Renault Clio 1.5dci expression - help renault clio mot failed?how much to fix? - CR

Hi had MOT on Renault clio today it failed on these things;

Nearside Front constant Velocity joint gaiter split

Nearside streering wheel rack gaiter split

Nearside front brake disc in such condition that its seriously weakened

Exhaust emits an excessive level of metered smoke for non turbo charged engine

Emissions failed too.

Please can someone tell me how much these will cost to fix only had the car in sept 2010 i know nothing about these things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.

Renault Clio 1.5dci expression - help renault clio mot failed?how much to fix? - ddr

Um, best thing to do is surely ask a couple of local garages? How about the place that did the MOT. All should be less than £200, except the smoke which is an unknown.

Renault Clio 1.5dci expression - help renault clio mot failed?how much to fix? - Avant

Good advice. But - and you'll probably hate me for saying this - you need to compare the estimate of total costs with what the car is worth, and consider whether that sort of money might be better spent on another car - i.e sell the Clio to someone who might use the parts.

That's particularly worth thinking about if the emissions problem indicates something seriously, and expensively, wrong with the engine.

Edited by Avant on 31/03/2011 at 23:01

Renault Clio 1.5dci expression - help renault clio mot failed?how much to fix? - Victorbox

You will be paying for both front discs to be done not just failed disc as they must be fitted in pairs with new brake pads as well. Gaiters don't cost much, it's the labour to fit them but I'd guess about £200 as well for gaiters, discs and pads. As suggested emissions is a whole new minefield - has the car been serviced since you had it? Possibly not if brake discs are that thin. A proper service may be all that is needed to fix emissions.

Edited by Victorbox on 31/03/2011 at 23:00

Renault Clio 1.5dci expression - help renault clio mot failed?how much to fix? - CR

Hi thank you all for your help I shall be considering all options. The car did not come with no service history so do not know when it was last serviced. How much does a service cost this is my 3rd car have had not luck what so ever with them. I had the car moted at my local council test centre which they do not do repairs.

Thanks again.

Renault Clio 1.5dci expression - help renault clio mot failed?how much to fix? - dieselnut

You need to get the emissions problem diagnosed before spending any more money on this car.

It could be as simple as a blocked air filter or as expensive as a worn out engine needing replacement.