned left at the junction I went passed a single traffic light in the central reservation. This was obvioulsy the exit traffic light for the traffic coming the other way and was naturally red.

Around 15m further there was a further pair of traffic lights that were also red. My instant reaction was that these were also part of the exit cameras and I went through them. as I did the camera flashed.

I now realise that these second set of cameras, 15 metres after turning left, were an automated pedestrian crossing. (automated because on the other side of the carriageway they acted as the STOP sign for the crossroads)

So although these lights had been red for 5.5 seconds, I had actually only seen them after turning left, so only for a fraction of this time, and in addition was temporarily confused by the number of lights on, having just gone through green and facing red.

I am led to believe that I am not getting a FPN because of the length of time these lights were Red.

Having gone back to the junction I now realise one further thing. there was a no left turn signal where I turned left.

Why did i not see this? Well it was 10pm at night, I was in a strange city and I was following my damned Sat Nav directions - which told me to turn left!

I am a little worried about what might happen in Court. I really do not want to attend so if possible will plead guilty by post. (is this likely or will they force me to attend?)

Should I use any of the the above in mitigation as to why the length of time (5.5 seconds) was so great?

Or will I by doing so create a risk of making it worse with the potential for the offence being changed to one of driving without due care and attention?

I have been driving 25 years and have a currently clean license. My only previous offence was 35 in a 30 (dual carriageway) 10 years ago.

Thanks for any advice offered

Red light Camera;Court proceedings; Advice please - FP

First of all, my sympathies for the situation you're in - it's easy to be confused by a plethora of information in a strange town.

Someone better qualified (legally) than me may well wish to comment, but I would have thought that you would be on very dodgy ground if you pointed out that the reason you came so quickly upon the red light you contravened was that you made an illegal left turn and you would be digging an even deeper pit for yourself if you claimed that you were distracted by your satnav rather than observing the road signs.

I imagine the magistrates would take a dim view of either lapse.

The only mitigation you might be able to offer is that you were in a strange place and it was dark; your previous good driving record may help too.

As to whether attending court would be a good idea, I don't know. You need advice from DVD or Lucy about that.

Red light Camera;Court proceedings; Advice please - LucyBC

You are guilty of the offence so the only option is to enter a plea of guilty with mitigating arguments or make a "special reasons" argument as to why you did it. Special reasons would imply that it was imperative that you did so and that does not appear to be a real option.

I would strongly suggest that you attend court if you want to minimise the penalty. It will always count better with the magistrate if you make your arguments in person.

Red light Camera;Court proceedings; Advice please - dickthepostman
well I am sorry but you are Guilty of an absolute offence and it would be in your best interest to plead guilty at the first opportunity. By doing so you are entitled to a 30% 'discount' of any fine.

I would also suggest that you state that you are unfamiliar with the road layout.
that it was at night but nobody was hurt or hindered by your actions, and that you feel upset that your blemish free motoring now will be blighted.

Its all about damage limitation, Take the points and the pain on your chin
Red light Camera;Court proceedings; Advice please - Blackfoot

Thanks for the responses.

I am certainly not trying to avoid the charge. I know I am guilty. I am just trying to find the best way to explain how it occured and to highlight that I did not drive straight across oncoming traffic so this is not the actions of a reckless driver.

I really do not like the prospect of a court appearance. Do you therefore think it is likely that I will be able to plead guilty by post or will they want to see me in person?

Edited by Blackfoot on 03/05/2011 at 23:43

Red light Camera;Court proceedings; Advice please - Avant

"I am just trying to find the best way to explain how it occurred."

As Lucy says, the best way is to attend court in person. Be very careful to make your case both succinctly and unemotionally.

Red light Camera;Court proceedings; Advice please - FP

Man up, Blackfoot. Attend the court.

I was a member of the public supporting an individual charged with dangerous driving recently. A magistrates' court is not overly formal, nor especially intimidating, though I've no doubt there can be plenty of direct talking if required.

Get up there and face it - this is itself says something positive about you. Lucy is a lawyer and you've seen what she says. Your explanation of how you came to commit the offence will seem so much better if it comes straight from your mouth.

Red light Camera;Court proceedings; Advice please - concrete

Hello Blackfoot, sorry for your situation but you are just going to have to stand up and take the flak. Something similar happened to me in Sheffield a while ago. Late at night following my sat-nav trying to find my hotel. It seems the sat-nav takes over and we blindly follow the instruction instead of observing signs and signals. Anyway, the photograph proved I was guilty, even though no other traffic was around and no danger was caused. I went to court and said my piece and got a minimal fine. I put down in writing my case in 'bullet points' and refined them and rehea***d them until they sounded short and succinct and genuine. I didn't ramble on or deviate from the subject. I said I was lost in an unfamiliar city. It was dark and raining and visibilty was poor. I was following my sat-nav which I trusted, but it led me to take a incorrect turn. I was driving deliberately slowly because of the situation. I committed the offence before realising it. I have an excellent driving record of 42 years and I am really sorry to have taken the courts time with this inadvertant breach of the law and it will not happen again. This was accepted and I was thanked for attending to explain. Unfortunately it was an absolute offence so some sort of punishment had to be given. I think that had the magistrate had some discretion I might well have been discharged with a slap on the wrist. So, get it right, dress smartly,and follow the first rule of speaking- stand up, speak up then shut up. Best of luck. Concrete