55 plate Nissan Almera - Glenn 42

How much would I get as a trade in on a 55 plate Nissan Almera 1.5S with only 37,000 miles on the clock, a full service history and finished in metallic silver? Downsides which could affect resale are non functioning air con and a considerable number of scratches and scuffs caused by being parked on the street.

55 plate Nissan Almera - unthrottled

£1500 would be a ballpark figure.

I know the local Nissan dealer is selling an 06 plate model for £ 4000, but it does appear the market for Almeras is on the floor as there is no direct replacement in the Nissan range and the cars were never fashionable.

£4000 is like the original price of a DFS sofa on Boxing day-no one will pay it. The car was never popular I'm afraid, and non functioning a/c and tatty bodywork further diminish the value Parkers say the following:

Private (good) £2180

Private (poor) £1435

p/ex £1700

Always look at net cost to change rather than 'how much do I get for my car?'. A dealer that offers over the market value for your car will make you pay over the odds for the replacement. The car may be worth more to you than to the open market.

I paid £ 5000 for it 28 months ago. I needed a decent car for work after a Hyundai I had went haywire and required £ 800 worth of repairs. Maybe two grand is the best I can hope for with the Almera. However, this could be more than if I took it to a non Nissan dealer that I'd never dealt with before.

As a car it hasn't been bad but this autumn a full service is due, then the road tax and then the MOT, so I am keen to avoid potentially big bills. However, there is nothing in the current Nissan range that I'm keen on- I like the look of the Qashqai but it's too big for what I need- and am considering something from the dealer's Suzuki range.

55 plate Nissan Almera - perro

I paid £8000 for my 05 Almera 1.8 SE auto 3.5 years ago, I recently checked out webuyanycar and they offered me a derisory £1800!

They aren't easy to shift it seems as I've seen a few cars on Autotrader that took my fancy and when I asked for an on-line valuation for the above, they didn't even bother to get back to me :)

I quite like the Almera though & reckon it's very underrated, I might even keep the critter!

55 plate Nissan Almera - bathtub tom

>>this autumn a full service is due, then the road tax and then the MOT

Every car needs taxing and regular servicing . A 6-year-old car with only 37K miles on it isn't likely to cost much at MOT time, other than expected items like tyres, wiper blades, bulbs. Spending a couple of hundred quid on it (including getting the A/C re-gassed) could be a very cheap option.

Quite. Never change a car on the premise of saving money. The car's market value is the highest firm offer you receive-not what you think it ought to be.

55 plate Nissan Almera - pyruse

If you are worried about expenditure, keep your current car - it will be much cheaper than replacing it. Just get the aircon regassed and get it serviced.

55 plate Nissan Almera - Sam49

I agree. My 2000 Almera's done 114,000 miles with very few problems - look after it properly and it'll keep going...

55 plate Nissan Almera - primeradriver

All sounding very hopeful for when I replace the Space Star :)

I like reliable cars that are worth nowt!

I am considering changing the car this summer as it will continue to decline in value and should something major go wrong with it, then the repairs could be as much as the value of the car. I think I will pay the dealer a visit this weekend and see how much the Almera would be worth as a trade in. They do have several Micras aged 18-24 months old on offer for £ 6995. Even though I'm not the new range's biggest fan, I have driven a 1.2 Micra as a courtesy car and was impressed with the performance and the economy.

55 plate Nissan Almera - primeradriver

I am considering changing the car this summer as it will continue to decline in value and should something major go wrong with it, then the repairs could be as much as the value of the car.

Faulty logic. If you own a car worth £6000, and you get a bill for £2000, you lose £2000. If you own a £1000 car and you get a bill for £2000, you lose about £700 -- the value of the car minus the value when it's knackered.

Having a car that isn't worth much is an advantage, not a noose around your neck.

Primeradriver-There's no point applying logic . The original question is a roundabout way of saying that the OP wants a new car and doesn't like the cost of the (unnecessary) change. I've tried many times to explain the economics of new car vs current car and the point never hits home.