Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - justadriver

I see in HJ's news that to replace the turbos on the disco the body has to be removed from the chassis. Nice to know some of the old engineers slipped through the net to give owners nightmares when a turbo fails, AND if the manufacturer, (bless them) decides it's not warranty due to some reason how many extra hours at Land Rovers extortionate main dealer hourly rates will that cost? Doooooohhhh.. Renind me not to buy one. I had thought of getting one for winter but back to the korean offers.

Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - RT

Apparently the body has to come off for Discovery 3/4 engine and/or transmission replacement as well as turbo replacement on the 3.0 as in HJ news.

I've heard it's body off to replace the cambelt on the 2.7 but can't verify that.

Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - justadriver

Is it me or did I also read that some french cars need an engine out for a cambelt change as well. How can this be justified in engineering terms? Not to say all those ordinary cars driven by 1000's that require crazy amounts of time to do even simple tasks, like removing the entire rear suspension subframe to replace a fuel tank etc etc.......

Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - gordonbennet

Maybe slipping that extra oil change in and (unfashionable in current thinking) letting the turbo warm and cool properly might be prudent policy.

Other than that, same as always, so long as people are prepared to invest their hard earned in such vehicles the maker has no reason to change.

Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - bonzo dog

so long as people are prepared to invest their hard earned in such vehicles the maker has no reason to change.

Spot On

Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - craig-pd130

I seem to remember the factory procedure for a cambelt change on the Fiat Coupe 20V turbos was engine out, although it is just possible to do it with the engine in, I'm told.

Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - davmal
Are you suggesting that a proper engineer, with a degree and stuff, could possibly make a mistake?
Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - injection doc

"although it is just possible to do it with the engine in, I'm told."

Quite correct, have done a few this way.

may be some one will find a dodge for the Disco as well

Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - Victorbox

I remember being shocked to see a 1990's Audi A4 with its whole front end off including headlights for a cambelt change. It looked like it had been in a major front end crash. Google Images seems to suggest this is not uncommon with Audi's.

Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - TeeCee

I remember being shocked to see a 1990's Audi A4 with its whole front end off including headlights for a cambelt change. It looked like it had been in a major front end crash. Google Images seems to suggest this is not uncommon with Audi's.

That may look worse than it is, removing the placcy front end from a modern car doesn't leave much. I changed a headlight on the Zafira a few months ago, which entailed removing the plastic bits. That also looked like it had just been in a catastrophic front-ender while apart, but it only took about 20 minutes to get it to that state (three clips, half a dozen or so screws, a couple of wiring plugs and pull) and the same to reassemble after swapping the light.

Like all these things, it's all about whether it was designed to be easily removed for access or not.....

Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - TheOilBurner

Exactly. I took the entire front end off our Zafira last week to repair some damage to the inner front wing. It took me about 20 minutes too. Not difficult at all. I could probably do it in less than 10 minutes with practice.

Same goes for the Disco. I bet all that is involved is uncliping a handful of wiring connectors, undoing the bolts that bind body to chassis (maybe unhook exhaust and fuel tank?) and then winching the body upwards. Probably takes less than 60 minutes for a LR dealer to do this. Most things will be either fixed to the body or the chassis, not both.

The only big issue is trying to do such a thing at home!! Or asking an indie to do it who hasn't got the right winch...

Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - gordonbennet
Being a fly on the wall in the workshop whilst the mechs on bonus do one of these would be interesting, and then comparing the time spent with the invoiced hours.

I know an ex MD mech who could slip a new clutch in under an hour (2 of them on the job to be fair), the customer paid the standard workshop time of 6 IIRC.
Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - craig-pd130

@ Victorbox, yes, the Audi A4 / A6 and VW Passats with longitudinal PD diesel engines are the same. Front bumper comes off, radiator moved forward etc etc to give clearance to remove the cambelt cover and slip the belt off the pulleys.

It's an involved job, and when my old Passat needed the job doing, I found the VW main dealer was actually a bit cheaper than a trusted local independent for the job, which surprised me.

Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - piston power

@ Victorbox, yes, the Audi A4 / A6 and VW Passats with longitudinal PD diesel engines are the same. Front bumper comes off, radiator moved forward etc etc to give clearance to remove the cambelt cover and slip the belt off the pulleys.

It's an involved job, and when my old Passat needed the job doing, I found the VW main dealer was actually a bit cheaper than a trusted local independent for the job, which surprised me.

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f8/ Ask these lot if you have to they know them inside out.

Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - barney100

Been watching mega factories adn its fascinating to see how cars are built. They go down production lines and robots and people put them together in a very specific way with little regard for the problems Joe bloggs is going to have changing his cambelt etc on a Saturday morning. Cynics may think that manufacturers make it hard for us on purpose.....just realised I'm a cynic.

Land Rover Discovery 4 - Turbo replacement Discovery - robbbass

re the need to remove the body to change turbos on the Disco 4 - our local garage LA Cars in Chelmsford has a way of doing it w/o removing the body - takes a wee bit longer, but costs a lot less that a Landy dealer.