Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Citroen refunding cost for new springs? - ferretlove

I've got a 2003 Citroen Berlingo Multispace 2 litre HDi. Quite a few years ago Citroen recalled the Berlingos because there was a problem with the front suspension springs and they wanted to fit some "cups" to prevent fractured springs from "piercing" the front tyres. Now my left spring is fractured, I'm abroad at the moment and facing a 400 Euro bill to replace both front springs. My question is, my husband said that Citroen obviously knew there was a problem with the springs so he thinks Citroen should have replaced the springs in the first place and not just fitted cups underneath. Has anybody tried claiming money back from Citroen that was spent on having new springs fitted? What are my chances? I have looked through this web site and know that there is a general problem with front suspension springs in European cars.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Citroen refunding cost for new springs? - Peter.N.

Sadly coil spring failures are all to common now and not restricted to Citroens, just another instance of the downward trend in modern car quality, although advisable, you don't have to replace both springs, the worse that can happen is that the suspension will be a little higher on the new side.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Citroen refunding cost for new springs? - barkas

In 2003/4, a number of berlingo accidents which caused loss of life in france were investigated by the french authorities, they found the accidents were caused by a broken front spring bottom coil which protruded out slicing into the inside of the tyre which instantly peeled the tyre from the wheel causing a number of fatal crashes, in one crash a whole family with children were killed. as usual with car companies trying to avoid massive recall costs...Citroen were hoping to keep quiet about it all until they were rumbled and threatened with court action by the french Govt. Citroen responded with the 2 following announcment...1...Any front spring that breaks on a berlingo up to a certain age (4 years old) will be replaced free of charge at a main dealer. 2 A split cup will be fitted to the bottom of the front spring on all berlingos as a free recall...I bought my berlingo (02) in 2004, both front springs broke but I didnt know about the free spring change and got a local garage to fit a new pair for £200, the cup mod was carried out in 2006. The cup mod is a cop out, it pays mere lip service to the real problem and covers Citroens ass if sued in court . When I got my car back I checked the new springs, and found one was not seated correctly on the strut seat...and the other was fitted upside down which makes the car dangerous to drive, I found out later that the garage was using semi-skilled labour during busy periods for "Chassis work". to check yours, look for the white lettering declaring "TOP" on the spring and make sure its at the top and not upside down on the bottom of the spring like mine. My new springs have been on now for 4 years trouble free. Citroen should have recalled for new springs, it only takes 30 mins to change one, and it would have shown they care, if the bottom coil breaks on your car now, you wont be able to see it because of the cup. BUT..the cup will stop it from slicing into your tyre, thats shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted...... still a good car tho...never rust.

Edited by barkas on 19/05/2011 at 03:01