Any - Pedal size of accelerator on UK automatics, - beanstalker

I need a small automatic as I have arthritis in my feet but all the cars I have looked at have exactly the same accelerator as in a three pedal car. It is just too narrow and too small. I have been advised to contact an adaptations expert but that costs money. If I have go to do that just for the pedal adaptation would I not be better off forgetting about the pedals altogether and having both the brake and accelerator on hand controls? Why do UK automatics have such an unhelpful accelerator when North American cars I have rented have such a broad and user friendly "gas" pedal?

Ted Robertson.

Any - Pedal size of accelerator on UK automatics, - injection doc

You can always buy a larger pedal and have it fitted over the excisitng one ! it doesnt cost much at all. I think some of the pedals I used to buy were about £15-20 quid and fit them to the floor with blind captives.

I used to use accelerator pedals from Opel Monza's and adapt them for many auto cars.

I can onlu asume that UK cars have adopted the small pedal to save mishaps ! they used to be large on auto's and the autos used to have massive brake pedals as well. You say an adaption will cost money but hand controls will be much more

Any - Pedal size of accelerator on UK automatics, - RaineMan

Pop into any big Halfords and you will find pedal sets from Ripspeed and Sparco which may suit. Also pop into a breakers - older 4x4s and lorries have larger pedals for driving in wellies or big boots.

Any - Pedal size of accelerator on UK automatics, - Andy P

Are the floor-hinged type too small as well?

Any - Pedal size of accelerator on UK automatics, - colinh
Think this is a function of UK being in the awkward squad, i.e., having the pedal box on the right. On the left the left foot rest can be on the wheel arch, and there's plenty of room for larger pedals; whilst on the right the space is usually limited bythe centre console.

In passing, noting HJ's passion for left-foot braking, it's not an easy matter in some left hand drive autos. The brake in the LHD Golf, for example, is offset well to the right of centre, and is a considerable distance from the foot-rest.