Bank holiday driving - jamie745

This afternoon i was driving down the dual carraigeway, in front of me was a Vauxhall Astra who forgets to look before they pull out, to the left of me is a driver in a Shogun on his phone, possibly talking to the guy behind him in a Mercedes C Class who was also on phone, quick glance in the rear view mirror sees a Corsa with a girl texting at the wheel, and all mixing in with foreign lorry drivers who still cant grasp we drive on the left.

Turn onto a different road and end up behind a Jaguar X Type estate with seven, count it seven bicycles attached to the vehicle, meaning behind him he can see f*** ALL!!!!!!!!!

So avoid the danger of him and then end up on another road where presumably the roundabout is for pure decoration.

Finally get to the supermarket and get held up by some pleb who thought the busiest day of the year was a good time to bring his Caravan to the Sainsbury car park.

This is why its supposed to rain on bank holiday, nobody wants to go out, you dont get these nutters with their surf boards haring up the A12 and everybody forgets how to drive when some sunshine comes out.

In town its even worse, pedestrians who were obviously never tought as a child to look both ways before walking into the road. Pedestrians who just wander into the road completely ignoring moving vehicles, children running into the road who should really be on some considerably strong piece of rope, or just left at home entirely. Then you end up in "shared space" areas after that, where "nobody has right of way" according to the town planner. What was wrong with having a road for cars and pavement for people? What was wrong with that? Surely blurring those lines is dangerous. I dont believe in blurring the line between road and pavement, thats an awful idea. You wouldnt go to a Safari park and have a Tigers and Pedestrians zone would you?

Its times like this that America's gun ownership laws make an awful lot of sense.

Dear god!

Edited by jamie745 on 22/04/2011 at 18:21

Bank holiday driving - Armstrong Sid

I think I've probably encountered most of them over the years, and I agree with your thoughts on them.

This weather also brings out one other category which you've missed - the "Thud thud thud" brigade who think everyone is going to be impressed with their hi-fi system. When you hear any poseur-mobile going down the road with its music blaring have you ever heard anything which you know and recognise? I've long had a belief that there are special CDs (and before that cassettes) which are purposely made for playing at stupid volume in public, which contain nothing that anyone has ever heard before.

If I ever hear someone driving down the street with a loud CD and they are playing something which i recognise, i will jump in the road to congratulate them.

Edited by Armstrong Sid on 22/04/2011 at 19:46

Yes i listened to one in town once for seven minutes and still failed to hear a third note. Just bom bom bom bom bom bom.

I heard one a few weeks ago, where out of nowhere there's the sound of the thud thud thud apocalypse, bearing down on an unwitting town, i turn around, and see the car in question.

a D reg rusty VW Polo.

Dear lord.

Bank holiday driving - RT

Only the very low bass notes can be amplified to very high level AND transmitted via the speakers - so all you hear is the thud-thud of the low frequencies.

Bank holiday driving - Armstrong Sid

Only the very low bass notes can be amplified to very high level AND transmitted via the speakers - so all you hear is the thud-thud of the low frequencies.

I know what you mean and I understand the technicalities of it. However, I reckon that there are actually CDs available which contain ONLY the bass parts of a track and have no treble on them at all - regardless of whether you can hear it in a car.

It's these special CDs which the red-light posers use to amaze us all

Bank holiday driving - SlidingPillar
I know what you mean and I understand the technicalities of it. However, I reckon that there are actually CDs available which contain ONLY the bass parts of a track and have no treble on them at all - regardless of whether you can hear it in a car.

It's these special CDs which the red-light posers use to amaze us

Search Google for Drum and Bass, such things do exist!

Bank holiday driving - bathtub tom

It's why they put on all those wonderful old films on bank holidays - just watched 'likely lads' - so you can stay at home.

Wait 'til you retire!

