Ford Galaxy - Which MK3 Ford Galaxy diesel engine? - keymoo

Hi there,

I'm about to purchase a Ford Galaxy for between 9 and 11 K, 3-4 year old model with average mileage. I want a diesel but not sure which of the four diesel engines to go for. Is it worth getting the extra power in the 2.0 diesels? Does anyone know what the performance and mileage stats are for the four different engines?

Which one would you go for?

Ford Galaxy - Which MK3 Ford Galaxy diesel engine? - Nezza
All depends on what you are going to use it for. We have an 07 2.0tdci 140 and it has plenty of power for weekends away for the family of four and boot full to the brim. We also tow a caravan with it and again it has plenty of grunt. If the 170 had been available at the time I would have gone for that due to what we use a car for. The 1.8 is probably perfectly fine if you do not tow or load up often. Fuel consumption for ours varies from 32mpg on short local runs to 54 on steady motorway runs so good for a large heavy car.
We would not buy another as ours has been so unreliable. (see previous posts) It is also due in the garage again tomorrow for another £300 spending on it. :-(

Edited by Nezza on 17/03/2011 at 20:35

Ford Galaxy - Which MK3 Ford Galaxy diesel engine? - Big John

NO

The 1.9 is a better engine re longevity. The 2.0 diesel has added a balancer shaft driven by the oil pump chain - the additional load causes it to fail along with the oil pump thus causing engine failure.