Best Medium Diesel for 2000 - 2500 pound - Gazza
Dear all,

I am looking for a 2000 - 2500 pounds diesel. Requirements are:
1) Mondeo size or bigger
2) Has to be better than 43mpg, ideally better 47mpg
3) Air-con
4) Group 13 insurance or less
I do not mind buying from auctionsand I do not mind driving an auto. I just want good reliability, cheap parts as I will servicing it myself and very nice to drive.

Any ideas?

PS. My preivous cars were Sierra, Mondeo & Maxima QX

Thanks,
Garrison
Best Medium Diesel for 2000 - 2500 pound - oldtoffee
Tricky - Mondeo or Vectra would give you the servicing and cheap spares but not the nice to drive. Pug 406 or Xantia drive better but would cost you a bit more to look after. IMHO!
I understand that petrol Mondeo received new engines from 98S onwards.

Did it have a new diesel as well or it is still the crap 1.8TD from Sierra years?

The thing is a 2.0 will get 40mpg according to HonestJohn and that's the old engine (98R). I heard the new engine is even more economical so no point to go for Mondeo diesel unless it does 50mpg or better.

Garrison
Best Medium Diesel for 2000 - 2500 pound - madf
Audi 80tdi?

madf
I want newer cars, ideally P/R reg. I think 80 is old and small inside. A4 is still too small inside.
Best Medium Diesel for 2000 - 2500 pound - DavidHM
Mondeo does 43mpg iirc and no, it is the horrible old 1.8 Sierra engine right up to the current shape.

Probably your best bet is to try and find a 99 Xantia HDi at auction, although that might be stretching your budget quite a bit.

Weren't you the one who was offered £3500 for the Maxima? Hope you took it.
Isn't Citroen expensive to maintain? I used to run a 94L Mondeo 1.8 16v LX for 2 years and 40k and spent 600 pounds total on maintenance, repair, Mot, tyres, etc. Will a Citroen be more expensive to run?

Yes, I took the money hence I need a car as soon as possible.
It is a change of mileage which made me consider a diesel. I used to do 20k a year and now I will be averaging 28k a year. A 3L QX is rather too much even though I average 27 mpg which is not bad for a 3L.

Actually, is it worth getting a diesel or should I revert back to driving Mondeo, may be a 99V 2.0 LX which I'll probably get around 38-40mpg?

FYI, I have a very light throttle foot.
Best Medium Diesel for 2000 - 2500 pound - TrevorP
VW Passat Tdi comes nearest to your (impossible?) wishlist.

Whether you can get one for your budget is another question.

Mondeo 2.0? about 33-35 mpg. Td :- 40-44.
Yeah, it'll be worth getting a diesel.

Over those mileages (84k in 3 years), and with a best case scenario, you'd spend about £2k more at 40mpg than 55mpg. Not sure about Xantia reliability - I've heard very conflicting reports and never owned one myself.

However, £2k is still a lot of money to spend on fuel, so if you're unlucky, you spend it on parts, if you're lucky, on a holiday or something.

Given that you'll probably buy a car with about 80k on the clock, and double it, you're not going to be too concerned about resale value, as you'll be lucky to get £800 for a seven year old car with 150k+ on the clock, however well looked after it is.

In the end I think the petrol vs. diesel thing just comes down to purchase price, and what is there on the day of the auction and looks good.
The wish list is easy - double the budget and he'd have a new car in 2 hours.
Best Medium Diesel for 2000 - 2500 pound - Big Cat
Worth looking at the Rover 600 TD. The L-series engine has a good reputation for reliability and economy (it's direct injection).
Has a stainless steel head gasket and seems far more durable than the Rover K-series petrol engines.
Rest of the 600 is basically Honda, so few if any problems there.
Best Medium Diesel for 2000 - 2500 pound - brambob

A good bet could be to sign on to Autotrader www.autotrader.co.uk and do a search using keyword Diesel on all cars in your price range within within an acceptable distance from where you live. I would agree that a Passat TDI would fit your requirements and you may be able to find a higher mileage one somewhere around your budget level.>> Dear all,
I am looking for a 2000 - 2500 pounds diesel.
Requirements are:
1) Mondeo size or bigger
2) Has to be better than 43mpg, ideally better 47mpg
3) Air-con
4) Group 13 insurance or less
I do not mind buying from auctionsand I do not mind
driving an auto. I just want good reliability, cheap parts
as I will servicing it myself and very nice to drive.
Any ideas?
PS. My preivous cars were Sierra, Mondeo & Maxima QX
Thanks,
Garrison