Volkswagen Golf I GTI 2000 - Central locking and driver side door light fault - Becki273

Right got a problem with driver door light (Bottom right) staying on even when door is closed and locked, I'm not sure if these are connected but the central locking system doesn't seem to be working properly either, using the key fob have no problems with opening the car but can't lock it, have to use the key manually.

But when my partner started messing around with the door latch he seemed to knock the U shaped piece back into the door (Where it got stuck for some time so we couldn't close the door at all!) the light turned off. After pulling the interior door handle and the latch re-jigged itself back into place (As if the door was locked) the light came back on.

Could this fault have anything to do with the latch perhaps being out of line or stiff in some way? We've sprayed it with wd40 to see what that would achieve but nothing! It seems I can have the ligvht off but not able to close the door or vice versa

Someone please help!

Simple terms please I know nothing about cars!!

Volkswagen Golf I GTI 2000 - Central locking and driver side door light fault - elekie&a/c doctor

The interior/door light system on these is switched from a microswitch in the door latch mechanism.I would think there is wear in the latch assy causing the u shaped part of the latch to not "throw" adequately to turn off the light circuit.Not an uncommon fault on these but replacing the latch is a bit of a mission.hth

Volkswagen Golf I GTI 2000 - Central locking and driver side door light fault - Becki273

Great! :(

Okay is this a problem worth going to the garage about and having it fixed there or would I be able to do it myself?

Would this have affected the central locking system in any way?

also if it is better to go to the garage about how much am I looking to pay?

I don't use a VW garage I use a local garage would this affect the cost in any way?

Volkswagen Golf I GTI 2000 - Central locking and driver side door light fault - elekie&a/c doctor
You are probably going to need a new latch unit ,around £80 from memory.This job requires a total door strip out to replace it .If you are not car familiar then leave it to a local garage.This fault will cause the cdl sysytem to malfunction as the controller thinks a door is open and thus will not central lock.hth

Thank you so much!!

Been driving me mad what could be wrong explains everything thank you again