Nissan Range - Nissan connect premium audio system / sat nav - uptodat

Several of us have this hard disk drive system in XTrails but I gather it has been fitted in other models in the Nissan range too - perhaps for two years. It works well but as far as I can tell there has never been an update DVD made and so owners are stuck with whatever map version was installed at manufacture. Not so much as an annual update never mind a quarterly as available by download for Garmin owners.. Is this really so - we're stuck with old maps that can't be updated? Why? Do Nissan care so little about existing customers? Who makes the system for Nissan? Is it possible to buy an update from the system manufacturer or to crack the code and update with map data bought from Navteq / Garmin / Tom Tom? Or should we stick portable units on the very impressive fitted screens and just use the audio system? Is this "known Nissan issue" replicated with other car makers and their fitted hdd satnavs?

If so, this should be public knowledge to prevent orders of expensive options when cheap after market kit will continue to offer current map data.

Nissan Range - Nissan connect premium audio system / sat nav - Ethan Edwards

Try the XT owners club as this is a frequently commented on issue. Are you looking for a T30 or T31 version?

http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/search.php?keywords=satnav+updates&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

The best option would probably be from these people who reportedly do have 2010 updates on disks.

http://www.satnav-updates.com/

My XT doesn't have the SatNav as the Birdview option was £1200 and you lost the 6 cd changer. So imo it wasn't worth the cash. I do wonder why Nissan don't just fit the new Connect system into the new XT as it's really very good indeed. I have it on my other car a N-tec Note.

Hope that helps, in any event yu'll get a warm welcome and oodles of great advice over at the XT owners site.

http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/

Nissan Range - Nissan connect premium audio system / sat nav - uptodat

Thanks for taking the trouble with a full response, but I've come here from the Xtail owners' club.

So far no update DVD has been produced for the Connect Premium HDD system and there is no sign of one on the horizon. This is pretty annoying since update DVDs are available, from the source you mention, - in 2 varieties - for the DVD driven system. These don't work for the HDD system. So the newer, premium system is actually less current than the versions it replaced. Thanks Nissan. I'll use my up to date Garmin and ignore the expensive ornament on the fascia.

Xtrail buyers beware! (Someone else can explain how rare replacement tyres are for the new Xtrails)

Nissan Range - Nissan connect premium audio system / sat nav - Ethan Edwards

Are you referring to the Nissan Connect system as fitted to the Micra, Note, Quashqi etc? The one that has Map updates stored on SD cards? Like the one in my 2010 Note N-tec?

I wasn't aware that system had been fitted to the XT.

Here's a source for the 2010 maps on an SD card.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-Connect-2010-Navteq-SD-Map-Card-Sat-Nav-/300537096849?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f9682a91

One of many on Ebay.

Or are you referring to another type of Nissan Connect Satnav?

Nissan Range - Nissan connect premium audio system / sat nav - Collos25

Cannot have built that many new roads in the UK over the last few years.

Nissan Range - Nissan connect premium audio system / sat nav - xtrailman

Thats correct, besides you always know were you are will the pointer on the screen, so you know the correct direction of travel.

I have had a 2004 version T30.

And now a 2009 version T31

Both DVD systems

The only complaint i have is no post codes, which is really poor.

The system in general is one of the best available.

Nissan Range - Nissan connect premium audio system / sat nav - Soft Roader

Cannot have built that many new roads in the UK over the last few years.

It's not just new roads, it's alterations of existing ones. Near Leyland for example, an old MOD site, has in the last four years evolved into a small town! And yes there are new roads all over Europe, which is where these dire maps cover!

Nissan Range - Nissan connect premium audio system / sat nav - daviduk

I have been having a running battle with Nissan and Glyn Hopkin their dealer in Romford.

The Connect SatNav in the Note has roads that are over 21 years out of date.

They gave me a free 2010-2011 SD update and the roads are still 21 years out of date.

Last year came back from France and the SatNav didn't know where we were for over 10 miles. Came out of a car park in Bishops Stortford last week and it didn't know where we were till we got to Stanstead Airport.

Rubbish mapping from TeleAtlas.

Better buy a portable for £60 plus pounds that are usually up to date.

Nissan Range - Nissan connect premium audio system / sat nav - datostar

I'm surprised the Renault connection hasn't led to them installing the Carminat TomTom instead. Regular map updates, Live Traffic, speed cams, IQ Routes, Lane Guidance, various voices, Map Share etc. etc.