I couldnt care less about the technicals of why we hear the thud thud thud, the point is why do these shirtless slapheads think we all want to see them in their Ford Fiesta with a big wing on the back sitting there with the ground thudding as they rev the s*** out of the engine all day?

I very nearly caught one out as he raced across a zebra crossing without looking, cos they're usually not very bright, i was about three centimetres from a massive payout.

DAMN!!!!

Bank holiday driving - davmal

It seems that just about every other road user annoys you. Is it possible that the problem lies elsewhere, other than with them?

No the problem is with the brainless idiots out there. Stop trying to dress it up as being my problem, that just lets them off the hook.

Had enough of that tired argument. You could possibly argue i shouldnt let it annoy me so much but that doesnt change the fact that the vast majority of the people out there are idiots.

Edited by jamie745 on 23/04/2011 at 17:09

Bank holiday driving - PatrickO

Ahh but you sound experienced enough by now with the idiots to know you shouldn't get in the car on a bank holiday weekend. Forward planning.

I didnt go out for fun. I went out because i had things to do and that was the day on which i had to do them. If i couldve done it on Thursday i wouldve gladly done so. Unfortunatley we're not all teachers or civil servants and have a million days off a year, people like me will still have work to do on the royal wedding day also.

If anything going out through neccessity makes the problem worse. Im out just trying to get something done, and theres brainless idiots all out "having fun" who clearly do have all day.

tr
Bank holiday driving - injection doc
I agree with Jamie745! I have done a lot of travelling this weekend and I have never seen so many on the phones whilst driving and the general standard is appalling along with a few towing caravans that don't know how to drive and horse boxes doing 20-25 mph! God knows what's wrong with davmal comments !
Bank holiday driving - gordonbennet

Went out yesterday early to get some shopping done, a breeze...close enough to walk it but needed too much for carrying.

Took the old car out for a cruise today to drop something off, all the windows open (no B pillars) sunroof open, dog lolloping it ears in the breeze, never went above 50 and kept to country roads, lovely wifey dressed to please, could life be any better?

Work tomorrow and Monday...get that premium rate in.;)

One thing i wouldn't do though is go anywhere near the seaside or on any long journey's for pleasure on any bank hol, hell.

Good OP Jamie, how true.

Unfortunatley i happen to live in East Anglia and not a million miles from the coast either which is where all the invaders from inland like to flock to the moment the sun comes out lol. Im tempted to hold up a sign informing them that theres actually f*** all to see here LOL!

Any one recognise these quotes?

And it seems in the UK people have a psychotic hatrid of having to wait 2 seconds to get somewhere. So you get held up by a couple of minutes? Big deal. Unless you're emergency services you have no need to be in that much of a rush.

I just think people have an over inflated view of their own self importance that everybody else on the road is inferior to them. They believe their journey is the most important. When in reality most of them have very insigificant lives and it wouldnt matter if they were 3 minutes late, or if it did then they should take responsability and set off earlier.

Most drivers who abuse others are generally awful drivers i find, but all drivers believe its everybody else who is in the wrong.

Bank holiday driving - Ben 10

;-)

Bank holiday driving - ForumNeedsModerating

Know exactly where you're coming from 745. I usually pray for 'good' weather (i.e. raining) on bank holidays so all the chavs & numpties stay indoors in front of their plasmas with their screaming kids biting each others' ears off.

To be fair though, it's not only the chavs who pollute the roads up here (N.W.Wales coast) at holiday time - quite a few London rage-ists flying around the beach roads & country lanes going at 'I-must-get-the-commute-done-ASAP' speeds even though they're on R&R time.

I'll be taking the family out this Sunday afternoon - but will stick religiously to unknown backroads & away from anything with a 'to the beach' sign nearby.

Finally, special praise to the people of Betys-y-Coed (- a well liked venue for all & sundry bikists from Manchester to Shrewsbury over a bank holiday..) for their superhuman tolerance of the numerous MLC types who hate to have the air filled with anything other than Harley-Davidson thump-thump through unbaffled pipes - and I say that as a 'fellow' bikist too...

