HGV DRIVERS - Stokie1

Not sure if this is the right section or even the right forum to post this question but I thought id post it anyway because I cant seem to get a straight answer from anywhere else...hope some one can help

I've been considering getting my hgv licence for some years now but I've always been put off at the thought of having to spend nights away from home. I am 25 and have a one year old son and a mrs so do not like the idea of never seeing my family.

Working shifts doesnt bother me, if I had to work days, nights and noons I'd be fine with that but I certainly dont want to be in a position where I'm out all week, EVERY WEEK. I wouldnt mind having to sleep out in the cab every now and then, like once every couple of weeks for example, I realise we have to take the rough with the smooth.

I have family members who hold there class 1 licence, 2 uncles and a cousin. One uncle starts around 6am and is back home for about 3pm most days, I dont know how much he gets paid or anything.

My other uncle does 12 hour shifts, four on four off but is home every night.

My cousin on the other hand is out all week from monday to friday night and he loves it but this is what I DONT want.

I also know other lads from the footy who do various shifts and hours but my question is how likely is it to get a job where you are at home every (or most) nights ? I hear all sorts of horror stories on the internet about 80+ hour weeks and never been home and family life taking the brunt of it all. Then i hear other stories of cushy 9-5 jobs, Im sure alot of stuff is from people who know nothing or from people who are just trying to put newbies off getting there licence for whatever reason.

Basically I'm not loaded, (far from it) but NEED to change jobs, so what are the chances of getting a HGV job where I can be home at night. I understand that the BIG money jobs are class one artic and to be making 30k + you've gotta put the hours in and be out all the time (in most cases) but wouldnt I be more than likely to find what Im lookin for if I only did my class 2 and was happy to accepte far less (more like about 18k). Over the years I've learned that job satisfaction is more important than the money (to me). Is it worth me investing 1k or how ever much it costs to do my class 2 with the hope of getting work where I can be home at night ? ?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any info in advance

HGV DRIVERS - justadriver

First, how much work is there where you live? Nowadays i think you will have to do class 2 first(not sure!) but get a licence application form, do the medical, average cost £100, don't forget your training will set you back about a£1000 or so, but see if one of your relatives can introduce you where he works. if you are 25 I also think you have to pass 7.5 ton test first, ask at a hgv driving school, but they will give you an assessment. I am sure if you google hgv training it will give you some information. I stopped driving hgv just didn't enjoy the hassle and the costant aren't you there yet. make sure you have the willpower to not be pressured into breaking the law. Fines are bigger for infringements for hgv drivers ad you are responsable for faults on your vehicle and if you get too many they'll revoke your licence at renewal. Perhaps not very clear but look at the financial cost as well as all the rest. Good luck, hope you get sorted.

HGV DRIVERS - gordonbennet

The thorny question of nights out might well depend on where you live in the country, if you are central..ie Midlands, London or major urban area then you should be able to get day work. If you live in more outlying areas then that's not going to be so easy for obvious reasons.

Rigid licence will not be much use to be honest unless you have an own account job in mind (own account...mainly transporting the companies own goods), you have a much better chance of getting work if you go the whole hog and get the artic licence.

Your big problem together with everyone else new is that few will employ people with less than 2 years experience, you'll just have to wing it as best you can in the early days, and accept anything that's going.

Remember to moan and complain about every single thing you can think of, that way you'll fit in with the majority of moaning licence holders that pass for drivers these days...and if you find the elusive job that pays a grand a week for doing naff all still winge till the cows come home about it....:-)

Agency work is usually no nights out, and is often better paid than the drivers directly employed by the company.

Worth perusing a few transport forums for up to date info, PDA and Trucknet are two to kick off with.

HGV DRIVERS - Stokie1

Yea Im aware of the costs and having to get the class 2 before moving onto class 1, no need to do 7.5 ton first tho as this comes under the class 2 or cat C as its now known. I've done all me home work with regards to the cost, types of licene ect and know all about tramping etc i was just a little unsure with regards to the avaliability of work that doesnt involve living away from home all week considering I live in the Stoke on Trent area we are a pretty central location. I'm not really interested in hearing weather any one thinks I should do the licence or not that is almost pretty much guaranteed for every horror story I here about HGV Ii could give you a hundred with regards to every other job out there. I know there are 6am-2pm jobs etc out there but seen as google, forums and job centre searches are very limited as to info regarding hours I am unsure as to the stopping all week , being at home most nights situation

Thanks for the replys tho guys, much appreciated.

Edited by Stokie1 on 28/03/2011 at 22:37

HGV DRIVERS - jc2

With a rigid,it'll be sand/gravel or skips.

