trike - help with diffs please - alfatrike

i am looking at converting my bike to a trike and need to find an independant suspension setup with a diff with the input on the offside (righthand looking from behind).

ford sierra diffs appear to have a nearside input.

any ideas?

help muchly appreciated.

trike - help with diffs please - RT

The rear differential "handedness" is determined by the direction of engine rotation - in general Japanese engine rotate the "wrong" way so I guess you need a diff out of a Jap rwd car, eg Mazda MX-5

trike - help with diffs please - martint123

What is the reason for needing the input to be on the offisde?

Because that is where the output of the bike is or because of the direction of rotation of the driveshafts. You can usually change the offset by turning the diff over although the drain plug stops working ;)

Plenty of MX5 diffs about, but they are short and would need wishbones to keep the wheels on. Although, come to think of it, an MX5 rear subframe with diff, wishbones and everything except the spring/shock top mounts would work reasonably well??

it needs to be on the offside as that is the side the output is on the bike and i don't want to have to propshaft going sideways. i'll look at mx5 and see it they are suitable.

trike - help with diffs please - martint123

it needs to be on the offside as that is the side the output is on the bike and i don't want to have to propshaft going sideways. i'll look at mx5 and see it they are suitable.

The problem with the offset is that this determines which way the wheels turn. i.e. which side of the crownwheel the pinion runs against. You don't want to end up with 6 reverse gears!

What donor bike is it? I'm presuming a shaftie, so the offset ought to have been the same with the originonal rear end.

Most trikes I have seen use a solid back axle which must be easier to mount. You said you wanted independant suspension, which the mx5 has, but that adds to the complications of double-jointed driveshafts.and supporting the axles with wishbones.

all sorted now. i found a bloke selling a complete kit on ebay and the ford scorpio diff fitted has the input on the correct side and the rotation is correct. the bike is a moto guzzi california ev. several evenings with the spanners and welder are planned to get the job done.

many thanks for the help and i hope to post a picture when it is complete.