"Any one recognise these quotes?"

Thats totally different. Thats just picking out selective quotes instead of putting it in context. The context of those remarks was anger at how people beep and honk at learner drivers who arent as quick across the roundabout as experienced drivers because it held them up for two seconds. I do hate it when people pick out a snippet without putting it in context.

I wasnt angry due to being in a rush. As i wasnt in a rush. I was commenting on the poor driving of other road users, such as everybody on their phone etc. Driving of qualified licence holders who should know better, unlike my post which those selective quotes are from which was about drivers attitudes to learners.

And i dont see how i can be the one in the wrong for believing people shouldnt walk in front of moving vehicles.

Edited by jamie745 on 24/04/2011 at 16:41

Quote 1: nothing to do with learners really, you were just extolling the virtue of patience.

Quote 2; nothing to do with learners either, you were just advocating humility and perspective.

Quote 3: nothing to do with learners, you abused several drivers, and categories there of, on this forum, or doesn't that kind of abuse count?

You just don't seem very tolerant, humble or polite - but you'd like everyone else to be. Then there was this little beauty:

That staying in the outside lane then cutting across to exit on the slip annoys me so much ive actually been known to see it coming, when im on the inside, and actually speed up to force the w***er in his Range Rover to stay on the outside and have to wait until the next exit. I felt really good doing that LOL!!

Don't think your corralling a car on the carriageway matches up to the standards you expect of everyone else either. Does the act that I've abused you directly make it worse than your indirect abuse to the Range Rover driver?

Give me a car with bikes on anyday or a caravan on a supermarket carpark (unless it's a really, really big caravan, or a really, really small car park)

Edited by Avant on 25/04/2011 at 00:17

Bank holiday driving - daveyjp

I suggest OP you visit a well known on line bookstore and buy a copy of Roadcraft. Read chapter 1 - all about attitude - YOUR attitude. There is absolutely nothing you can do about other drivers unless you join the BIB then you can have a small effect.

Accept not everyone is as perfect as you - so perfect you deliberately put yourself in danger against 2+ tonnes of Range Rover - did you think you could 'win' - physics doesn't recognise 'right and wrong'!!

Learn to drive to accommodate others, let those who annoy you get in front and then you can keep an eye on them.

Bank holiday driving - Avant

Having been on the M25 today and seen far more examples of poor lane discipline than one would on a weekday, I have sympathy for Jamie's view. BUT Davey's advice is absolutely right and is worth following by all of us.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread: by all means have a spirited debate but please don't let it get personal, or out will come the virtual blue pencil.

Bank holiday driving - barney100

Every situation has a winner,I think I'll buy shares in a hearing aid company 'cos there will be lots of hard of hearing guys in the near future.

"In fact you sound like a bit of w***er"

Thanks. Appreciated :)

Oh and i know Im new here so forgive my ignorance but i have to ask....whats the blue pencil?

Edited by jamie745 on 25/04/2011 at 00:07

Bank holiday driving - Avant

As moderators (there are three of us) we have to ensure that the forum keeps within certain bounds (such as offensive remarks) without stifling debate if we can help it.

The 'blue pencil' is a common term for censorship - which I've applied to the post in which you were unnecessarily insulted.

By all means express your opinions, but don't be controversial for its own sake, or you risk being slapped down.

Bank holiday driving - jonewer

Was on the road yesterday, confirmed my long held belief that many people in rural areas think the line in the middle of the road marks the line you should be driving and should at all times be equidistant from nearside and offside wheels, particulalry when coming round blind corners on narrow country lanes at 90mph while texting with one hand and eating a cornish pasty with the other while shouting at the kids in the back.

If i was to ever have kids (please god dont punish me that badly, i beg of you) i'd duck tape their mouths and shove them in the boot.

Much safer for all involved. I wonder how many dings are caused by parent turning round shouting at child and not concentrating?