I have a Garmin and believe me its terrible whole autobahns are missing in Germany eveen my address in the UK is missing and the road has been there since 1930 it is the latest model and I have used the map update program.I do not know where they get their mapping from probably some department of the roman legion transport division.

I have a 2009 xtrail, also had a 2004 xtrail.

Both fitted with sat nav which in both cases was/is excellent.

I also have a 2011 garmin 1390T which in comparison is useless, the only advantage is the Garmin takes post codes, which the latest xtrail does.

So i really think your grip is unfounded.

I have recently updated the Garmins speed camera data, and its still not up to date!

Have a look at this forum, the picture gets worse with the maps, and as at June 2012, the system still doesn't work.

http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3682&p=31532#p31532

Stef

Edited by Soft Roader on 19/06/2012 at 21:11

Perhaps if the government forced all the mapping data companies to work together, between them they will get it right? Then we may be able to trust the additinal voice in our car!

Nissan Range - Nissan connect premium audio system / sat nav - RT

Perhaps if the government forced all the mapping data companies to work together, between them they will get it right? Then we may be able to trust the additinal voice in our car!

Perhaps if car manufacturers simply offered a dashboard housing for TomTom, Garmin, Snooper etc they wouldn't get constantly criticised for naff out-of-date satnavs which seem to be built in by every manufacturer.

Satnavs depend on the US military so don't expect higher standards from anyone else involved.

Sar b
Sat nav was the domain of the US military but for many years they have used a far more sofisticated system.Gps is open to anybody providing they have the money for the licence.

Mazda CX5 has tom tom, on a very small screen

Nissan Range - Nissan connect premium audio system / sat nav - Bigdaveg

I've never opted for the "attached sat nav" and so can't really comment, however going on reviews the Nissan Connect system is supposedly a very good one.

The problem is how do you update the sat nav and does the manufacturer provide a link on it's main web site, going on my own expierence with a tom tom, even with the latest update it can be out of date/wrong and then there's the cost, maybe the likes of Nissan could earn some extra revenue by providing frequent updates ?.

I've never opted for the "attached sat nav" and so can't really comment, however going on reviews the Nissan Connect system is supposedly a very good one.

The problem is how do you update the sat nav and does the manufacturer provide a link on it's main web site, going on my own expierence with a tom tom, even with the latest update it can be out of date/wrong and then there's the cost, maybe the likes of Nissan could earn some extra revenue by providing frequent updates ?.

Nissan will supply you with an update DVD every 4-5yrs (yes 4-5yrs!) for £260+ which will obviously be at least three years out of date. Nissan are supplying a real no brainer, but they will not listen. Nissan CustomerServices are really poor, and the Managing Director and his trouble shooter are no better. I bought a 2011 Tekna, and didn't want another sat nav, but it came as a non-negotiable addition with the trim. It is dire. Nissan advertise it as 'always know where you are' which is a complete lie. They blame the company that supplies the maps, but they are still peddling a worthless piece of junk, on an otherwise very nice £30K car. One guy from NCS suggested that I trade in my 3 month old Tekna against a more basic model, so I no longer have the sat nav, and that isn't a joke!

Nissan Range - Nissan connect premium audio system / sat nav - Bigdaveg

I'll never buy a car from a main dealer again, having bought from independents for quite a while and then getting my latest car from a Main dealer was an eye opener, I thought my own situation would've been a one off, but no a relative bought a 2nd hand beemer; flat tyre & shoddy valetting etc, If that was'nt bad enough; it's do you want this very reasonable (but massively overpriced) extra, or this very reasonable (but massively overpriced) extra, whereas an independent does'nt push extra's, does genuinely care about the customer, because a happy customer normally returns ;-), and will ensure that the car is fully prepped and ready for the customer.

Nissan sales & service do take a hammering especially when compared to the likes of Honda (see which's ratings), as for updating Nissan connect, if it is £260+ as you say, it'll be years out of date anyway, and would'nt it be cheaper to get a tom tom for less than £100 and get that updated for 4 years, lol. The connect system is'nt cheap for starters and if you're right adding another £260+ on top for out of date updates is somewhat taking the Pi??.

Edited by Bigdaveg on 22/06/2012 at 20:09