Ford Transit Connect - Van only starts on easy start - speedyxjs
My dad has a ford transit connect which after having had various oil leaks caused by a bad engine change (FWI national engines dont use new gaskets) fixed, i took the van on a 10 mile drive to make sure everything was ok which it was but after a few times it has trouble starting and will now only start on easy start. When started, it runs and drives fine but it just will not start on its own. Air and fuel filters have all been changed and oil and oil filter is all newish and i have also replaced the crank sensor but the problem is still there.

I have now run out of idea's so thought id post the question here.
Ford Transit Connect - Van only starts on easy start - Cymrogwyllt

It sounds as if the engine is well below par. Bad valve seating or bore/ring wear are possibilities. Not using new gaskets is a no no. Beware that using easy start on a regular basis will wash oil off the cylinder walls and cause further wear.

A short term, if risky, alternative is to remove the air filter and cut a hole in the top of the housing to allow the insertion of a lit blowtorch to heat the manifold. Seen it done on a poorly engine and it kept it going for quite a while. Do NOT attempt that if it's a plastic air filter holder or pipework( Just covering myself in case an idiot tries it)

Ford Transit Connect - Van only starts on easy start - Avant

Moved to Technical.

Ford Transit Connect - Van only starts on easy start - Peter D

This could be a faulty temperature sensor and the cold start choke is not being demanded. You need a fault code read. Regards Peter

No codes come up at all. Surely if it were low on compression, it wouldn't start or run at all???

Ford Transit Connect - Van only starts on easy start - turbo0608

hi is it tdci?

Yes
Ford Transit Connect - Van only starts on easy start - piston power

Have you checked the glow plugs work? im presumming it has them.!!

Next have you got good compression?

Plugs take them out see if they glow, 1 or 2 burnt out will be a pig to start.

Havn't checked the glow plugs as the van wouldn't start when i switched it off after a 30 minute drive. I am waiting for a compression tester which will hopefully come either today or tomorrow.
Ford Transit Connect - Van only starts on easy start - piston power

The glow plugs is the first and easy thing to check if these don't work it wont start.

Compression test is a good check as it also gives a good idea of wear to your engine in any event.

My new compression tester came yesterday so will get on that later today and report back
Ok, the numbers are in.

Cylinder
1 - 25
2 - 27
3 - 24
4 - 26

This all looks ok to me. I have ordered a new set of glow plugs so will see how that goes

Edited by speedyxjs on 13/04/2011 at 10:59

New glow plugs fitten but still wont start :(
Ford Transit Connect - Van only starts on easy start - unthrottled

Next place to try is to check the fuel pump rail pressure under cranking conditions. If the fuel pump has a clogged filter or is admitting air it won't make sufficient pressure for the injectors to atomise the fuel properly. Does the engine idle ok when it does fire?

Yep, idles, runs and drives fine.

Ford Transit Connect - Van only starts on easy start - unthrottled
Thought it might. If a DI diesel loses compression it'll idle badly with one or more cylinders misfiring until it warms up. The problem almost certainly lies n the fuel pump (hopefully not the pump itself). It isn't building pressure sufficient pressure at cranking speed.