2002 peugeot 307 rapier hdi 2.0 - engine management, antipollution warning HELPPP - 16queen

Hi this is my first post and Im a tad concerned about my new car

I just got a 2002 peugeot hdi model 2.0 (variant 3crhy?) and its got the anti-pollution warning (goes off when you drive?) the engine management light is on and stays on when you drive and also a stop light keeps flashing at me.

I have only just got the car, its done just over 100,000 miles. I have read lots of scary stories etc..what is the best action for me to take?

I dont mind having the car repaired but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information about what the error is and whether anyone can actually diagnose it correctly?

Also is it advisable to still drive it or not?

Thanks x

2002 peugeot 307 rapier hdi 2.0 - engine management, antipollution warning HELPPP - dieselnut

I think the RHY engine is the basic 90bhp, with turbo but no intercooler, so shouldn't have the dreded particle filter that can cause this warning message.

So would think its most likely a blocked up EGR valve or faulty MAF airflow sensor.

The EGR can be removed & cleaned up & checked for function.

The MAF would need live data readings to check its function which would probably cost as much as a new MAF, available for about £100.

You could always try an Italian tuneup, drive it at about 3000 revs for at least 10 miles & see if that cleans things up a bit.

2002 peugeot 307 rapier hdi 2.0 - engine management, antipollution warning HELPPP - 16queen

HI thankyou very much for your advice, Im going to try the 10 miles down the road job and see what happens, its booked in the local garage tomorrow and will see what they say. Would you say its ok for me to drive to work (literally about 10 miles a day?)

What does RHY mean?

thanks again

I tried the 3000 rev run and it got just down the road and faded off & conked out, it started again but still the same..the help sign is no longer flashing. ggrrrr

just had the codes read and they are P1138 AND P1112..aparently it is common when they are combined..something to do with the fuel pressure sensor or possibly the wiring going into the fuel pump...any advice/help greatly appreciated!