HGV DRIVERS - Stokie1

^^ lol stopping out all night or back home was the question ^^ ;)

HGV DRIVERS - Sofa Spud

I worked as an HGV driver years ago.

One question you need to ask yourself is:

"Do I get bored on long motorway journeys in my car?"

If the answer is 'yes', then how would you feel about doing long motoway journeys day after day, much of the time at a steady 56 mph?

I know conditions have changed since I was a lorry driver, but some things remain the same. Cargo handling is mostly mechanised these days but you'll still probably have to do handballing occasionally, which is backbreaking if your'e not used to it.

Having said that, an HGV licence is worth having and if you have an interest in lorries, haulage and roads, then lorry driving becomes a way of life. You also need to be able to stand your ground, when neccessary, against customers, bosses, mechanics and other lorry drivers as well as coping with traffic all day long.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 29/03/2011 at 18:16

HGV DRIVERS - Stokie1

I get bored working in an office as well, I got bored when I was an insurance advisor sitting on the phones talking to thick people all day who didnt understand how NCB works. All jobs are boring, Im taking my LGV test and I will pass it, but before I do I was asking about day jobs but since my original question I've managed to find the answer I was looking for by doing my own research more in depth just thought it would be easier to ask on a forum to be honest and yea the answer to my question is there is alot of day work available.

HGV DRIVERS - craneboy

If you really want day work perhaps you could just do your class 2 licence and suppliment it with another course such as ADR or Hi-ab for instance. There is plenty of class 2 day work out there (builders merchants etc) However it is of course a trade off with earning less money. Dont forget there are now additional costs involved in obtaining a licence. Since 2009 in order to drive HGVs for a living you will also need CPC certification. This involves a total of 35 hours of classroom work on top of your practical training and test. I think however it can be split into seperate day long modules. Not sure on the costs for CPC at the moment, perhaps someone else can enlighten us? It would also help enormously if you also already have a digital tacho card ready to show an employer. I think these are around £45? hope this helps and good luck for the future.

HGV DRIVERS - PatrickO

You will be able to get a job just doing days/shifts or 4 on 4 off from own account transport companies i.e. the supermarkets or companies that deliver their own products.

You will struggle to get a job without the 2 years experience though. Some firms will take on newbies and send them out with an old hand for a week to learn the ropes. You need to do this as the test/training does not prepare you for some of the dangers/problems you will face.

Tramping is usually carried out by drivers working for general hauliers for hire.

Edited by PatrickO on 31/03/2011 at 12:16

HGV DRIVERS - Stokie1

Best answer so far mate cheers, you'd be shocked how many forums I've asked the same question on to be met with answers such as "DONT DO IT" and "its really expensive yout know" and "you'll work 25 hours a day" and "you'll never have a social life" etc, none of which I asked about, I cant believe how many people dont read the question and start a rant about how much the hate HGV driving (yet spend all their free time on HGV forums) so thanks for actually answering my question.

same goes for the others on this forum. Cheers ;)

HGV DRIVERS - pda

Stokie

You're question has been asked and answered on many forums.

None of us can understand you asking when you already know all the answers.

That will change if you pursue lorry driving as a career.

Pat

HGV DRIVERS - Stokie1

Pat, you and the ilk on the PDA forum didnt answer anything, a few good posters answered the question and I am gratefull for that but yourself and a few others seemed to thick to grasp what I was asking even though I made it clear, seems the good posters on this forum had no trouble doing such.

I've paid for my medical, sent of for my provisional but havent paid for my training course as of yet but will do as soon as and after doing my own research and after reading the replys of the people on here I am happy and confident of finding day work if the offer of day/night shifts falls thru with my uncles firm :) xx

HGV DRIVERS - stampy

I suggest you answer your own question yourself by going online to jobcentre plus, see how many LGV jobs are going that would suit you,

HGV DRIVERS - Stokie1

Already did mate but I know alot of jobs advertised dont exist and are a ploy by agencies to get you on their books and a lot of the jobs advertised dont give much info with regards to hours . Since posting this thread though I've learned that the hours and jobs are there, I've done by medical and sent of for my provisional and am in the proccess of sorting my theory out now. Looking forward to my training :)

HGV DRIVERS - Problem_Polo :-/

Good news then, I was going to make the suggestion of considering going down the PCV (bus) licence route as an alternative, as you'll certainly make it home every day and you won't get lonely! Plenty of jobs and free training as well. But if you've already got the ball rolling with the LGV, then good luck! :-)

HGV DRIVERS - Stokie1

PCV is some thing I considered at great lenght at one point but dont think I'd have the patience to deal with students and school kids and packed buses on a daily basis and drunks on a friday and saturday night lol