Buy car and export it straight away? - dagva

Hi,

Im going to buy a car and wanna export to abroad. Need to undestand few thing on V5C( logbook).

Q1. If I buy a car from a private seller to export it then Do I have to take the car on my name first or not?. In this case obviously I have to wait my new logbook from DVLA upto 4 weeks. Waste of time!!!! cos I wanna export it ASAP.

Q2. OR Do we fill V5C/4 ( permanent export ) of the sellers logbook and send it to DVLA? In this case I will have rest of the logbook which is still on old keeper's name. Im not sure is it the way a car export works ? What does DVLA send to me in this case?

Q3. If I buy a car from a motor trader then which above option I have to choose ? Some motor trader car's log book is still on old keeper's name not the traders name?

Quite complicated. Help me please

DG

Edited by dagva on 10/04/2011 at 22:31

Buy car and export it straight away? - Mike H
I exported my UK-registered car to Austria last year, I can help a little with your questions.

The permanent export section of the V5C needs to be sent to DVLA, who in my case sat on it for ages and then asked me to fax over a covering letter confirming it. I didn't receive a letter confirming it had been done, but I did ask the person I spoke to at that time to send me an email confirming it had been processed, so I don't think you would expect a confirmation letter.

The key point is, AFAIK, all this does is take it out of the UK system with respect to road tax and MOT requirements, and flags it as "permanently exported". When you get to the registering country, you may need the V5C as proof of ownership - I don't believe I produced it in Austria although I can't remember. I suggest you contact the authorities in the country you are exporting to, to check whether you need the actual V5C when you re-register it there.

So there are two different issues here - registering it in your name and permanently exporting it. The point is, you can notify DVLA of permanent export at any time - I had my car in Austria on UK plates for 7 months before I sent the V5C/4 back to the UK. If I were you, I would simply re-register it in my name, then take the car abroad - technically, you should wait until you get the new V5C, but I have never been asked to produce my UK registration document in 32 years of driving abroad, so you could take a chance and travel on the new owner slip. Don't forget you will also need to insure it in the UK. You can then re-register it in the destination country at your leisure, although it is still liable for UK tax and MOT (with the appropriate fines if you don't have them) until you notify them of permanent export. Technically, you could register it in both countries, but then it becomes liable to any local MOT/tax requirements as soon as you register it.

HTH
Buy car and export it straight away? - dagva

cheers mate,

I completely understand if I get the car in my name then theres no problem to export it. But waiting the logbook is a big problem. I may get the logbook upto 4 weeks. Its complete waste of time! I want 2 cars to export to abroad. waiting two cars logbook in my name is more waste of time.

Question is just having new keeper slip is enough to export the cars to abroad without waiting logbook from DVLA? The cars will actually be shipped using container not just leaving UK by road. I called few shipping company but all says different thing!!!!

cheers again,

Edited by dagva on 11/04/2011 at 11:35

Buy car and export it straight away? - Mike H

Question is just having new keeper slip is enough to export the cars to abroad without waiting logbook from DVLA? The cars will actually be shipped using container not just leaving UK by road. I called few shipping company but all says different thing!!!!

Can't answer that. As I said, if you were driving them abroad, you could take a chance with the new owner slip. If you are going to freight it out, you are unfortunately at the mercy of the carriage company - if they want it before they'll accept it, you're stuck with their decision. Bear in mind also that a V5C isn't a certificate of ownership, perhaps they would accept a receipt proving that you had purchased the vehicle as proof of ownership?

But you may still need to get the full V5C in your posession before you can re-reregister it in the destination country. And you need a UK address for the V5C.

Buy car and export it straight away? - Rahat John

Try Export A Car From UK Ltd, they can help you. 00448458622050 or info@exportcarfromuk.com
www.exportcarfromuk.com
That's what I used to import my car from UK to Pakistan