Insurance Claim Issue - Sizer

OK, was at a well known family holiday centre like Haven, Butlins etc.. in the car park (with gates and barriers to prevent public entry)

I went into reception leaving my 12yr old son and 5yr old daughter to get out the car and come in when they were ready.

They came in and my son said the duaghter fell out the car and the door knocked the door handle of the car next to us. He said it was a very light tap. There was a scratch on the door handle, 2cm by 1mm long. The owner of the other car claimed this was not there before hand.

I wasnt there so didnt see what happened and have no idea if the damage was there already or not. The woman wants to claim off my insurance....what will be the likely outcome??

Insurance Claim Issue - pcvpilotmick

An insurance claim for a 2cm scratch?

Give her a fiver for a paint touch up stick and wish her a happy holiday!

Was your daughter ok?

Insurance Claim Issue - Sizer

Yes thank you, she was fine.

It is a bit trivial but she seems quite insistant, Im going to call ins. co. tomorrow and see what they advise.

Insurance Claim Issue - pcvpilotmick

If it was me, I would be inclined to say that the scratch appeared to be old damage.

A friend of mine years ago had someone open a door into the side of his car, which left a nice crease in the door. A 2cm scratch on a door handle doesn't sound to be consistent with having a car door opened into it, so I would stand my ground over this.

Is there any damage to your door?

Insurance Claim Issue - Peter D

Why did you not open the door again and see if the potential point of impact is was in fact where the mark was. If it was then you are liable. Regards Peter

Insurance Claim Issue - jamie745

Why would somebody want to claim on insurance and risk higher future premiums and lose their no claims over a 2cm scratch?